DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Do Magnatrons wear out? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/336198-do-magnatrons-wear-out.html)

amdx[_2_] February 22nd 12 03:48 AM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

I have small microwave and it seems the power is getting less and less
as time passes. Do Magnatrons wear out?
Mikek

[email protected] February 22nd 12 04:11 AM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

On Feb 21, 8:48*pm, amdx wrote:
I have small microwave and it seems the power is getting less and less
as time passes. Do Magnatrons wear out?
* * * * * * * * * * * * *Mikek

yes, the emissions from the cathode of the megnetron do decrease with
time, causing longer heat-up times.

Sjouke Burry[_5_] February 22nd 12 04:12 AM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

amdx wrote in news:44701$4f445909$18ec6dd7$9204
@KNOLOGY.NET:

I have small microwave and it seems the power is getting less and less
as time passes. Do Magnatrons wear out?
Mikek

The vacuum in the tube might slowly fail,
the cathode heater does slowly degrade,
the wavegiude might become dirty, and because of that
become less efficient
Also the magnet surrounding the tube might lose some
of its power.
And lately china import sometimes is a bit wacky...

Jeff Liebermann February 22nd 12 05:08 AM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:48:19 -0600, amdx
wrote:

I have small microwave and it seems the power is getting less and less
as time passes. Do Magnatrons wear out?
Mikek

Yep. The thorium oxide coating on the cathode slowly "evaporates"
away. Another cause is a sloppy filament winding which sometimes
produces odd oscillations.

The rated life for consumer magnetrons is about 2000 hrs. If you live
on 5 minute TV dinners, that's about 24,000 dinners.

You can check your microwave oven output with a simple calorimeter.
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/output.html
http://www.zyra.info/micropwr.htm
http://www.eletrodomesticosforum.com/es/cursos/horno_microondas/Inverter.pdf
(see Pg 16). This isn't IEC 705-88 but is good enough. The
instructions are not very clear as to how to make the measurement. You
do NOT cook the thermometer. I made this mistake once. The end blew
off, spraying the oven with broken glass.

Mumbo-jumbo on the topic:
http://www.ehow.com/info_12020972_microwave-ovens-lose-power-time.html

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

Robbie Hatley[_2_] February 22nd 12 09:49 AM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

On 2012-02-21 8:08 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

You can check your microwave oven output with a simple calorimeter.
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/output.html
http://www.zyra.info/micropwr.htm
http://www.eletrodomesticosforum.com/es/cursos/horno_microondas/Inverter.pdf

There's a simpler way. I've use the following method to test
various microwave ovens:

First clean the microwave. (Food splatters drain power horribly.)
Put a 12oz microwave-safe coffee mug, with 10oz of 72F water in it,
in the microwave. Turn it on, full power, and time how long it takes
for the water to start boiling. In my experience, for "typical"
home microwaves it's about 4min 0sec. Powerful ovens boil water
faster, cheap or damaged ones take longer. Certainly if it takes
more than about 6min, it's either damaged or just crappy quality.

--
Cheers,
Robbie Hatley

amdx[_2_] February 22nd 12 01:35 PM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

On 2/21/2012 9:12 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
wrote in news:44701$4f445909$18ec6dd7$9204
@KNOLOGY.NET:

I have small microwave and it seems the power is getting less and less
as time passes. Do Magnatrons wear out?
Mikek

The vacuum in the tube might slowly fail,
the cathode heater does slowly degrade,
the wavegiude might become dirty, and because of that
become less efficient
Also the magnet surrounding the tube might lose some
of its power.
And lately china import sometimes is a bit wacky...

This is a GE microwave manufactured 25 yrs ago.
The next one will probably be a wacky Chinese Import.
Mikek

Phil Allison[_2_] February 22nd 12 02:07 PM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

"Jeff Liebermann"

The rated life for consumer magnetrons is about 2000 hrs. If you live
on 5 minute TV dinners, that's about 24,000 dinners.

** Hmmmmm.......

24,000 microwave dinners at the rate of one per day takes nearly 66 years
to consume.

I wonder if the consumer of the microwave will die first ?

..... Phil

JW February 22nd 12 03:01 PM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:35:10 -0600 amdx wrote in
Message id: :

On 2/21/2012 9:12 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
wrote in news:44701$4f445909$18ec6dd7$9204
@KNOLOGY.NET:

I have small microwave and it seems the power is getting less and less
as time passes. Do Magnatrons wear out?
Mikek

The vacuum in the tube might slowly fail,
the cathode heater does slowly degrade,
the wavegiude might become dirty, and because of that
become less efficient
Also the magnet surrounding the tube might lose some
of its power.
And lately china import sometimes is a bit wacky...

