Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article , Arny Krueger
writes

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._OUTLET_03.jpg

The ground wires in that picture appear to be in bare copper, borne out
by the person using a multimeter with a probe resting on the ground
wire. If so, that's pretty shoddy. What's to stop it coming into
contact with the exposed hot and neutral screws on the outlet body as
the outlet is pushed back into the box?

UK wiring regulations require earth (ground) wires to be sheathed in
green and yellow sleeving where it is exposed.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
Ron Ron is offline

On 06/02/2012 11:56, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In articleWdmdnffl5IsuA7DSnZ2dnUVZ_qmdnZ2d@giganews. com, Arny Krueger
writes

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._OUTLET_03.jpg

The ground wires in that picture appear to be in bare copper, borne out
by the person using a multimeter with a probe resting on the ground
wire. If so, that's pretty shoddy. What's to stop it coming into
contact with the exposed hot and neutral screws on the outlet body as
the outlet is pushed back into the box?

UK wiring regulations require earth (ground) wires to be sheathed in
green and yellow sleeving where it is exposed.

Also, the screws are pretty well recessed (on decent quality sockets
anyway) It's difficult to touch them with a finger accidentally.

ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"hwh" wrote in message
On 2/6/12 11:47 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
The UK 405-line system was almost certainly kept going for far longer
than it really needed to be. There was probably only a handful of people
who could not receive the 625-line service. At the time, I recall that
many of us said that it would be cheaper simply to buy that last little
old lady, living in a remote valley in the middle of nowhere, a new TV
set and aerial.

Maybe it would have been better to have one 625 line network on VHF,
like most other countries used until analog closedown.
Of course going from 405 to 625 would have meant ther was no room for
two networks there.

The original plan, drawn up in the early '60s, was to re-engineer Bands 1
and 3 for 625-line operation once the 405-line service was switched off; but
it never happened. I guess that the powers that be thought that the spectrum
could be more usefully used for other purposes.

David.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:40:34 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

How are sockets connected on a radial circuit? Separate terminals

for
in and out?

Yes, connecting screws each side of the socket.

Completely open as well not shroded at all. Don't like that, damaged
cover plate and very easy for little (or not so little) fingers to
make contact with a live screw.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Unless you have unusually long cable runs or other special factors, it's
oversized.

Better oversized than undersized, especially if the run is long.

Then why not use 2.5mm? 4mm?

Tables and guidelines are readily available to help you choose the correct
cable for your individual requirements. But in general 1mm is just fine
for a domestic lighting circuit protected by a 6 amp breaker.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Ron wrote:
Also, the screws are pretty well recessed (on decent quality sockets
anyway) It's difficult to touch them with a finger accidentally.

Yes - that was one of the things wrong with the design. The faceplate can
be removed separately - rather like grid switches in the UK. Excellent
idea for re-decorating. But having the terminals so easily touched when it
is removed just poor design.

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , Arny Krueger
writes

I'm not so sure about rings, but the doubled voltage looks good to me
given
that I would have enough appliances that ran on 240 volts to be
interesting.
I don't.

Think about it - your kettle would boil in half the time :-)

I get it. However, the 2-3 minute boil times I get with our current
technology seem to work out well enough.

I can boil 12 ounces of water in about 2 minutes in my 1200 watt microwave.

I can boil almost 2 liters of water in about 3 minutes in a 1500 watt
plastic pot with a built-in heatnig element.

In both cases the starting temperature of the water is about 45 degrees (F).

When I have people over for tea I set the pot to boiling when they arrive
and then reheat it in a few dozen seconds when needed.

A colleague went to work in the USA and complained about the weedy
kettles over there that take forever to boil. I suggested he take a UK
230V kettle over with him and run it off an extension to his stove
connection (i.e. 220V). Dunno if he ever bothered.

Seems like overkill, given the alternatives.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
Ron wrote:

Surely you remember analogue TV Arny, it's when we had five channels
of rubbish, now we have 900 channels and it's still rubbish

What's TV?

