Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default fan bearing grease?

12V, .2A, seized up due to the grease , cleaned it all out and runs fine but
what , if any, grease to replace it with?
Simple sleeve bearing .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 19, 9:52*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
12V, .2A, seized up due to the grease , cleaned it all out and runs fine but
what , if any, grease to replace it with?
Simple sleeve bearing .

I've used clean axle grease, looks like vaseline. Cut it with lighter
fluid, or was it gasoline? to use as a carrier and it migrates
EVERYWHERE. then the naptha evaporates and you're left with one thick
coating.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:52:16 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote:

12V, .2A, seized up due to the grease , cleaned it all out and runs fine but
what , if any, grease to replace it with?
Simple sleeve bearing .

It's not grease, it's oil. The reason it seems thick is that pieces
of plastic or rubber shavings have conaminated the oil.

I use whatever thin oil I happen to find on the shelf. It's not a
critical application. If you want quality, get some PTFE or silicone
lube that can handle high temperatures. Do NOT use 3-in-one oil,
which is a vegetable lube and will turn to tar if hot.

The real trick to fixing the fan is push the rotor in and out like a
piston to dislodge any accumulated crud in the bushing. However, if
the rotor seems to wobble after oiling, it's probably too far gone to
save.

Marginal, but interesting:
http://www.noisy-computer-fans.co.uk/

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/19/2012 9:52 AM, N_Cook wrote:
12V, .2A, seized up due to the grease , cleaned it all out and runs fine but
what , if any, grease to replace it with?
Simple sleeve bearing .

I use heavy gun oil.
Most of the fans I fix are not frozen, but loose and noisy.
The heavy gun oil stays in the gap better than the thin stuff.
For fans without the plastic plug, an insulin syringe filled with
oil will inject right thru the label, often without removing the
fan from the box.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I will give a dab of molybdenum grease a go, as I have a tub of it, intended
for military use. Although called grease it looks more like oil and migrates
everywhere, including uphill , and is certainly high temperature
formulation. No sign of wear or wobble

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mike wrote:
On 3/19/2012 9:52 AM, N_Cook wrote:
12V, .2A, seized up due to the grease , cleaned it all out and runs
fine but
what , if any, grease to replace it with?
Simple sleeve bearing .

I use heavy gun oil.
Most of the fans I fix are not frozen, but loose and noisy.
The heavy gun oil stays in the gap better than the thin stuff.
For fans without the plastic plug, an insulin syringe filled with
oil will inject right thru the label, often without removing the
fan from the box.

I use synthetic motor oil - this also restores CD player motors (CDM-3
as an example).

A quart will last generations in normal shop use for tiny fans and motors.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/19/2012 11:52 AM, N_Cook wrote:
12V, .2A, seized up due to the grease , cleaned it all out and runs fine but
what , if any, grease to replace it with?
Simple sleeve bearing .

Sewing machine oil.
Mikek