DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ASUS eeePC 701 problem and solution (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/332200-asus-eeepc-701-problem-solution.html)

Winston November 24th 11 06:43 AM

ASUS eeePC 701 problem and solution

My eeePC was very sick.

On boot, it would spray the screen with random
characters. If I did get a desktop, I found
that I couldn't type several characters, like
v and t.

A USB keyboard worked perfectly with it, though.

I Googled 'eeepc 701 teardown' and discovered
how to remove the keyboard.

I carefully released the ZIF connector for
the keyboard and cleaned the black contacts
on the flat cable with a pencil eraser.
After wiping off the resulting grunge with
a cloth towel, I installed the keyboard and
now my eeePC works once again.

--Winston

N_Cook November 24th 11 09:14 AM

Winston wrote in message
My eeePC was very sick.

On boot, it would spray the screen with random
characters. If I did get a desktop, I found
that I couldn't type several characters, like
v and t.

A USB keyboard worked perfectly with it, though.

I Googled 'eeepc 701 teardown' and discovered
how to remove the keyboard.

I carefully released the ZIF connector for
the keyboard and cleaned the black contacts
on the flat cable with a pencil eraser.
After wiping off the resulting grunge with
a cloth towel, I installed the keyboard and
now my eeePC works once again.

--Winston

For us old-worlders , teardown = dismantle ?

Winston November 24th 11 07:17 PM

N_Cook wrote:
wrote in message
My eeePC was very sick.

On boot, it would spray the screen with random
characters. If I did get a desktop, I found
that I couldn't type several characters, like
v and t.

A USB keyboard worked perfectly with it, though.

I Googled 'eeepc 701 teardown' and discovered
how to remove the keyboard.

I carefully released the ZIF connector for
the keyboard and cleaned the black contacts
on the flat cable with a pencil eraser.
After wiping off the resulting grunge with
a cloth towel, I installed the keyboard and
now my eeePC works once again.

--Winston

For us old-worlders , teardown = dismantle ?

Correcto. With lots of good quality, annotated
photos to make reassembly easy.

http://tinyurl.com/72b6ueq or...
http://www.r3uk.com/index.php/tech-tips/34-disassembly-guides/78-asus-eeepc-model-4g-disassembly

--Winston