DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is this UHF tuner analogue or ditital ? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/333759-uhf-tuner-analogue-ditital.html)

N_Cook January 1st 12 06:12 PM

Is this UHF tuner analogue or ditital ?

Without foreknowledge about the make and model of TV or PVR or whatever ,
and not powering up with a signal, any probalistic indicators?
Date ?
Size ? eg cigarette pack size analogue versus match box size
multiplex/digital ?
Are there dual tuners that could hande both conventional and multiplexed
signals?

spamtrap1888 January 1st 12 06:39 PM

On Jan 1, 10:12*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Without foreknowledge about the make and model of TV or PVR or whatever ,
and not powering up with a signal, any probalistic indicators?

Cost

Connectors

Date ?
Size ? eg cigarette pack size analogue versus match box size
multiplex/digital ?
Are there dual tuners that could hande both conventional and multiplexed
signals?

There is in my LCD TV, but I haven't taken it apart to look.

N_Cook January 1st 12 08:20 PM

spamtrap1888 wrote in message
On Jan 1, 10:12 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Without foreknowledge about the make and model of TV or PVR or whatever ,
and not powering up with a signal, any probalistic indicators?

Cost

Connectors

Date ?
Size ? eg cigarette pack size analogue versus match box size
multiplex/digital ?
Are there dual tuners that could hande both conventional and multiplexed
signals?

There is in my LCD TV, but I haven't taken it apart to look.

+++++

I'm thinking cas boot sale or hamfest seller/buyer situation
In the UK after this march then cost next to nothing , if an honest
seller - analogue
Much spondulics, again if honest seller - then digital.

mike January 1st 12 11:23 PM

On Jan 1, 10:12 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Without foreknowledge about the make and model of TV or PVR or whatever ,
and not powering up with a signal, any probalistic indicators?

Cost

Connectors

Date ?
Size ? eg cigarette pack size analogue versus match box size
multiplex/digital ?
Are there dual tuners that could hande both conventional and multiplexed
signals?

There is in my LCD TV, but I haven't taken it apart to look.

+++++

I'm thinking cas boot sale or hamfest seller/buyer situation
In the UK after this march then cost next to nothing , if an honest
seller - analogue
Much spondulics, again if honest seller - then digital.

Back in the days of the GRAND TV switch to ATSC, I carried a card in my
wallet
listing all the settop boxes that could do OTA ATSC. There weren't very
many.

"I'm not sure", is a pretty good indicator that it's NOT.

isw January 2nd 12 08:23 AM

Is this UHF tuner analogue or ditital ?

In article , "N_Cook"
wrote:

Without foreknowledge about the make and model of TV or PVR or whatever ,
and not powering up with a signal, any probalistic indicators?
Date ?
Size ? eg cigarette pack size analogue versus match box size
multiplex/digital ?
Are there dual tuners that could hande both conventional and multiplexed
signals?

If it's just a tuner (i.e. IF out), I'm not sure why it should matter.
ATSC was specifically designed to occupy the same bandwidth as analog,
so a decent tuner should handle either. The only possible problem might
be if the local oscillator has a lot of phase noise. That would not
bother analog, but could mess up digital.

Any demultiplexing would take place later in the signal path -- after
the signal is decoded sufficiently to allow discovery of information
relating to the multiplex.

Phil Allison[_2_] January 2nd 12 10:50 AM

Is this UHF tuner analogue or ditital ?

"isw"

If it's just a tuner (i.e. IF out), I'm not sure why it should matter.
ATSC was specifically designed to occupy the same bandwidth as analog,

** ATSC is usd in Canada and the USA.

The UK, Europe, India and Australia use DVB-T.

so a decent tuner should handle either. The only possible problem might

Any demultiplexing would take place later in the signal path -- after
the signal is decoded sufficiently to allow discovery of information

** Correct.

A modern UHF tuner for digital TV is likely to be very compact.

The term " digital tuner " is used in the trade to describe digital TVs with
antenna inputs.

.... Phil

Wond[_2_] January 2nd 12 04:47 PM

On Jan 1, 10:12 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Without foreknowledge about the make and model of TV or PVR or whatever
, and not powering up with a signal, any probalistic indicators?

Cost

Connectors

Date ?
Size ? eg cigarette pack size analogue versus match box size
multiplex/digital ?
Are there dual tuners that could hande both conventional and
multiplexed signals?

There is in my LCD TV, but I haven't taken it apart to look.

+++++

I'm thinking cas boot sale or hamfest seller/buyer situation In the UK
after this march then cost next to nothing , if an honest seller -
analogue
Much spondulics, again if honest seller - then digital.

Is this similar to, say, plenty spendolas?