DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A tv with a Windows XP question, happens all the time right ? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/337666-tv-windows-xp-question-happens-all-time-right.html)

Jeff Urban March 22nd 12 12:55 AM

A tv with a Windows XP question, happens all the time right ?

Well of course there are now internet capable TVs, but this one is a
little older. Them actually, I have two. Barco IQ Pro G 350 is the
model. It is identical to the 500 except that the 500 burns the lamps
hotter to get 5,000 lumens output rather than the 350's 3,500. The 500
also cuts the lamp life in half to do it. They actually have two lamps
each, other than buring the lamps hottet the only real diffwerence is
a possible eco mode in the menu to turn the lamps down to 200 watt
instead of 250 or somethng like that. Both models have the eco option
of only running one lamp, which I think is pretty snazzy since it is
going in the basement. I think 1,750 lumes will do at the screen size
I want.

They are not the greatest thing since the 6GH8 but they'll do. The
question is about the onboard computer. These things are over six
years old and the onboard PC is not all that hot by today's standards.
They run a 1.2 Ghz P3, 256 MB RAM and a 40 GB harddruve. They have XP
Pro installed and each has a COA on the bottom.

Now this PC, though not the greatest, is capable of running at least
1024 X 768 X 60 X 24 bit color if not tasked with a bunch of other
things. I got some RAM that'll probably help. So that is kinda the
plan, use it's audio output to feed sound and be able to watch things
off the net, or even the home server, without tying up another PC to
feed it. I might have to use the basement PC to feed it but I would
rather not, I have alot of downloaded stuff. It should connect to the
house network via a regular RJ 45, but that will be through the
basement PC. I can also send it VGA but that would require a long VGA
cable, maybe Svid would be alright for some material, but all tha ties
up the other PC. (hmm wonder if the old NIC in it has autocrossover,
if not I'm sure the basement PC does)

So here we have the options. I can break into the OS MAYBE, and set
myself up as a user/administrator and access everything that was on
it. I don't know if I can because these OSes were maybe loaded by IT
pros for a major university. They may have been preloaded at the
factory, and that's what bothers me. The manual mentions a certain
type of video interface that I've never heard of, and in fact on the
models WITHOUT the onboard PC there is another input called SDI. These
are the non-Pro units so I assume that the onboard PC uses the SDI
format for the PC video.

So, we are at this point. When I hook this up, if I can't get into the
OS I am not going to just throw them out. I do have an XP Pro disk but
it is corporate version and I don't know if the versions of the COAs
are the same. If I go to reinstall Windows, which I would like to
avoid like the plague, I might not have video drivers. I figure
getting those will be like a snowball in hell trying to sell air
conditioners. Or am I wrong ? I doubt it, the disk I have is original,
no service packs or anything which means it came out in like 2001.

Then there is something else I found on the internet. Using a Windows
2000 install disk you can use it's recovery console and break into
everything. I wouldn't mind losing their files, but if I can get the
OS to run at all, I should be able to copy all the driver files, and
with some minor registry hacks, get the thing set up with a brand new
OS.

Or no ?

And here's the fun part, I would have to use a USB CDROM or whatever
to do the install and I don't know if I cna make it boot from CD. I
can't seem to find much info about the build of this thing. I don't
know who's BIOS it uses, though I have seen the screen.

Just getting into all this would be a big pain so I am hoping that
tickling F5 will get me in and they didn't put a super admin password
on it. I traded one 500 for two lenses, the guy had them for sale on
eBay and since I'm a member I got ahold of him, seeing my good
feedback he sent me the two lenses and trusted me to send him the one
projector, which I did. But in correspondence he told me that he used
to work for Barco and recommended that I try the password "barco". We
are talking a university, the instructors use these things and maybe
they aren't always in the same room. At $13,000 apiece I doubt even
they bought one for each classroom. Therefore, is it reasonable to
assume that they might all have a default password ?

One more question about XP Pro, I assume the HDs are IDE, what would
happen if I deleted all the users in documents and settings using
another PC ? Would that take the OS back to the "Welcome, let's setup
bla bla bla.... " ?

Either something like that or picking out the video driver files would
be fine. I don't need those teachers' private emails or anything about
their affairs with the handsome young Men on campus or anything of the
sort. Just a fully functioning OS with all the software drivers would
be fine. On a regular PC I would not ask, but this just might be a bit
different scenario.

Thanks in advance.

chuck March 22nd 12 01:25 PM

A tv with a Windows XP question, happens all the time right ?

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:55:40 -0700 (PDT), Jeff Urban
wrote:

[...]

Jeff,

With ophcrack, you should be able to crack the old password in less
than 10 minutes. Chuck
http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?...urceforge.net/

John Smith[_12_] March 22nd 12 03:25 PM

"Jeff Urban" wrote in message
One more question about XP Pro, I assume the HDs are IDE, what would
happen if I deleted all the users in documents and settings using
another PC ? Would that take the OS back to the "Welcome, let's setup
bla bla bla.... " ?

Either something like that or picking out the video driver files would
be fine.

I've not tried it but you would likely just ruin the XP installation.

Backing up the drivers is a job for double driver or smart driver backup.
You might do this from a boot CD (or bootable flash drive) and clone the
hard disk while you're at it. This can be done with the drive in another PC
if necessary.
Google is your friend.

Logging in without a password is a job for a suitable boot CD (or bootable
flash drive) which will allow you to blank the existing passwords. This can
be done with the drive in another PC if necessary.
Google is your friend. Sometimes the administrator password is blank so safe
mode is all you need but not likely if an IT department set it up.

Once you've backed up the drivers and recovered any files you need (or
cloned the drive), use a key finder and Google the key to see which OEM it
is. Alternatively there are tools which will tell you which OEM string is in
the BIOS.
Google is your friend.

Once you know the OEM, make a bootable XP install CD (or bootable flah
drive) for that OEM.
Google is your friend.

If the machine refuses to boot from anything other than its own hard drive
then use that drive in another PC and set it up to start XP OEM install when
it is booted from. Put the drivers in a folder on the drive too.

Google can tell you everything you want to know.
Example search:
www.google.com/search?&q=boot+cd

Old Guy