Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default QAM tuner?

Well this is not about repair, but I don't know where else to ask
it, and someone here will know.

I still have an old CRT TV, which works fine, and I subscribe to
Cox cable. Recently Cox has converted some of the analog channels
to unscrambled digital, so they are available on anything that has
a QAM tuner without having to rent a cable box. And there are a
few other channels like that - National Geographic, for instance.

So I need to find an inexpensive stand-alone QAM tuner, or some
inexpensive device that includes a QAM tuner, so I can get these
channels without paying for another tier or service. Of course
eventually I'll upgrade to an LCD TV with a built-in QAM tuner, but
I'm just not ready to do that yet.

I have a converter box from when the analog to digital switch
happened for over-the-air broadcast TV, but it only has an ATSC
tuner, not QAM.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 29, 3:42*pm, Peabody wrote:
[...]

Buy a used standalone tuner from the days when HDTVs lacked a tuner,
before analog disappeared and we got our free converter cards.. Some
of those folks should have upgraded by now. The last of the breed was
the Samsung DTBH260F
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:34:34 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
wrote:

[...]

I found thouse used for 187, so if you're going to spend that much,
maybe better to spend 200 new or 150 refurbished, for a Magnavox DVDR
with hard drive. It has a QAM tuner, and lots of other stuff.
Stuff that works iwth cable, and you can also put in an over the air
input. I forget the model number but the numierc part may have started
with 5.

If I understood how to unmung your email address, I'd send you an
email.

Decoding Ford car CD/Tuner 6000 CD Tuner [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 August 29th 06 12:26 AM
Bad Tuner? Chris F. Electronics Repair 7 November 15th 05 06:36 PM
TV tuner for the car ken Electronics 3 August 10th 05 01:07 PM
Tuner ? Rambling Man Electronics Repair 19 November 28th 04 06:27 AM
rca tuner 458 Electronics Repair 1 October 28th 04 02:54 PM