DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fluorescent starter-switch question (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/334042-fluorescent-starter-switch-question.html)

Tegger[_3_] January 7th 12 02:39 AM

Fluorescent starter-switch question

This question also, previously, posted to alt.home.repair

I have an older 18" fluorescent lamp that takes a 15WT8 bulb. As of this
morning, it no marcha. I suspect the starter switch, which is your
glass-tube type and is pretty black inside.

The problem is that I can't find any "15w" starter switches at any
location close to me. I can, however, cheaply and easily find a white,
cylindrical starter switch that says, "13w, 30w, 40w" on it.

Can I use this "13w, 30w, 40w" switch with my 15w lamp?

--
Tegger

Phil Allison[_2_] January 7th 12 03:16 AM

Fluorescent starter-switch question

"Tegger"

I have an older 18" fluorescent lamp that takes a 15WT8 bulb. As of this
morning, it no marcha. I suspect the starter switch, which is your
glass-tube type and is pretty black inside.

The problem is that I can't find any "15w" starter switches at any
location close to me. I can, however, cheaply and easily find a white,
cylindrical starter switch that says, "13w, 30w, 40w" on it.

Can I use this "13w, 30w, 40w" switch with my 15w lamp?

** Most single tube starters are " Universal " ie 4-65W or 4-80W units.

.... Phil

Tegger[_3_] January 7th 12 03:46 AM

Fluorescent starter-switch question

"Phil Allison" wrote in news:9mprnlF391U1
@mid.individual.net:

"Tegger"

I have an older 18" fluorescent lamp that takes a 15WT8 bulb. As of this
morning, it no marcha. I suspect the starter switch, which is your
glass-tube type and is pretty black inside.

The problem is that I can't find any "15w" starter switches at any
location close to me. I can, however, cheaply and easily find a white,
cylindrical starter switch that says, "13w, 30w, 40w" on it.

Can I use this "13w, 30w, 40w" switch with my 15w lamp?

** Most single tube starters are " Universal " ie 4-65W or 4-80W units.

Thank you.

But why the listing of three discrete wattages, rather than an upper-and-
lower range of wattages?

--
Tegger

Phil Allison[_2_] January 7th 12 03:49 AM

Fluorescent starter-switch question

"Tegger"
"Phil Allison"
"Tegger"

I have an older 18" fluorescent lamp that takes a 15WT8 bulb. As of this
morning, it no marcha. I suspect the starter switch, which is your
glass-tube type and is pretty black inside.

The problem is that I can't find any "15w" starter switches at any
location close to me. I can, however, cheaply and easily find a white,
cylindrical starter switch that says, "13w, 30w, 40w" on it.

Can I use this "13w, 30w, 40w" switch with my 15w lamp?

** Most single tube starters are " Universal " ie 4-65W or 4-80W units.

Thank you.

But why the listing of three discrete wattages, rather than an upper-and-
lower range of wattages?

** Marketing reasons.

.... Phil

Tegger[_3_] January 7th 12 12:56 PM

Fluorescent starter-switch question

"Phil Allison" wrote in
:

"Tegger"

But why the listing of three discrete wattages, rather than an
upper-and- lower range of wattages?

** Marketing reasons.

So I can safely use this multi-rated starter for my 15w fixture?

--
Tegger

Phil Allison[_2_] January 7th 12 01:27 PM

Fluorescent starter-switch question

"Tegger"
"Phil Allison"
"Tegger"

But why the listing of three discrete wattages, rather than an
upper-and- lower range of wattages?

** Marketing reasons.

So I can safely use this multi-rated starter for my 15w fixture?

** Been using " 4-80 W " starters on my 15W desk lamp for decades.

.... Phil

[email protected] January 7th 12 05:13 PM

Fluorescent starter-switch question

On Jan 7, 6:56*am, Tegger wrote:
"Phil Allison" wrote :

"Tegger"

But why the listing of three discrete wattages, rather than an
upper-and- lower range of wattages?

** Marketing reasons.

So I can safely use this multi-rated starter for my 15w fixture?

--
Tegger

See - we treat you just as nice here as on alt home repair.

Tegger[_3_] January 7th 12 06:23 PM

Fluorescent starter-switch question

" wrote in
:

See - we treat you just as nice here as on alt home repair.

Appreciate that.

Last time I posted here was many years ago, in relation to a microwave
oven. I was roundly scolded by somebody named "Sam Goldwasser", evidently
because I had posted an ignorant question.

--
Tegger

Tegger[_3_] January 7th 12 11:15 PM

Fluorescent starter-switch question

"Phil Allison" wrote in news:9mqvhnFst9U1
@mid.individual.net:

"Tegger"
"Phil Allison"
"Tegger"

But why the listing of three discrete wattages, rather than an
upper-and- lower range of wattages?

** Marketing reasons.

So I can safely use this multi-rated starter for my 15w fixture?

** Been using " 4-80 W " starters on my 15W desk lamp for decades.

... Phil

An update: It turns out that the failure was almost certainly /not/ due to
the starter, so it's a good thing I didn't blow $4 on a new one. I removed
the starter from the fixture for testing purposes, leaving bare wire-ends
on the bypass circuit.

I tried three bulbs, two brand-new. Plus I tested the tubes' filaments for
continuity. All tested good, and all worked in another fixture.

I also tested for continuity within the fixture where it seemed logical to
see it. I assumed I'd find an open through the ballast, which I did find.

But I guessed that when the ballast was fed with (a measured) 123VAC, I'd
see something similar across the wires where the starter was, but all I
found was 2.5VAC. That appears to be not enough to strike a spark, and no
spark was had, no matter how slowly I brought the wires together.

My guess now is that the ballast is bad. In any case, I went to Walmart and
bought a near dead-ringer of my old GE unit for a whopping $13. So this
matter is done. Thanks, Phil.

--
Tegger

klem kedidelhopper January 11th 12 02:58 PM

On Jan 7, 6:15*pm, Tegger wrote:
[...]

Except for the fact that China got another dollar out of the deal and
Walmart got twelve. Lenny