Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default good Digi-Key transaction

I haven't bought from Digi-Key in a long time. I needed some C&K switches,
and got a pleasant surprise when I ordered.

Digi-Key no longer requires a minimum purchase. And they have eight-ounce
First Class shipment for under $3. Not bad. I ordered Monday, and had the
parts Wednesday.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 30, 6:31*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
I haven't bought from Digi-Key in a long time. I needed some C&K switches,
and got a pleasant surprise when I ordered.

Digi-Key no longer requires a minimum purchase. And they have eight-ounce
First Class shipment for under $3. Not bad. I ordered Monday, and had the
parts Wednesday.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Now, if they would just make it so I can use their website!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote:
I haven't bought from Digi-Key in a long time. I needed some C&K switches,
and got a pleasant surprise when I ordered.

Digi-Key no longer requires a minimum purchase. And they have eight-ounce
First Class shipment for under $3. Not bad. I ordered Monday, and had the
parts Wednesday.

Nice, thanks for the information William. I always ordered from Mouser for
this very reason, now I can consider DK a viable source for small purchases.

On a not entirely unrelated note, I was saddened to see that my local parts
store, NORVAC Electronics, is no longer in business (just an empty building
with "CLOSED" on the door). They were the last electronics store here in
Eugene, and were a reliable source of heat shrink tubing, discreets, NTE
components, and crimping terminals (among many other items). It was nice to
be able to pop down there in the middle of a project when I needed a few
extra items, and they will be missed.

Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:
[...]

Their web site says they are still in Eugene, OR. Perhaps they moved?

http://www.norvac.net/

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John Robertson" wrote:
Their web site says they are still in Eugene, OR. Perhaps they moved?

http://www.norvac.net/

I wish that was the case. I called the local number and got a voicemail
message from the manager (I recognized his voice), left in February, stating
they were beginning their "going out of business liquidation sale."
Calling the Beaverton store (up by Portland) retrieves a similar message
left yesterday, so it appears that the entire company has gone belly up.

I do remember a conversation with one of the employees last year, in which
he mentioned that business was slowing down, so perhaps this had been in the
works for awhile.

Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
"John Robertson" wrote:
Their web site says they are still in Eugene, OR. Perhaps they moved?

http://www.norvac.net/

I wish that was the case. I called the local number and got a voicemail
message from the manager (I recognized his voice), left in February, stating
they were beginning their "going out of business liquidation sale."
Calling the Beaverton store (up by Portland) retrieves a similar message
left yesterday, so it appears that the entire company has gone belly up.

I do remember a conversation with one of the employees last year, in which
he mentioned that business was slowing down, so perhaps this had been in the
works for awhile.

Jon

That's interesting. We have at least four stores in the Vancouver, BC
area (not Vancouver, Washington) that cater to hobbiests and industry,
and all are busy when I visit!

www.mainelectronics.com
www.rpelectronics.com
www.leescomponents.com
www.interiorelectronics.com

They all seem in good shape...

And they are indeed handy to have around when you need something right
now! Soldering station tips, tools, various project boxes,
etc...everything the hobbiest or small repair shop needs to get the job
done.

Now mind you one other store did close recently - Active Componenets -
who were the retail store for Future Electronics, but they were never
busy when I dropped in.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I haven't bought from Digi-Key in a long time. I needed some C&K switches,
and got a pleasant surprise when I ordered.

Digi-Key no longer requires a minimum purchase. And they have eight-ounce
First Class shipment for under $3. Not bad. I ordered Monday, and had the
parts Wednesday.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

I can do better than that. I ordered from Digi-Key some Panasonic sliders
that were needed for a Peavey mixer amp, and which Peavey UK - or anyone
else in the UK for that matter - didn't have in stock. I placed the order
around lunchtime on the one day, and received a confirming email back within
minutes. I also had to declare the end use, because your government is
paranoid about where the items are going to finish up. After returning this,
within a very short time, I received another mail to say that the goods had
shipped. They arrived on my doormat on the afternoon of the following day.

I guess that when the order was placed, it was early morning stateside, and
I was just lucky in the way that my order caught collections and customs and
flights and clearance into the postal system this end, but never-the-less,
how good a service was that ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

My point was more that Digi-Key was now willing to take small orders without
a surcharge, and ship them inexpensively. But that's incredible service. I
suspect Digi-Key does enough business in GB that it can ship its daily order
"in bulk", and has a local agent that handles splitting it up and getting it
out.

One of the reasons Digi-Key had the part you wanted is that D-K (not to be
confused with the British publisher) started its business by carrying
specific ranges of products (rather than a company's entire line) in depth.
If you wanted a particular kind of Panasonic capacitor, and D-K stocked that
range, you were virtually assured of it being available when you ordered. By
expanding one range at a time, D-K kept its reputation for availability. D-K
is almost always the first place I look for name-brand parts.

When it comes to Chinese "junk", take a look at monoprice. It has
decent-quality stuff at prices that will have your jaw hanging.

By the way, in the US a "slider" is a White Castle hamburger. The name
apparently derives from their small size -- they slide right down your
gullet.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

they slide right out too, usually faster than they go it. I suspect
they're cooked in castor oil.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 07:35:57 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

SNIP

By the way, in the US a "slider" is a White Castle hamburger. The name
apparently derives from their small size -- they slide right down your
gullet.

And keep right on sliding...

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

and out the other end in short time !

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

I can do better than that. I ordered from Digi-Key some Panasonic sliders
that were needed for a Peavey mixer amp, and which Peavey UK - or anyone
else in the UK for that matter - didn't have in stock. I placed the order
around lunchtime on the one day, and received a confirming email back within
minutes. I also had to declare the end use, because your government is
paranoid about where the items are going to finish up. After returning this,
within a very short time, I received another mail to say that the goods had
shipped. They arrived on my doormat on the afternoon of the following day.

Those are called 'Slide Pots' or 'Slide Potentiometers' over here.

I guess that when the order was placed, it was early morning stateside, and
I was just lucky in the way that my order caught collections and customs and
flights and clearance into the postal system this end, but never-the-less,
how good a service was that ?

What some people don't realize is just how big some US distributors
are. For instance: MCM took up a large part of an industrial park, back
in the '80s. They have everything optimized for fast order picking, and
empty tractor trailers sitting there waiting for the orders. The picked
orders go directly to the regional hubs for each shipping service, not
the local office. I used to deal with MCM on a weekly basis, when I
lived in the area, about 25 years ago.. Sometimes I needed something
that day, so I would make the 45 minute drive to use 'Will Call'. The
order was always waiting at the front counter, and I would pass 20 to 30
trailers at their docks that were being loaded for UPS & USPS. Another
reason I made that trip about once a month was to dig through the
closeout items, and samples of things that never made their catalog. I
found a lot of interesting & useful items that they felt wouldn't sell
in large enough quantities to be worth their trouble.

Your order was likely at the airport within 45 minutes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Now, if they would just make it so I can use their website!

I didn't have any particular problems. I used the dynamic catalog to locate
what I wanted, then placed an order.

Digi-Key Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 November 11th 09 08:46 PM
Tricky eBay Transaction Frugal Farmer Home Repair 78 October 29th 07 08:07 PM
ProPay: Have to enter data on same day as transaction? [email protected] Woodturning 3 February 27th 05 10:43 PM
Sky digi-sender to a PC? bigbrian UK diy 6 July 8th 03 02:56 PM