DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Washing machine info ... (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/338000-washing-machine-info.html)

Arfa Daily March 30th 12 01:23 AM

Washing machine info ...

Anyone know of a free site UK-side, that archives service info for domestic
appliances ? My Hotpoint WMA64 washing machine has gone belly up today. Drum
motor doesn't run on wash, rise or spin. Probably just motor brushes, but
the motor is right underneath, and I didn't have time to prat about with it
today. A basic wiring diagram might be handy, if it turns out to be not
directly related to the motor itself

Arfa

klem kedidelhopper March 30th 12 08:49 PM

Washing machine info ...

On Mar 29, 8:23*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
Anyone know of a free site UK-side, that archives service info for domestic
appliances ? My Hotpoint WMA64 washing machine has gone belly up today. Drum
motor doesn't run on wash, rise or spin. Probably just motor brushes, but
the motor is right underneath, and I didn't have time to prat about with it
today. A basic wiring diagram might be handy, if it turns out to be not
directly related to the motor itself

Arfa

I don't know how it is in the UK but over here Hotpoint is made by GE.
Being a former GE employee I've owned many GE appliances and have
always found a small package tucked in somewhere with service
information. This usually includes a schematic as well. Look for a
small envelope of some kind. With the schematic you'll be able to see
the segments on the timer, (hopefully it's a mechanical one) and then
be able to troubleshoot it. Good luck, Lenny

N_Cook April 1st 12 03:10 PM

Washing machine info ...

Arfa Daily wrote in message
Anyone know of a free site UK-side, that archives service info for

domestic
appliances ? My Hotpoint WMA64 washing machine has gone belly up today.

Drum
motor doesn't run on wash, rise or spin. Probably just motor brushes, but
the motor is right underneath, and I didn't have time to prat about with

it
today. A basic wiring diagram might be handy, if it turns out to be not
directly related to the motor itself

Arfa

Beware of jagged metalwork , cover over/ tape down all such with something,
before working inside it

Jamie April 1st 12 03:28 PM

Washing machine info ...

N_Cook wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote in message

Anyone know of a free site UK-side, that archives service info for

domestic

appliances ? My Hotpoint WMA64 washing machine has gone belly up today.

Drum

motor doesn't run on wash, rise or spin. Probably just motor brushes, but
the motor is right underneath, and I didn't have time to prat about with

it

today. A basic wiring diagram might be handy, if it turns out to be not
directly related to the motor itself

Arfa

Beware of jagged metalwork , cover over/ tape down all such with something,
before working inside it

Oh, those were the one's they laid off. The one's that cleaned up those
issues before assembly. Look at the money they saved!

Not to worry though, I am sure they have it written up some where
that only qualified service centers should work on the appliance, and
the service center has a big disclaimer on the manual indicating to use
gloves while servicing, there by, removing all liability from the maker.

Jamie

Arfa Daily April 2nd 12 02:06 AM

Washing machine info ...

"Jamie" t wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote in message

[...]

As it happens, it is the brushes, and it's not too difficult a job to
replace them. Unfortunately, the place that I used to get such items from
locally, has closed its doors, so I have finished up ordering direct from
the Hotpoint online spares centre.

Arfa

Michael A. Terrell April 2nd 12 03:11 AM

Washing machine info ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

As it happens, it is the brushes, and it's not too difficult a job to
replace them. Unfortunately, the place that I used to get such items from
locally, has closed its doors, so I have finished up ordering direct from
the Hotpoint online spares centre.

How long do those brushes last? The old induction motorsran for
decades. I pulled the working motor out of my mom's worn out dryer
years ago. It was bought new in '57. I mad a stand for it, and added an
arbor to use it for a grinder. It was still running 50 years after it
was built.

Jamie April 2nd 12 03:58 AM

Washing machine info ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Jamie" t wrote in
message ...

N_Cook wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote in message

[...]

It seems that brushed motors are being used more now, especially in
Europe.

The last unit I had my eyes on was a multispeed, exotic functional
washing machine. It was a variable speed AC motor with no brushes. The
drive control board had half of the output fets shorted in it. He told
me that it was giving them problems in starting and it finally gave up.

So after a bad motor was also found and a bad drive board, it got tossed.

Jamie

Arfa Daily April 3rd 12 01:19 AM

Washing machine info ...

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Lenny. Not sure who actually makes them now. It used to be Hotpoint
themselves. I seem to think that they had a factory over in Wales, but I
could be wrong about that. I've owned this machine for quite some time, and
there is definitely no schematics or other info anywhere inside it. The
programmer is actually fully electronic, and is the driver board as well,
but at least it's not mounted anywhere to get wet, as some of the earlier
drive boards were.

The problem is actually the motor brushes, so I have some on order from the
Hotpoint online service site, where they are half the price of other online
suppliers. I used to be able to get them from a little domestic appliance
shop and service centre here in the village where I live, but the guy who
ran it has retired, and it is now his wife and daughter's dog grooming
business.

