DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anyone know a DVM exorcist? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/337863-anyone-know-dvm-exorcist.html)

William Sommerwerck March 26th 12 12:15 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking sound. It
persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight flickering, and
heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position, by the way.) Turning
it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume it's a
side-effect of low voltage.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Phil Hobbs March 26th 12 02:41 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking sound. It
persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight flickering, and
heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position, by the way.) Turning
it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume it's a
side-effect of low voltage.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

I have an old original Fluke 87 that did that. It turned out that the
switch rotor had got chipped, allowing the switch to rotate just a bit
past the "Off" position.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Robert Macy[_2_] March 26th 12 02:50 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

On Mar 26, 3:15*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking sound. It
persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight flickering, and
heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position, by the way.) Turning
it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume it's a
side-effect of low voltage.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Now THAT's dedication, sleeping with your DVM. ;)

N_Cook March 26th 12 02:59 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking sound. It
persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight flickering,

and
heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position, by the way.) Turning
it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume it's

side-effect of low voltage.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

never with my Fluke 77 but did have it with a SOAR 3210 DVM with low battery

William Sommerwerck March 26th 12 04:28 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately...

Sorry. I meant annunciator. Ouch.

William Sommerwerck March 26th 12 04:29 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

Now THAT's dedication, sleeping with your DVM. ;)

Uh... It was on the floor. Next to the bed. Really.

Jeff Liebermann March 26th 12 07:22 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 03:15:20 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking sound. It
persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight flickering, and
heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position, by the way.) Turning
it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

My Fluke 77 does that when the 9V battery is not quite totally dead.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume it's a
side-effect of low voltage.

Yep. You'll also find that it gives wrong voltage readings with a low
battery. The irritating part is that it will give bogus readings long
before the battery is obviously dead.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Jim Yanik March 26th 12 07:25 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

wrote:

I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking
sound. It persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight
flickering, and heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position,
by the way.) Turning it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

My Fluke 77 does that when the 9V battery is not quite totally dead.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume
it's a side-effect of low voltage.

Yep. You'll also find that it gives wrong voltage readings with a low
battery. The irritating part is that it will give bogus readings long
before the battery is obviously dead.

doesn't it have a LOW-BATT indicator on the LCD screen?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

[email protected] March 26th 12 08:18 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

On Monday, March 26, 2012 1:25:13 PM UTC-4, Jim Yanik wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

To avoid the incorrect readings, use alkaline batteries. The meter will remian more accurate for longer this way.

Yes, the Fluke 77 has a low pattery indicator. I have found that the unit gets a bit unstable before that indicator comes on. I check the battery regularly to prevent this. I don't rely on the low battery indicator.

Dan

Jeff Liebermann March 26th 12 08:43 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:25:13 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

doesn't it have a LOW-BATT indicator on the LCD screen?

Yes. The Fluke 77 has a rectangular battery symbol in the upper left
corner of the screen. When it comes on, the battery is certainly
dead. However, voltage measurements go insane somewhat before the
indicator comes on. I was checking my supply of AA alkalines in the
fridge and noticed that I was tossing far too many batteries as dead.
I checked the readings with another DVM and found that the Fluke 77
was erratically reading about 300mv low. The battery indicator never
came on. When I replaced the battery, the readings returned to
normal. I don't recall if the flashing display happened before or
after the battery indicator.

That was with an alkaline 9V battery. I'm tempted to spend the $7.00
and get a "smoke alarm" lithium battery such as an Ultralife:
http://ultralifecorporation.com/be-commercial/products/9volt/

William Sommerwerck March 26th 12 09:08 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

doesn't it have a LOW-BATT indicator on the LCD screen?

Yes. The Fluke 77 has a rectangular battery symbol in the upper left
corner of the screen. When it comes on, the battery is certainly dead.

You mean useless. If it were dead...

However, voltage measurements go insane somewhat before the
indicator comes on. I was checking my supply of AA alkalines in the
fridge and noticed that I was tossing far too many batteries as dead.

This is Most Amusing, because I was checking a pile of NiMH AA cells, and
most of them read a few tenths of a volt. Then, a few hours later, they were
all fine.

In case you're wondering... Of course I use an alkaline battery. A lithium
would be an even better choice. MCM has name-brand lithium 9V batteries for
about $5 right now.