Something that can actually be enjoyable, useful and even a bit educational,
managed well.

A capacious 2 channel DVR is a big help.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:37:25 +0000, David Looser wrote:

So if you'd been glued to your TV from Sept 1939 to June 1946
you'd have seen the film twice, thus not "resumed at the exact point"

And complain that all the BBC television service does is
show repeats.

BBC's service to the US over cable seems to be pretty serviceable. They have
at least one channel on our local 999-channel digital system, and they also
have a number of offerings on OTA PBS. PBS is a nationwide consortium of TV
and radio stations, mostly initially operated by large universities.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
writes

(Nor worse, though it sometimes was.)

NTSC = Never Twice the Same Colour. NTSC TVs had (still have?) a "Hue"
control for the user to twiddle when skin tones started looking a bit
green.

Our digital TVs still have controls with the same basic concept. Something
about adapting to room lighting, preferences. On some digital sets, the
profusion of such controls can be quite bewildering. Many are tucked away in
submenus and protected service menus.

For about the last 20 years of its life, NTSC became very stable.
Adjustments to the picture controls were very infrequent - mostly done when
the TV was set up. For the first 10 years, it was a nightmare.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , Arny Krueger
writes

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._OUTLET_03.jpg

The ground wires in that picture appear to be in bare copper, borne out
by the person using a multimeter with a probe resting on the ground
wire.

True.

If so, that's pretty shoddy. What's to stop it coming into
contact with the exposed hot and neutral screws on the outlet body as
the outlet is pushed back into the box?

Care and skill.

UK wiring regulations require earth (ground) wires to be sheathed in
green and yellow sleeving where it is exposed.

Sounds good to me.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Ron wrote:
Also, the screws are pretty well recessed (on decent quality sockets
anyway) It's difficult to touch them with a finger accidentally.

Yes - that was one of the things wrong with the design. The faceplate can
be removed separately - rather like grid switches in the UK. Excellent
idea for re-decorating. But having the terminals so easily touched when it
is removed just poor design.

Touching the terminals is not so easy, in actual use. There are only narrow
gaps around the sides of the outlet and the front of the terminals is maybe
1/4" - 3/8" back and blocked by plastic.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Terry Casey wrote:

I've always wondered if somebody might have been seen furtively slipping
out of the back door of Broadcasting House that Monday afternoon before
setting off to walk down to Battersea Bridge with a box of matches in
his coat pocket ...

No, no, no it was hit by flying pig dung. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

David Looser wrote:
The original plan, drawn up in the early '60s, was to re-engineer Bands 1
and 3 for 625-line operation once the 405-line service was switched off; but
it never happened. I guess that the powers that be thought that the spectrum
could be more usefully used for other purposes.

More likely they thought that getting the free TV from France was too
much competition.

UHF only TV's could not receive it.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
Ron Ron is offline

In ,
wrote:
Also, the screws are pretty well recessed (on decent quality sockets
anyway) It's difficult to touch them with a finger accidentally.

Yes - that was one of the things wrong with the design. The faceplate can
be removed separately - rather like grid switches in the UK. Excellent
idea for re-decorating. But having the terminals so easily touched when it
is removed just poor design.

Do you mean that the US style socket has a removable faceplate? UK ones
certainly don't, unless perhaps some metalclad industrial units.
With a gridswitch unit, you'd have to be pretty determined to touch a
live terminal with the faceplate off.

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
Ron Ron is offline

On 06/02/2012 13:18, Arny Krueger wrote:
"Mike wrote in message
In articlePImdnRhFWezLuLHSnZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@giganews. com, Arny Krueger
[...]

Oh good, we're going to argue about who can boil a kettle the fastest...
you couldn`t make it up!

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
NTSC = Never Twice the Same Colour. NTSC TVs had (still have?) a "Hue"
control for the user to twiddle when skin tones started looking a bit
green.

