Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Saeco (and other) coffee machine thermostats

Hi, all,
I keep one of our three espresso coffee machines up and running
(available that is, not actually brewing!) by cannibalizing the others
and buying a few spares parts now and again. These machines are the
semi-vintage, three button (or switch), high-pressure water-pump type,
Saeco brand and similar. They are not the new, expensive
microprocessor-controlled things you can't fix!
I want to stock up on thermostats... there are two in the machine on
the boiler. One is for the sub-boiling point water (to pump through
the coffee) and the other for the subsequent steam generation (over
100 deg C.) They look like standard small industrial types worth a
buck or two at most... so I don't want to buy them at the not-so-local
Saeco service centre for an "elevated resale price".
Questions:
What are the two temperatures settings for these? (I'd guess at about
90 deg C and 105 deg C, respectively, based on the physics - but I'm
really not sure.)
Where might I get them in the Greater Toronto Area (Canada)? Or by
mail order?
Thanks for all replies.
Merry Christmas!
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 15, 1:21*pm, Engineer wrote:
[...]

I would start by taking a photo or two of the present thermostats and
posting them here so folks who are in the know could see them. At the
very least, post some id's that you find on the thermostats. Or, go
to the Saeco/mfgr and get parts info from them without actually buying
them. The parts info would be a reasonable starting point for most
folks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 15, 4:40*pm, " wrote:
[...]

I've mislaid the one I took out and I don't really want to open up one
of the other machines... so no photo for now!
However, these are very common things, round, a bit like a thick
nickel with two spade connectors across a diameter.
I may call Saeco service but I'm not sure they would want to
cannibalize sales!
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article 3fc31092-e2a3-4fde-b2a2-709232dc0756
@da3g2000vbb.googlegroups.com, says...

On Dec 15, 4:40*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Some Engineer !! At least that is my opinion. Have you done ANY effort
with Google? Or searched at an on-line parts distributor??

In five seconds I captured this link with a whole page full of these
devices.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....rmostat+switch

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 15, 4:40*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Yes, this is what they look like. Ignoring your curmudgeonly
comments, would you or anyone else happen to know the two temperature
values for the coffee machine? My guess is 90 deg C and 105 deg C.
Cheers.
Roger

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 15, 4:40*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Apparently Roger's computer did not come equipped with Google. Using
search terms such as "Saeco" and "thermostats" I was able to find web
pages like http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/category-s/720.htm which
indicate that FOR AT LEAST ONE MODEL SAECO

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 15, 4:40*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Hmm... google decided to post when I hit Enter. Anyways:

.... the thermostats are 95C and 127C.

Here's where knowing one's espresso maker's model number would come in
really really handy. Some appliance manufacturers even have a feature
known as "customer service" which supplies information about their
products to people who own them.

But why not just post all one's questions to s.e.r.?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 15, 4:40*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Ah, ha...95 deg C and 127 deg C. Many thanks. I am a bit surprised
at the 127, much higher than my guess... figure out the pressure.
Hint: steam tables
Cheers,
Roger