Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes:

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

[Muntz TVs]
Was it purely that they were deaf? If so, would they have been one of
the few cases where an external preamp (in the room, not masthead) was
actually useful (or were the noise figures of external preamps pretty
bad then)?

If they could have afforded a decent TV amp in the '50s or '60s, they
could have bought a better tv for less than the amp & the Muntz TV.

But if they'd already got the Muntz TV?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Intelligence isn't complete without the full picture and the full picture is
all about doubt. Otherwise, you go the way of George Bush. - baroness Eliza
Manningham-Buller (former head of MI5), Radio Times 3-9 September 2011.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In message , Geoffrey S.
Mendelson writes:
[]
So while it would of been likely that the US did not enter the war in 1941
if there was no attack on Pearl Harbor, eventually Roosevelt would have found
a way, or an attack would of happened.

As for the war not happening at all, if the King of England, who was a
fascist supporter had not been forced to abdicate, when Germany invaded
the Studentenland, he would not of declared war on Germany.

I love "Studentenland" (-:! ["It's those damn students making trouble
again!"]

If Germany had kept its nonagression pact with the Soviet Union, and been
satisifed with Europe, there may not have been a "world" war.

Not likely, but a long train of "ifs" that were possible.

[]
Accompanied by several "would of"s - but, puzzlingly, not entirely:
there are at least two "would have"s as well.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Sarcasm: Barbed ire
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

But if they'd already got the Muntz TV?

Then P.T. Barnum was right.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 00:28:20 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
n Britain one may readily obtain a "site transformer" which will
give what is advertised as 110 volt balanced power. I haven't been
there in 20+ years, can any Brits tell me if that's really true or if
120, or more, or less, is actually common? They are used for electric
drills and whatnot outdoors. Vintage US gear works fine at 110, but
mostly not current stuff.

110 volt via an isolating transformer is used on building sites etc for
all power tools. Purely for safety reasons.

Just for completeness ( I know I'm very late to this party but it's an
important point), Those 110v transformers produce a bi-phase supply of
55-0-55 Vac. The two lives provide the 110v but the shock hazard wrt
grounding is reduced to a mere 55v which is merely very unpleasant in the
wet if the user happens to provide a path to earth.

--
Regards JB Good
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

"Johny B Good" writes:

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 00:28:20 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
n Britain one may readily obtain a "site transformer" which will
give what is advertised as 110 volt balanced power. I haven't been
there in 20+ years, can any Brits tell me if that's really true or if
120, or more, or less, is actually common? They are used for electric
drills and whatnot outdoors. Vintage US gear works fine at 110, but
mostly not current stuff.

110 volt via an isolating transformer is used on building sites etc for
all power tools. Purely for safety reasons.

Just for completeness ( I know I'm very late to this party but it's
an important point), Those 110v transformers produce a bi-phase supply
of 55-0-55 Vac. The two lives provide the 110v but the shock hazard
wrt grounding is reduced to a mere 55v which is merely very unpleasant
in the wet if the user happens to provide a path to earth.

Wrong. It's about current. Here's an excerpt from OSHA:

Below 1 milliampere Generally not perceptible
1 milliampere Faint tingle
5 milliamperes Slight shock felt; not painful but
disturbing. Average individual can
let go. Strong involuntary reactions
can lead to other injuries.
625 milliamperes (women) Painful shock, loss of muscular
control*
930 milliamperes (men) The freezing current or let-go
range.* Individual cannot let go,
but can be thrown away from the
circuit if extensor muscles are
stimulated.
50150 milliamperes Extreme pain, respiratory arrest,
severe muscular contractions.
Death is possible.
1,0004,300 milliamperes Rhythmic pumping action of
the heart ceases. Muscular
contraction and nerve damage
occur; death likely.
10,000 milliamperes Cardiac arrest, severe burns; death
probable
--
Randy Yates
DSP/Firmware Engineer
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

Sorry, a lot of that paste below was gibberish. Here's
the link:

osha.gov/Publications/osha3075.pdf

--Randy

Randy Yates writes:

"Johny B Good" writes:

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 00:28:20 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

The larger numbers look very wrong. You don't need anywhere nearly that much
current to kill someone.

1,0004,300 mA? Not only is it overly precise, but 1000A will cook someone,
not just kill them.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 7, 3:27*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
The larger numbers look very wrong. You don't need anywhere nearly that much
current to kill someone.

1,0004,300 mA? Not only is it overly precise, but 1000A will cook someone,
not just kill them.

good eye

that should have read 1000-4300 milliamperes
go to the URL
http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3075.pdf