Correct. I still have one of the first Sony sets to enter the county
which had to use a slight variant of NTSC to get past the PAL patents,
it's fitted with a hue control which in effect rotates the quadrature
subcarrier (as in NTSC) to get the correct skin tones (the wrong colours
being caused by sub-carrier side band attenuation).
--
Clive
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Mike wrote in message
[...]

No argument - the UK ring system seems to be vastly superior over our US 15
and 20 amp circuits when it comes to delivering more actual AC power to
appliances.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Ron" wrote in message
In ,
wrote:
Also, the screws are pretty well recessed (on decent quality sockets
anyway) It's difficult to touch them with a finger accidentally.

Yes - that was one of the things wrong with the design. The faceplate can
be removed separately - rather like grid switches in the UK. Excellent
idea for re-decorating. But having the terminals so easily touched when
it
is removed just poor design.

Do you mean that the US style socket has a removable faceplate?

Yes. unscrew a screw or two...

Handy when you repaint the walls.

And if you want different style wall plate front piece, they have zillions
of them.

UK ones certainly don't, unless perhaps some metalclad industrial
units.
With a gridswitch unit, you'd have to be pretty determined to touch a live
terminal with the faceplate off.

Agrees with my experiences in Germany.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
David Looser wrote:
The original plan, drawn up in the early '60s, was to re-engineer Bands 1
and 3 for 625-line operation once the 405-line service was switched off;
but
it never happened. I guess that the powers that be thought that the
spectrum
could be more usefully used for other purposes.

More likely they thought that getting the free TV from France was too
much competition.

You forgot to add the smiley!

Just on the offchance that you meant this seriously I'd ask just how many
people in the UK would actually want to watch French TV?

UHF only TV's could not receive it.

Many TVs sold in the UK had multiband tuners, and frequency converters were
easily obtainable. So of all the many factors that stopped the British
watching French TV that one was by far and away the easiest and cheapest to
solve.

David.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:37:25 +0000, David Looser wrote:

So if you'd been glued to your TV from Sept 1939 to June 1946
you'd have seen the film twice, thus not "resumed at the exact point"

And complain that all the BBC television service does is
show repeats.

BBC's service to the US over cable seems to be pretty serviceable. They
have at least one channel on our local 999-channel digital system, and
they also have a number of offerings on OTA PBS. PBS is a nationwide
consortium of TV and radio stations, mostly initially operated by large
universities.

The last time I was in the States I complained to someone about just how
utterly dire all the radio stations were that I had tried to listen to on
the radio in my rental car. The response was "try PBS" which I did, and
found that about 50% of the output was simply a relay of the BBC world
service.

David.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On 2/6/12 1:16 PM, David Looser wrote:
"hwh" wrote in message
[...]

Of course it could, but harmonizing spectrum with the continent might
have been beneficial as well. Have these plans been published?

gr, hwh

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Monday, February 6th, 2012, at 13:47:19h +0000, Ron exclaimed:

Oh good, we're going to argue about who can boil a kettle the fastest...
you couldn`t make it up!

It is now time to call in the experts to discuss whether or not
quickly boiled water tastes better than slowly boiled water,
depending of course on how it is going to be used, probably
for making tea.

This should keep the thread going for at least another 50 posts.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
Ron Ron is offline

On 06/02/2012 15:43, J G Miller wrote:
On Monday, February 6th, 2012, at 13:47:19h +0000, Ron exclaimed:

Oh good, we're going to argue about who can boil a kettle the fastest...
you couldn`t make it up!

It is now time to call in the experts to discuss whether or not
quickly boiled water tastes better than slowly boiled water,
depending of course on how it is going to be used, probably
for making tea.

This should keep the thread going for at least another 50 posts.

Obviously water boiled with AC is far superior to water boiled with DC.
Alternating current jiggles the molecules up more.

Tea should always be made with boiling water.

Ron

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Monday, February 6th, 2012, at 08:22:55h -0500, Arny Krueger wrote:

BBC's service to the US over cable seems to be pretty serviceable.

