Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A little fun to lighten these dark times ...

It never ceases to amaze me what comes through the workshop door. This
week's bizarre item - taken in for me to look at by a music shop !! - was a
strange sort of 'Dalek' thingy on four castors. About three and a half feet
tall, with a large control panel on top, and lots of intimidating
attachments sprouting from a bunch of connectors at the back. Turned out to
be a home 'Ultrasonic Liposuction Machine' ...

It's unbelievable what people will shell out their hard-earned on. Anyways,
this thing comes from China, and it had lasted for all of 5 minutes before a
burning smell, and cessation of all functionality. The proud owners had got
back onto the company who made it, who helpfully suggested that they return
it for repair / replacement. Shipping ? 160 quid ! So they decided to ignore
the warranty and let me have a look. In the meantime, the manufacturers sent
the guy a replacement main board. Anyways, long story short, there was a
bloody great transistor in the middle of the board that was short. I'm not
sure if it is for the 500kHz RF output, or the 40kHz Ultrasonic output, but
whichever, the fact of it being short, had ****ted the primary of the mains
transformer, before the now shorted turns, had blown the mains fuse. The
three secondary windings had no fusing of their own. The final decision was
to replace the three winding tranny, with three individual trannies sourced
in the UK, and to fit secondary fuses. This all done, with the replacement
board in, it worked again.

So what about the "fun" bit ? Well, I'm sure that we've all seen the
'translated direct from the Japanese' user manuals of thirty years ago, and
had a good laugh. Seems now that the art of producing funny manuals, has
passed to the Chinese. I've seen some pretty good ones over the last few
years, but I reckon that the one for this piece of equipment, has to be the
best yet.

Here's a couple of examples

* Ultrasonic Liposuction Equipment, through high energy deep-level
transport, takes 1100nm-1500nm high ultrasonic head to shoot out violent
energy, produces itch cavitation in cellulite cells, forms
* countless tiny vacuum oxygen bubbles, by means of the pressure to make FAT
cells membrane, act on the cellulite, breaks them, then exhaust out of the
body by lymphatic system.

and

* It takes the most advanced RF technique and energy, directly penetrate
into deep-seated cellulite. With targeted oriented RF output, it makes the
fatty cells in quick active state, produces heat friction,
* higher the partial temperature. Through the sweat gland, liver sausage
circulation and lymph, exhaust the redundant fatness and toxins out of the
body, so get the effect of cellulite dissolving.

The whole thing can be seen at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-40KHZ-...item19ca636e3c

After it was repaired, I gave it a try, but I'm not sure if I exhausted any
fat via my liver sausage ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

BT Barnum had something to say about people that buy this sort of thing...

I wouldn't even turn it onto test it, sounds dangerous at best!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Liver sausage? You 'Brits' will eat anything! ;-)

A guy on the Antique radio group collects quack medical devices, so
I'll send him the link. This would fit right in with his collection of
100 year old quackery.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 01:07:58 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Turned out to
be a home 'Ultrasonic Liposuction Machine' ...

You get to have all the fun.

* Ultrasonic Liposuction Equipment, through high energy deep-level
transport, takes 1100nm-1500nm high ultrasonic head to shoot out violent
energy, produces itch cavitation in cellulite cells, forms
* countless tiny vacuum oxygen bubbles, by means of the pressure to make FAT
cells membrane, act on the cellulite, breaks them, then exhaust out of the
body by lymphatic system.

and

* It takes the most advanced RF technique and energy, directly penetrate
into deep-seated cellulite. With targeted oriented RF output, it makes the
fatty cells in quick active state, produces heat friction,
* higher the partial temperature. Through the sweat gland, liver sausage
circulation and lymph, exhaust the redundant fatness and toxins out of the
body, so get the effect of cellulite dissolving.

