Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Inexpensive replacement for a He/Ne 20 mW laser?

We have an old phosphorimager that contains a Uniphase 1135P laser which
is no longer operational. Near as I can tell the rest of that scanner
is working properly. The 1135P is 632.8nm laser, 20mW. They still sell
lasers like that but they are $$$, and the lab that owns the instrument
doesn't want to spend much to fix it. I think for this application the
key requirement is that the replacement laser's output be stable (5%
certainly, %1 if possible), and secondarily, that the wavelength be as
close to the original as possible.

Any suggestions for a solid state laser that would be an acceptable
replacement? My guess is that the scanner might work with even a run
of the mill red laser pointer bolted in, but that the power output
variations would result in a mottled image.

Thanks

David Mathog
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mathog writes:

We have an old phosphorimager that contains a Uniphase 1135P laser
which is no longer operational. Near as I can tell the rest of that
scanner is working properly. The 1135P is 632.8nm laser, 20mW. They
still sell lasers like that but they are $$$, and the lab that owns
the instrument doesn't want to spend much to fix it. I think for this
application the key requirement is that the replacement laser's output
be stable (5% certainly, %1 if possible), and secondarily, that the
wavelength be as close to the original as possible.

Any suggestions for a solid state laser that would be an acceptable
replacement? My guess is that the scanner might work with even a run
of the mill red laser pointer bolted in, but that the power output
variations would result in a mottled image.

How much are they willing to pay? 1135Ps are available surplus in
excellent working condition for a small fraction of the new price.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:

1135Ps are available surplus in
excellent working condition for a small fraction of the new price.

Where? The ones I have seen on ebay are pretty iffy - no estimate on
remaining life, usually they don't even say if the tube is known to
work. Plus I don't know if it is the tube or the power supply blown.

Is there a simple way to test the power supply at the leads that go into
the tube? The power supply is out of reach in a part of the instrument
case that I could not disassemble. (There is no instrument service
manual.) None of the voltmeters at my disposal can handle kV
measurements, at least not directly.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:30:39 PM UTC-8, mathog wrote:
Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:

1135Ps are available surplus in
excellent working condition for a small fraction of the new price.

Where? The ones I have seen on ebay are pretty iffy

I think you're right to be skeptical of used items, in this case.
The gas laser, a HeNe type, depends on the correct gas
mixture, and the helium will, with time, diffuse out of the envelope.

Buy a new part, if you can.

In related news, all the common CF fluorescent globe-bulb
replacements use a small bit of radioactive material to get 'em
started: don't stockpile those lamps, because the half-life of
that item is only a decade or so. For infrequently used lights
(attic, crawlspace, guestroom closets) you'll get better service
from incandescents.