You do need to realize that many of the programs on BBC America
are not BBC programs or programs made for shewing on BBC, but
are in fact programs made by or produced for the commercial
tv network ITV, and possibly one or two for the state owned
commercial tv network Channel 4.

PBS is a nationwide consortium of TV and radio stations

Actually PBS is a separate organization from the local
tv stations, it is not a consortium, so local stations
affiliate with and pay PBS to carry the network programming
to fill their schedules.

And PBS is TV only. Public radio stations affiliate primarily to
NPR (some to American Public Media, and even fewer to Pacifica)
not PBS.

Except in a very few cases where they pay PBS to broadcast
the audio from PBS's Newshour.

In the case of the Detroit public TV station, WTVS, is a little
unusual at it has always been non-university owned (the Detroit Educational
Television Foundation) unlike neighboring WUOM Ann Arbor
(University of Michigan) and WKAR East Lansing (Michigan State University).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Monday, February 6th, 2012, at 14:49:39h +0000, David Looser wrote:

The response was "try PBS" which I did,

Rather difficult since there are no PBS *radio* stations.
PBS is a *television* network.

and found that about 50% of the output was simply a relay of the BBC
world service.

A typical sign of an Public Radio International affiliate station
(previously known as American Public Radio, the smaller rival
to NPR).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Radio_International

Carrying a PRI relay of BBC World Service is far cheaper than
paying for NPR programming, so many smaller public radio
stations prefer this option for obvious reasons.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Monday, February 6th, 2012, at 12:35:44j +0100, hwh wrote:

Maybe it would have been better to have one 625 line network on VHF

Of course it would have been better for the public, but it was better
for the Thatcher administration and business friends and supporters
to sell off the spectrum for commercial use since higher profits
could be made that way instead of tv broadcasts.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"hwh" wrote in message
On 2/6/12 1:16 PM, David Looser wrote:

The original plan, drawn up in the early '60s, was to re-engineer Bands 1
and 3 for 625-line operation once the 405-line service was switched off;
but
it never happened. I guess that the powers that be thought that the
spectrum
could be more usefully used for other purposes.

Of course it could, but harmonizing spectrum with the continent might
have been beneficial as well.

Well it might, but in practice there don't seem to have been many problems
caused by not harmonising spectrum use with the the continent. To be honest
I think the government made the right decision, the limited VHF spectrum
available in Bands 1 & 3 would only just have been enough for one extra
625-line TV channel.

Have these plans been published?

I read them in a copy of the Journal of the Royal Television Society
published some time around 1961. Can't be more specific than that I'm
afarid.

David.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In message , Ron
writes
"Mike wrote in message
[...]

OK then.

Assuming it survives long enough, a 120V kettle run on 240V will boil in
less than a quarter of the time. [Note 'quarter', not 'half', as twice
the voltage will provide four times the power.]

Conversely, a 240V kettle run on 120V will take more than four times the
normal time to boil. In fact, it literally could take forever to boil. I
know this to be true as I once took a single-voltage UK travel kettle on
a holiday in the USA!

These apparent anomalies are because, unless it's perfectly insulated,
as a kettle heats up it will radiate more and more heat.

Consider the case of the 240V kettle on a 120V supply. The rate of heat
radiation eventually may balance the rate of electrical input, so a
state of equilibrium is reached before the kettle boils. No matter how
long you leave it (or even watch it), it will never boil. It's therefore
a pretty good guess that, on a 240V supply, a 120V kettle will boil in
less than half the time.

BTW, for my next trip to the USA, I made sure that I took a dual voltage
kettle. I can confidently report that, when on the correct voltage
setting, it seemed to boil just as quickly as it had done in the UK.
--
Ian

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Ron wrote:

Obviously water boiled with AC is far superior to water boiled with DC.
Alternating current jiggles the molecules up more.