Brushes should arrive today, so hopefully get them fitted in. Starting to
run short of clean clothes ... !

Arfa

Arfa Daily April 3rd 12 01:25 AM

Washing machine info ...

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

As it happens, it is the brushes, and it's not too difficult a job to
replace them. Unfortunately, the place that I used to get such items from
locally, has closed its doors, so I have finished up ordering direct from
the Hotpoint online spares centre.

How long do those brushes last? The old induction motorsran for
decades. I pulled the working motor out of my mom's worn out dryer
years ago. It was bought new in '57. I mad a stand for it, and added an
arbor to use it for a grinder. It was still running 50 years after it
was built.

The machine is used pretty much every day at least once for washing the
aprons and dish towels from our food businesses, and twice or more if there
is household clothes washing to do as well. I would guess that we have owned
this model for probably 10 years, and this is the first set of brushes that
I can recall it having, so you work it out ! We had a Hotpoint before this
one, and we probably had that one 15 or more years, through all of the kids'
growing up and school years, so heavily used, and I remember getting brushes
for that from the village store, twice.

Arfa

Arfa Daily April 3rd 12 01:36 AM

Washing machine info ...

"Jamie" t wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Jamie" t wrote in
message ...

N_Cook wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote in message

[...]

I don't think that in 35 years of owning washing machines, I have ever had
one with anything other than a "universal" (as in field coils and armature
in series) brush-geared motor fitted for drum drive. Mostly the pump motors
are brushless induction motors, and certainly, all of the tumble dryers that
I have owned have had induction motor drive.

Bear in mind that in the UK, unlike in the U.S. , we went straight from
twin-tub machines, with a vertical actuator in a static tub, and a vertical
spin dryer, to front loading 'automatics'. Very considerable oomph is needed
to shift a horizontal rotating drum full of water and washing, and even more
to get it up to 1000 RPM and beyond, for spin drying. I'm not sure that a
compact induction motor would have the power and revs range to be able to do
that. Not so easy to control the rotation direction either for the
anti-tangle reversing washing action. At least I have always assumed that
was the reason that brush-geared motors were used in these machines ??

Arfa

Ron April 3rd 12 11:22 AM

Washing machine info ...

On 03/04/2012 01:36, Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Hi Arfa

I spent over 20 years repairing domestic appliances. You are right about
the twintub/front loader thing. A couple of manufacturers made top
loaders, Hotpoint, which was a huge machine used a very complicated
gearbox and centrifugal clutch arrangement - when the motor ran in one
direction it agitated the washing, and circulated the water, and in the
other direction spun the drum and drained out. All relatively trouble free.

Philips made a compact top loader with a low voltage DC motor (using the
heating element as a dropper resistor) and a silly bakelite centrifugal
clutch and variable cone drive. The drum was similar to a front loader
but mounted sideways with a hatch in the periphery.

Most if not all British front loaders used brushed motors, continental
machines generally used induction motors using capacitor control.
A couple of exceptions were Indesit and Zanussi which used brushed
motors in their high spin speed machines, I think about 800 rpm was
about the limit with an induction motor.

The few Brit machines which used induction motors - Hotpoint twintub and
top loader - used a 'relay' in series with the field coil to momentarily
energise the starting windings. If the relay stuck the magic smoke was
released!

I have no idea how many pairs of Hotpoint/Hoover/Servis/ motor brushes
I`ve changed, but it must be many many hundreds.

You can readily get service manuals for all Hotpoint machines btw.

Ron

Arfa Daily April 4th 12 01:31 AM

Washing machine info ...

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Ron. All interesting stuff. The brushes were taken out by my mate who was
here fixing my son's car whilst I was out. He took them off the motor by
leaning the machine over at 45 degrees, and taking them out from underneath.
Not so easy putting the new ones back in that way, because they are about
1.5" inches long with new springs behind them. Also, because the carriers
are inclined at about 45 deg on the motor frame, the new brushes have a
similar 45 deg 'rake' machined on the end of them so that they sit 'square'
on the commutator. It was like trying to force a jack-in-the-box into a bean
can, and getting the screws back in from that angle was nigh on impossible.
Eventually, I just took the motor out, as it was only two bolts. Then very
easy to do out on the bench. I turned the machine right over on its side to
refit it. All worked ok, so all back together now and back in service :-)

So where can you get Hotpoint service manuals ?

Arfa

Ron April 4th 12 10:52 AM

Washing machine info ...

On 04/04/2012 01:31, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

I can't for the life of me remember where I used to get them from,
possibly Willow Vale or Electrue - which are now both assimilated into
Connect Services, but I think Hotpoint themselves will sell you one.
Whenever one of the local appliance engineers got a new manual, we would
make copies for the rest of us.

Ron