How crude. The high fashion technique is to do the same thing with a
laser.
http://www.myzerona.com
I know people that have had this treatment and there is a visible loss
of fat from the process. The problem with "breaking down fat" or
dieting is that they just empty the fat cells from their contents. The
cells still remain, and tend to rapidly fill with fat again. What's
needed is a way to destroy the fat cells and their contents. The
problem is that its a rather bloody procedure. The ultrasonic method
make a big mess, bursting both fat cells and capillaries. The laser
is somewhat more precise. The mess is washed away by the blood
stream, not the lymphatic system, which is really slow. It only works
on fat that's near the skin (subcutaneous) and doesn't do anything for
fat buried under the muscles (visceral). It's also sufficiently messy
that the involvement of a doctor is usually a good idea. Anyway, it's
not total quackery, but it's close.

Also, a friends son recently returned from Hong Kong, where he worked
at translating technical documents and manuals from Chinese into
English. The big surprise was that many companies didn't care if
their manuals made any sense in English. They've found that the
products sell on the basis of price, and such luxuries as quality,
spare parts, documentation, and service have little effect on sales.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It never ceases to amaze me what comes through the workshop
door. This week's bizarre item -- taken in for me to look at by a
music shop !! -- was a strange sort of 'Dalek' thingy on four castors.

Did you report the use of beavers as motive devices to the Humane Society?

Hope they didn't gnaw on your furniture. (The beavers, not the Humane
Society.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/22/2011 8:07 PM, Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Wasn't there a Dr. Who episode a couple of years ago where an alien
race was selling a diet plan which was actually using the fat in the
human host to create their young? As I recall they got fond out by the
young leaving in the middle of the night, triggering home security
systems. All of which sounds more effective and plausible than this
machine.

Crappy Hissmass, I mean Happy Christmas to all. (Or Chanukah if that's
your gig.)

Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Also, a friends son recently returned from Hong Kong, where he worked
at translating technical documents and manuals from Chinese into
English. The big surprise was that many companies didn't care if
their manuals made any sense in English. They've found that the
products sell on the basis of price, and such luxuries as quality,
spare parts, documentation, and service have little effect on sales.

Yeah, in the case of this machine, especially, details of how it "works"
might be a BIG turn-off to potential consumers, as well as causing
medical regulatory agencies to want to confiscate the horror right at
the port of entry.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily Inscribed thus:

[...]

I think I would be concerned about what it might do to other cells in
the body !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily Inscribed thus:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-40KHZ-...ION-CAVITATION...

After it was repaired, I gave it a try, but I'm not sure if I
exhausted any
fat via my liver sausage ... * * *:-)

Arfa

I think I would be concerned about what it might do to other cells in
the body !

--
Best Regards:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * Baron.

A "home" liposuction machine????Are they serious? How about a DIY
brain surgery kit? It could come with an electric drill and a mirror.
You can save some beer money and use your own drill. This must be
another way the Chinese are identifying and weeding out the morons in
our society stupid enough to buy one of these things. I can do the
same thing, (melt some fat) with a waveguide at 23GHZ. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message ...

Arfa Daily Inscribed thus:

[...]

Collateral damage. Ugly results can occur.

Dieting (with total avoidance of alcohol) and limited carbs will almost
always work. No kidding ... just try it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 22, 5:07*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
[...]

I wonder if that machine is what this guy used:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...at-down-toilet

"A San Francisco man who allegedly posed as a doctor and performed
liposuction on an unsuspecting woman then flushed the fat down her
toilet was arrested Thursday and is facing several felony charges,
prosecutors said."

But seriously, I'd be worried that repairing medical equipment would
expose you to some sort of liability, especially if a patient were to
be electrocuted.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"spamtrap1888" wrote in message
[...]

I think that the term "Liposuction" is being used very loosely here. It is
actually nothing of the sort. A 'proper' liposuction machine is a tool for
invasive fat removal, and should only be operated by a qualified medical
person. This thing just looks the ********, and works using some low power
ultrasonics and RF. Certainly nothing to worry about. It's just quackery
really. The theory - and I understand that it is based in a degree of fact -
is that it ruptures the walls of the fat cells, allowing their contents to
then be washed out into the bloodstream, and then removed naturally by the
action s of the liver and so on. As to electrocuting anyone, that is highly
unlikely. It all operates from transformer isolated low voltage supplies.
There are actually ****loads of these machines on FleaBay, from desktops to
Daleks like this one, which actually carries a CE mark, although whether
that is real or just for show, I've no idea.