This is a GE microwave manufactured 25 yrs ago.
The next one will probably be a wacky Chinese Import.

I just laid a Goldstar to rest that I purchased in 1987. The new one is
just about 6 months old and already it sounds like it's on it's last legs.

JW February 22nd 12 03:02 PM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:07:37 +1100 "Phil Allison"
wrote in Message id: :

"Jeff Liebermann"

The rated life for consumer magnetrons is about 2000 hrs. If you live
on 5 minute TV dinners, that's about 24,000 dinners.

** Hmmmmm.......

24,000 microwave dinners at the rate of one per day takes nearly 66 years
to consume.

I wonder if the consumer of the microwave will die first ?

Depends on how much lead is in it. :)

Jeff Liebermann February 22nd 12 06:32 PM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

wrote:

The rated life for consumer magnetrons is about 2000 hrs. If you live
on 5 minute TV dinners, that's about 24,000 dinners.

** Hmmmmm.......
24,000 microwave dinners at the rate of one per day takes nearly 66 years
to consume.
I wonder if the consumer of the microwave will die first ?

Yes. Anyone that consumes a microwave oven is likely to die.

I've sometimes speculated on what causes an oven magnetron to fail.
Internal arcing will certainly shorten the lifetime of the device.
Same with overheating from extended cooking time. However, my guess
is some glass envelopes are badly sealed and fail from burning the
cathode coating. I can't see the getter from the outside of the
magnetron (without breaking the glass), but I suspect it is past its
prime.
http://www.google.com/patents/US4132921
Another guess is that the glass is insufficiently baked to remove all
the water and gasses dissolved into the glass.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

amdx February 22nd 12 06:47 PM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

On 2/22/2012 7:07 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
"Jeff Liebermann"

The rated life for consumer magnetrons is about 2000 hrs. If you live
on 5 minute TV dinners, that's about 24,000 dinners.

** Hmmmmm.......

24,000 microwave dinners at the rate of one per day takes nearly 66 years
to consume.

I wonder if the consumer of the microwave will die first ?

.... Phil

I figured 10 minutes a day, 365 days x 25 yrs = 1500 hours.
If I'm lucky the next one might out live me.
(Or that could be unlucky?)
Mikek

bw February 22nd 12 08:17 PM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

"amdx" wrote in message
On 2/22/2012 7:07 AM, Phil Allison wrote:

.... Phil

I figured 10 minutes a day, 365 days x 25 yrs = 1500 hours.
If I'm lucky the next one might out live me.
(Or that could be unlucky?)
Mikek

That's life. Replace the old one. You can purchase new Magnetrons.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

amdx February 22nd 12 08:33 PM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

On 2/22/2012 1:17 PM, bw wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/22/2012 7:07 AM, Phil Allison wrote:

.... Phil

I figured 10 minutes a day, 365 days x 25 yrs = 1500 hours.
If I'm lucky the next one might out live me.
(Or that could be unlucky?)
Mikek

That's life. Replace the old one. You can purchase new Magnetrons.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

Naw, I can buy a new microwave to replace the old one for $40.
Mikek

Jeff Liebermann February 22nd 12 08:47 PM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:17:31 -0600, "bw" wrote:

That's life. Replace the old one. You can purchase new Magnetrons.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

Replacement magnetrons are usually priced between $60 and $120. New,
low end, commodity microwave ovens average about $160. A repair might
be worthwhile if the old oven is in good condition.

What I was doing for a while was salvaging old working microwave ovens
for the electronics and magnetron. The theory was that I might run
into the same model and could use the parts. In about 20 years, I've
replaced exactly one magnetron from my pile, and it blew up in about a
month. I recycled the pile a few years ago and currently use new
parts.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Jamie February 23rd 12 12:41 AM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

amdx wrote:

I have small microwave and it seems the power is getting less and less
as time passes. Do Magnatrons wear out?
Mikek

Of course they wear out.. THey are a tube, they suffer from all the
same problems.. On top of that, they are self oscillating and subjected
to showing effects even sooner than a conventional tube working as hard.

Jamie

Jerry G. April 3rd 12 05:51 AM

Do Magnatrons wear out?

On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:48:19 PM UTC-5, amdx wrote:
I have small microwave and it seems the power is getting less and less
as time passes. Do Magnatrons wear out?
Mikek

YES!!! Magnetrons like any type of tube will wear out with use. But, in a microwave oven there are control circuits and the power supply that must also be verified.

I suggest to not work on your own microwave oven. Give it in for a service estimate. There are high voltages and high current involved that are lethal to mess with. A professional microwave oven tech will have the proper test equipment, and service information to make a proper evaluation of the fault.

Jerry G.