John Robertson March 26th 12 09:13 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

wrote:

I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking sound. It
persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight flickering, and
heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position, by the way.) Turning
it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

My Fluke 77 does that when the 9V battery is not quite totally dead.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume it's a
side-effect of low voltage.

Yep. You'll also find that it gives wrong voltage readings with a low
battery. The irritating part is that it will give bogus readings long
before the battery is obviously dead.

Can you calibrate the Battery Low feature? One would think so...

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com

John-Del March 27th 12 03:45 AM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

On Mar 26, 6:15*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking sound. It
persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight flickering, and
heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position, by the way.) Turning
it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume it's a
side-effect of low voltage.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

FWIW, I had two 87s (early type) die slowly, and in the same manner.
It started out with the beeper making various noises for no reason.
In both units, I opened up the case and disabled the sounder with some
cellophane tape between the sounder and the main board. Later, they
became flakey and eventually stopped completely. My 77, which has
outlasted two 87s, is bulletproof, but doesn't have the features,
speed, resolution, or immunity to noisy situations, like reading dc
voltages in flyback\smps circuits that the 87s have.

John

Mark Zacharias March 27th 12 01:29 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

"Phil Hobbs" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

Could it be just the function switch is flaky and needs cleaning?

Mark Z.

Phil Hobbs March 27th 12 03:44 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

Mark Zacharias wrote:

"Phil Hobbs" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

Don't think so. You can see where the missing chunk allowed the rotor
to go about 60 or 80 mils past the "off" position, and preventing this
fixed the problem.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Jeff Liebermann March 27th 12 09:20 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:08:43 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

doesn't it have a LOW-BATT indicator on the LCD screen?

Yes. The Fluke 77 has a rectangular battery symbol in the upper left
corner of the screen. When it comes on, the battery is certainly dead.

You mean useless. If it were dead...

It's a common design problem. How does one provide an active
indication that the power source is dead, when the indicator is
powered by the same power source. The usual "solution" is to have the
indicator proclaim a dead battery, long before the device ceases to
function. My HP calculators mostly do it that way. I can run them
for months with the dead battery indicator showing.

However, voltage measurements go insane somewhat before the
indicator comes on. I was checking my supply of AA alkalines in the
fridge and noticed that I was tossing far too many batteries as dead.

This is Most Amusing, because I was checking a pile of NiMH AA cells, and
most of them read a few tenths of a volt. Then, a few hours later, they were
all fine.

Ummm... I don't think that's the result of a low battery in your Fluke
78. My 77 is similar and simply produces modest errors before it
quits completely. A few tenths of a volt is a rather drastic error.
Check the probes?

In case you're wondering... Of course I use an alkaline battery. A lithium
would be an even better choice. MCM has name-brand lithium 9V batteries for
about $5 right now.

Cool. I need some other parts from MCM. Thanks.

Jeff Liebermann March 27th 12 09:23 PM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:13:29 -0700, John Robertson
wrote:

Can you calibrate the Battery Low feature? One would think so...
John :-#)#

Calibrate? Methinks not. There no adjustments.

I got lazy and tried to measure the battery voltage using the
voltmeter. I suppose I could install a switch to do that
automatically and call it a "battery test" function.

I have an analog battery tester that puts a small load on the battery
when measuring. It works much better than any open circuit
measurement. However, I can never seem to find it when I need it.

John Robertson March 28th 12 03:40 AM

Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

wrote:

Can you calibrate the Battery Low feature? One would think so...
John :-#)#

Calibrate? Methinks not. There no adjustments.

I got lazy and tried to measure the battery voltage using the
voltmeter. I suppose I could install a switch to do that
automatically and call it a "battery test" function.

I have an analog battery tester that puts a small load on the battery
when measuring. It works much better than any open circuit
measurement. However, I can never seem to find it when I need it.

What about adding a terminal or test point somewhere on the case that
connects to the positive terminal on your battery? On my cheap (but
remarkedly durable after ten years of being dropped) meter the readings
I get on the battery positive terminal are 3.06 (using the red + probe)
and -6.03 (with the black - probe) this shows a battery of 9.09VDC charge.

My meter did not like my using the negative probe on the negative
terminal of the battery - it buzzed at me!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com