Nothing beats the taste of tea made from water boiled over an old fashioned
wood fire.

:-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

J G Miller wrote:

Carrying a PRI relay of BBC World Service is far cheaper than
paying for NPR programming, so many smaller public radio
stations prefer this option for obvious reasons.

Didn't the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation help pay for it?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
Ron Ron is offline

On 06/02/2012 16:14, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Ron wrote:

Obviously water boiled with AC is far superior to water boiled with DC.
Alternating current jiggles the molecules up more.

Nothing beats the taste of tea made from water boiled over an old fashioned
wood fire.

:-)

Geoff.

Maybe inferior American water takes long to boil anyway compared with
'proper' Bwitish water

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Feb 6, 3:25*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Arny Krueger
writes

I'm not so sure about rings, but the doubled voltage looks good to me given
that I would have enough appliances that ran on 240 volts to be interesting.
I don't.

Think about it - your kettle would boil in half the time :-)

A colleague went to work in the USA and complained about the weedy
kettles over there that take forever to boil. *I suggested he take a UK
230V kettle over with him and run it off an extension to his stove
connection (i.e. 220V). *Dunno if he ever bothered.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Back arounf 1968, my sister sent me a "hot water jug" from Australia
which is a ceramic jug with a plastic lid and a bare ceramic plate
wound with coiled resistance wire immersed in the water at the bottom
of the jug. Since our kitchen was equipped with 'split' appliance
recepticals, I was able to install a standard 15A 230V outlet and
happened to have an ancient [1930s ??] adaptor that converted the
Australian 'Y' plug to NEMA 220V. It was indeed impressive how quickly
it would boil water compared to the then common GE chrome kettles.
I had to replace the element once [she had sent spares], but the jug
was eventually dropped and broken :-(

Neil S
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Monday, February 6th, 2012, at 12:35:44j +0100, hwh wrote:

Maybe it would have been better to have one 625 line network on VHF

Of course it would have been better for the public, but it was better
for the Thatcher administration and business friends and supporters
to sell off the spectrum for commercial use since higher profits
could be made that way instead of tv broadcasts.

I disagree. Many of the new uses weren't about high profits but were
low-power devices used by the public such as wireless baby alarms, wireless
microphones, wireless doorbells etc. All of far more use to the public than
one more TV network IMO.

David.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Ron wrote:
Maybe inferior American water takes long to boil anyway compared with
'proper' Bwitish water

That's because evironmental activists have found large quantities of
DiHydrogen Mononxide (DMO) in what comes out of taps and wells and are
trying to get it banned.

(look it up on YouTube).

Geoff.

Ok, I'll put a smiley in here. :-)
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In article , Arny Krueger
writes

Seems like overkill, given the alternatives.

I think you forget that the UK population is fuelled by gallons of tea.
The quicker this can be achieved, the better :-)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Monday, February 6th, 2012, at 08:22:55h -0500, Arny Krueger wrote:

BBC's service to the US over cable seems to be pretty serviceable.

You do need to realize that many of the programs on BBC America
are not BBC programs or programs made for shewing on BBC, but
are in fact programs made by or produced for the commercial
tv network ITV, and possibly one or two for the state owned
commercial tv network Channel 4.

PBS is a nationwide consortium of TV and radio stations

Actually PBS is a separate organization from the local
tv stations, it is not a consortium, so local stations
affiliate with and pay PBS to carry the network programming
to fill their schedules.

Maybe you might want check out the meaning of the word consortium. We can
both be right... ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In article , Geoffrey S.
Mendelson writes

Nothing beats the taste of tea made from water boiled over an old fashioned
wood fire.

Like the way food always seem to taste better if it's cooked outside :-)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Monday, February 6th, 2012, at 16:24:52h +0000, Ron wrote:

Maybe inferior American water takes long to boil anyway compared with
'proper' Bwitish water

Depending on the municipality, the water in the US could have an awful
lot less chlorine (possibly none) than that supplied by one of the big
English water companies.