Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Default Camera: the mending of

On Mar 1, 4:05*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
Got an Olympus X-775 7.1mp digital camera, and it's ****ed.
Tried batteries in it last week and it was acting up (it's not been used
since last Sept) - it was as if the batteries were dead, soooo I got some
new duracell and it's the same.

When batts are installed, the lens pops out and nothing happens - all the
buttons do nothing, but the lens keeps going in and out on it's own until it
goes off after a minute.

Read online that it could have got moisture inside and that it needed to be
split to allow it to dry, so six tiny screws were removed and it was left on
the mantelpiece for a few days, put it back together and it's still the
same, any ideas anyone?, I'm loathe to buy a new on on account of being a
tight ****.

TIA

crossposted to sci.electronics.repair
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"NT" wrote in message
On Mar 1, 4:05 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
[...]

Next time you go to a poor country, take your broken camera with you. I had
my Olympus OM10 fixed in Bolivia for 8 US dollars.

Alternatively, why not use the camera, with its inny and outty lens thing,
as a novel sex toy?

Gareth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Simply opening up the camera and letting it sit is not going to dry it out.

You need to put it in a warm place, in a bag with silica gel or rice for a
few days. That might fix it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't know anything about this particular camera.. But, installing new
batteries without testing them doesn't really prove much.
Everything that's mass produced in quantities similar to those of batteries,
is going to produce a number of faulty products.

My older digital cameras don't operate well at all, with alkaline
batteries.. even fresh, new, tested ones.

The lens motor may be the largest current demand of the entire camera, and
may be pulling the voltage level of the batteries down to a point where the
remaining charge left in the batteries is too low for normal operation of
the other camera circuits.. especially if the auto-focus circuit is trying
to adjust the lens any time the camera is on.
If the camera has a view mode for reviewing stored pics, that mode may be
less demanding than turning the camera on to take pics.

Trying the batteries in a flashlight or something similar isn't a definitive
test of the batteries' condition either, unless the voltage can be measured
with a load value similar to the camera's.

Someone said it may have gotten moisture inside.. but wouldn't most camera
owners know if their gear was stored in a damp place, or had gotten wet?

A good indication of whether a fault exists or not, could be determined by
checking the camera with known good batteries.. and freshly charged, good
quality rechargeables of reasonable capacity would be the best method to
use, IMO.

--
Cheers,
WB

"NT" wrote in message
On Mar 1, 4:05 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Many digital cameras need to be "told" by the user which type of batteries
they have inside them. Either rechargeables at around 1.2v per cell or
standard batteries at 1.5, or some other high capacity thingy at whatever
voltage.

I have always thought this was just to calibrate the battery power meter
(and the flat battery warning/ cutout system), but yes, it might be worth
checking in this instance if the camera just doesn't like the type of
batteries it is actually getting.

Long shot though.

Gareth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On 3/2/2012 4:57 AM, Gareth Magennis wrote:
wrote in message
On Mar 1, 4:05 pm, "Phil wrote:
[...]

Kinda brought that on himself didn't he?
Mikek

Camera: the mending of Phil L UK diy 13 March 4th 12 05:57 PM
Mending an office chair Adrian Simpson UK diy 10 September 19th 10 07:48 PM
Mending scissors handle Murmansk69 UK diy 5 December 6th 09 06:26 PM
Mending a windsor chair Timothy Murphy[_2_] UK diy 1 December 9th 08 08:35 AM
Mending Windsor chair Timothy Murphy UK diy 6 November 4th 05 07:34 PM