Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cell phone trackers

I just met with a friend who was all freaked out about this. I guess
I've been living in a vacuum because I've never heard of this. I went
on a few sites and looked at some of this and it appears that the only
way someone can do this is if the target phone has Internet
capability. Is that correct? Also can someone tell if another person
has loaded the software necessary to do this onto their phone? Can a
phone without GPS capabilities be hacked in this fashion? This really
has me thinking now. Is there nothing sacred anymore? Thanks for any
information. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:12:08 -0800 (PST), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

I just met with a friend who was all freaked out about this. I guess
I've been living in a vacuum because I've never heard of this. I went
on a few sites and looked at some of this and it appears that the only
way someone can do this is if the target phone has Internet
capability. Is that correct?

Not necessarily. A cell phone communicates by encoding digital
information onto a RF carrier. At least in theory that communication
can include everything from the strength of the received signal, the
picture you just took of a car, or your location to within 30 feet and
direction of movement.

Also can someone tell if another person
has loaded the software necessary to do this onto their phone? Can a
phone without GPS capabilities be hacked in this fashion?

This can be done very crudely by the wireless company by determining
relative signal strenghts of the signal at the nearest towers.

This really
has me thinking now. Is there nothing sacred anymore?

Mom's Apple Pie. Who knows what is in a hot dog? Baseball is
dominated by self agrandizing show-offs.

As far as a supposed right to privacy, the Conservative members of the
SCOTUS have already decreed that does not exist.

Thanks for any
information. Lenny

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

klem kedidelhopper wrote in message
I just met with a friend who was all freaked out about this. I guess
I've been living in a vacuum because I've never heard of this. I went
on a few sites and looked at some of this and it appears that the only
way someone can do this is if the target phone has Internet
capability. Is that correct? Also can someone tell if another person
has loaded the software necessary to do this onto their phone? Can a
phone without GPS capabilities be hacked in this fashion? This really
has me thinking now. Is there nothing sacred anymore? Thanks for any
information. Lenny

You have to know the phone number of the target and about minimum 30 seconds
access to this phone, left unattended on a table or something. You
prearrange with the tracking company, then when it is available to you, you
send a validation code from the target phone and go into the menu to delete
record of this validation use.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/28/2012 5:12 PM, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
I just met with a friend who was all freaked out about this. I guess
I've been living in a vacuum because I've never heard of this. I went
on a few sites and looked at some of this and it appears that the only
way someone can do this is if the target phone has Internet
capability. Is that correct? Also can someone tell if another person
has loaded the software necessary to do this onto their phone? Can a
phone without GPS capabilities be hacked in this fashion? This really
has me thinking now. Is there nothing sacred anymore? Thanks for any
information. Lenny

Well,you always have the option of leaving the phone at home, or (at
least on many models) removing the battery. THAT will stop it from
sending data.

--Tim
Bristol Electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 29, 12:25*pm, Tim Schwartz wrote:
[...]

Is that really what it's come to? Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

++++++

Has anyone tried listening to a radio on a coach or train these days? All
those chirps at regular intervals of all these "trackers" phoning home to
tell Big Brother where they are. The chirp signature itself would give a
reasonable (walking pace as circa minute spaced chirps) close range
tracking facility without paying any third party company .