Anyway. take it light, everyone. I posted for the amusement of the user
guide really. I just threw in the repair angle for all of the trade bods on
here, as I knew they would feel my pain .... :-)

Have a good 'un everyone, and I'll catch up over the break or in the new
year

Happy Christmas all - or Happy Holidays for the PC brigade ! ( That's
political correctness of course ...)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/23/2011 3:37 PM, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
On Dec 23, 4:22 pm, wrote:
Arfa Daily Inscribed thus:

[...]

You left out the home colonoscopy machine from Harbor Freight. :-)
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...era-67979.html
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
A guy on the Antique radio group collects quack medical devices, so
I'll send him the link. This would fit right in with his collection
of 100 year old quackery.

It wasn't all quackery. Medical vibrators probably did a lot of good for
the mental health of Victorian ladies.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
Certainly nothing to
worry about. It's just quackery really. The theory - and I understand
that it is based in a degree of fact - is that it ruptures the walls
of the fat cells, allowing their contents to then be washed out into
the bloodstream

It's a good thing it doesn't work or multiple blood clots would kill.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
A guy on the Antique radio group collects quack medical devices, so
I'll send him the link. This would fit right in with his collection
of 100 year old quackery.

It wasn't all quackery. Medical vibrators probably did a lot of good for
the mental health of Victorian ladies.

The raw UV emitted by crude lamps didn't cure cancer, migraines or
anything else. If anything, they likely caused skin cancer. There are
people who collect quack equipment for a hobby. One is on the antique
radio newsgroup.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 30, 6:39*pm, "Tom Del Rosso" wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
Certainly nothing to
worry about. It's just quackery really. The theory - and I understand
that it is based in a degree of fact - is that it ruptures the walls
of the fat cells, allowing their contents to then be washed out into
the bloodstream

It's a good thing it doesn't work or multiple blood clots would kill.

zero, and remove the last word.

Users might qualify for the Darwin award!
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Dec 24 2011, 2:08*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

Anyway. take it light, everyone. I posted for the amusement of the user
guide really. I just threw in the repair angle for all of the trade bods on
here, as I knew they would feel my pain .... * *:-)

Sounds like you had to get quite a lot done including sourcing the
transformers and adding fuses.. Was this an expensive repair? Though I
suppose, provided the cost was under the 160 notes charged by the
manufacturers for shipping, then its owners would have been happy.
Plus your mod would ensure future reliability - making the thing even
more so than when it left the factory!

Happy Christmas all - or Happy Holidays for the PC brigade ! ( That's
political correctness of course ...)

Oh God, please tell me you're not a Daily mail reader. In my
experience, people who go on about the supposed 'PC brigade' (whoever
they are) usually belong to the lunatic right, frothing at the mouth
about their own myths like 'winterval' or whatever. But I
digress...Happy new year!
-B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"b" wrote in message
[...]

Weeeellll ... I do read the MoS, but not the Daily one. It did used to have
some fairly good political comment from the likes of William Rees-Mogg, but
for some unknown reason, they have recently dropped his column, which I
think is a sad loss to the overall content balance of the paper. It seems to
be dumbing down now almost by the week, and I think that is in no small part
due to them wishing to accommodate all of the News of the World readers that
they've picked up from that paper's demise. The letters page is now a
travesty compared to what it was, and I can't understand why they even keep
taking copy from some of the contributors. There's a couple of them that
write such drivel every week, it's hard to make sense of the content in its
own right sometimes, and even more so when it doesn't even make grammatical
sense. I think that soon, I will probably cease wasting my money to buy it,
but the thing is, I do enjoy a relaxing read of a Sunday paper, and it's
getting hard to find one that has a good balance of reliable reporting,
whilst remaining entertaining to read. Not everyone who reads the Mail is a
member of 'The Lunatic Right'. Yes, I will admit to having a right-wise
leaning, but I wouldn't count myself as a mouth-frother, any more than
left-leaners in this country, who actually have just as many mouth-frothers
among their numbers ... :-)

Arfa