Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default belt replace solutions in hi fi machines

hi,

does someone knows a firm that can propose "auto mounting belts", for
example you heat the open (cuted) belt to make it circular, when you
cannot dismount the mechanical parts that would allow you just to put a
normal belt ?

I found this :
http://www.fiamag.com/courroie/courr...2-mm-9535.html

but i'm searching more choice (ie plate belts etc)

thanks

julien / france
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If I understand you correctly... You want a drive belt made of material that
shrinks when heated. You could install the belt without dismantling the
equipment, then heat-shrink it "to size".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 27/01/2012 13:34, William Sommerwerck wrote:
If I understand you correctly... You want a drive belt made of material that
shrinks when heated. You could install the belt without dismantling the
equipment, then heat-shrink it "to size".

I read it as he wants a belt which you can join the cut ends such as you
can do with O rings.
I've superglued the cut and cleaned ends of belts together in the past,
but not without problems, and of course it would be difficult to mate
the cut ends when they are under tension.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Setup.exe wrote in message
hi,

does someone knows a firm that can propose "auto mounting belts", for
example you heat the open (cuted) belt to make it circular, when you
cannot dismount the mechanical parts that would allow you just to put a
normal belt ?

I found this :

http://www.fiamag.com/courroie/courr...ourroie-thermo
soudable-diam-2-mm-9535.html

but i'm searching more choice (ie plate belts etc)

thanks

julien / france

The anomaly at the join will cause speed blip if passing around a small
drive cog, and would the material shrink evenly.
Perhaps someone majkes a miniature size version of the old leather
segmented belt system that you adapt to length.
Then the spring system that I've only ever seen on cine-projectors where
you used a smaller spring to join the cut ends.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This is the sort of leather belts I meant
http://www.lathes.co.uk/Page4_files/image004.jpg
If the segments were of order 2mm then the roughness may be of the same
order as motor commutator segments and speed irregularity evened out by
capstan momentum

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Le 1/27/2012 2:34 PM, William Sommerwerck a écrit :
If I understand you correctly... You want a drive belt made of material that
shrinks when heated. You could install the belt without dismantling the
equipment, then heat-shrink it "to size".

exactly : just what my poor english was not able to explain correctly !
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Le 1/27/2012 3:45 PM, Ron a écrit :

I read it as he wants a belt which you can join the cut ends such as you
can do with O rings.
I've superglued the cut and cleaned ends of belts together in the past,
but not without problems, and of course it would be difficult to mate
the cut ends when they are under tension.

in most cases you can glue without having the tension, as you wait
before to put it in the right axes. You make the glue work "around" the
axes but not puting it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 27/01/2012 17:57, Setup.exe wrote:
Le 1/27/2012 3:45 PM, Ron a écrit :

I read it as he wants a belt which you can join the cut ends such as you
can do with O rings.
I've superglued the cut and cleaned ends of belts together in the past,
but not without problems, and of course it would be difficult to mate
the cut ends when they are under tension.

in most cases you can glue without having the tension, as you wait
before to put it in the right axes. You make the glue work "around" the
axes but not puting it.

If you can slice the ends of a cut oversize belt accurately (squarely)
enough, and align them with the aid of a jig similar to a tape splicing
block, you can superglue them together. I've tried this in the past but
with very limited success.

Anyone who's repaired hi fi professionally has been here, and the only
reliable way is to strip down the deck and do the job properly. IMO

Good Luck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Le 1/27/2012 3:45 PM, Ron a écrit :

[...]

Of course, but there are some parts, you can really wonder how its
humanly possible to dismantle them !!! (beeing an amateur, all the more)

like this : http://www.analogaudio.nl/trashaudio/?p=131

To change the capstan belt, it seems you have to dismantle all the
capstan axe ...

some view here : http://helvetunderground.free.fr/Scope/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Le 1/27/2012 3:45 PM, Ron a écrit :

[...]

Marking up sections / photographing prior to dismantling, leads to a lot
less swearing and cussing than trying to feed bits of rubber through and
around things you cannot even see , and belt keeps dropping off those parts
you cannot see or get to with a hook or 2.