Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic NV-J22 video output to Archos 5

I am hoping this question isnt too non-specific or the answer too
obvious but I just shlepped this Panasonic multi-system TV which I
originally brought from the US to UK back again to record lots of PAL
videos to the Archos. Now however there doesnt seem to be any video
output at all.

I can see the sound on the bar graphic input on the Archos but the
Archos doesnt report any input signal. All I am doing is to out put
the signal from the video out of the Panasonic to the video in on the
Archos DVR station. It seems obvious but where am I going wrong? Even
worse, I can see the Panasonic adjusting the tracking on the front so
I suspect it is properly reading and outputting the video. Can anyone
see what I am doing wrong please? I spent a half an hour with Archos
tech support to see if there was any reason the Archos couldnt see a
PAL video signal but they agreed that the Archos should just see it. I
did try to switch between PAL and MESECAM/NTSC to see if the Archos
could detect ANYTHING but it cant. (I also tried putting an NTSC VHS
into the Panasonic and switching to NTSC on the Panasonic and it does
the same: The tracking adjusts again, quickly, - so that the heads
read the tape properly, the audio is detected but no video output from
the Video out RCA jack)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Nov 23, 11:04*pm, myfathersson wrote:
I am hoping this question isnt too non-specific or the answer too
obvious but I just shlepped this Panasonic multi-system TV which I
originally brought from the US to UK back again to record lots of PAL
videos to the Archos. *Now however there doesnt seem to be any video
output at all.

I can see the sound on the bar graphic input on the Archos but the
Archos doesnt report any input signal. All I am doing is to out put
the signal from the video out of the Panasonic to the video in on the
Archos DVR station.

I'm confused by your post. Are you talking about a Panasonic multi
standard tv, or a Panasonic vhs video recorder?
-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 23, 6:04*pm, b wrote:
On Nov 23, 11:04*pm, myfathersson wrote:

I am hoping this question isnt too non-specific or the answer too
obvious but I just shlepped this Panasonic multi-system TV which I
originally brought from the US to UK back again to record lots of PAL
videos to the Archos. *Now however there doesnt seem to be any video
output at all.

I can see the sound on the bar graphic input on the Archos but the
Archos doesnt report any input signal. All I am doing is to out put
the signal from the video out of the Panasonic to the video in on the
Archos DVR station.

I'm confused by your post. Are you talking about a Panasonic multi
standard tv, or a Panasonic vhs video recorder?
-B

Sorry about the confusion

Not sure how it got caused

The Panasonic NV-J22 is a VHS video cassette recorder. I am trying to
transfer the contents of VHS cassettes onto the Archos 5
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Nov 24, 12:43*am, myfathersson wrote:
On Nov 23, 6:04*pm, b wrote:

[...]

we need to narrow this down. First ascertain that the vhs is
outputting video. For all we know, the heads might be dirty. Try
connecting it to a normal tv set. It should sync down to 50hz pal
frame rate, and I imagine you'd get a black and white picture....
-b
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 23, 6:04*pm, b wrote:

[...]

OK I think you are right: I will have to find some sort of converter
for the European output cable to a coax connector and try that output
into a TV. The Archos may well not report ANY input unless the pic is
perfect.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Nov 26, 3:44*am, myfathersson wrote:

OK I think you are right: I will have to find some sort of converter
for the European output cable to a coax connector and try that output
into a TV. *The Archos may well not report ANY input unless the pic is
perfect.

just take the audio and video from the AV output, it's the most direct
route. Don't mess about with RF or coax.
-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 26, 6:12*am, b wrote:
On Nov 26, 3:44*am, myfathersson wrote:

OK I think you are right: I will have to find some sort of converter
for the European output cable to a coax connector and try that output
into a TV. *The Archos may well not report ANY input unless the pic is
perfect.

just take the audio and video from the AV output, it's the most direct
route. Don't mess about with RF or coax.
-B

OK All I get it indecipherable noise: There IS a chance that this is a
case of dirty heads as the heads have probably never been cleaned in
five to seven years, though the unit has had hardly any use. I have
seen this noise before and it was dirty heads. Back then, curiously on
leaving a tape in for a few hours working when I forgot to turn it
off, the noise turned to dots which turned to a picture of sorts;
which told me that the heads hadnt actually failed and I cleaned them
(with a static Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol placed against
counterclockwise turning heads. Next step is to give this a try.

I cant imagine that these multi-system heads are still available or
that they can be all that easy for a non-professional to install and
as I remember it, there is a whole lot of calibration involved which
is a bit beyond my capabilities (and there is nowhere near me to carry
out a repair at anything less than the replacement cost of the unit)

I do seem to remember from the old VCR days that a lot of replacement
heads were in reality dirty heads.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 27, 11:38*am, myfathersson wrote:
On Nov 26, 6:12*am, b wrote:

[...]

Some unusual results or I am in denial about the heads having gone

Firstly the heads seemed completely clean. (Or the q-tip isnt abrasive
enough and I should up the ante and try cleaning with something like
hydroflolurous acid instead of just rubbing alcohol?) Secondly there
was a peculiar round foam-rubber piece near the heads to clean it
constantly (which was of course filthy)

When I cleaned both, a dreadful version of the picture seemed to
appear on the screen for a few seconds before dissolving into liens of
completely indecipherable horizontal noise banding like before.

Does anyone think that a q-tip with rubbbing alcohol isnt strong
enough to get encrusted crud off normal heads?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Nov 27, 11:47*pm, myfathersson wrote:

Some unusual results or I am in denial about the heads having gone

Firstly the heads seemed completely clean. (Or the q-tip isnt abrasive
enough and I should up the ante and try cleaning with something like
hydroflolurous acid instead of just rubbing alcohol?) Secondly there
was a peculiar round foam-rubber piece near the heads to clean it
constantly (which was of course filthy)

When I cleaned both, a dreadful version of the picture seemed to
appear on the screen for a few seconds before dissolving into liens of
completely indecipherable horizontal noise banding like before.

Does anyone think that a q-tip with rubbbing alcohol isnt strong
enough to get encrusted crud off normal heads?

be very careful with using q tips as the threads can snag and break
the head chips!
Get rid of that filthy auto head cleaning roller, these are a stupid
'feature' which redeposit crap on the heads - or even wreck them. It
is like using the same q tip to clean your ears with over and over!
try using a piece of card like a business card and gently press it
against the drum whilst slowly turning it by hand.
-b
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

b wrote in message
[...]

++++++
get rid of that head dirtier foam firstly. I use ordinary clean paper and
dampening with meths and hand turning the drum against the paper a few
times.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 28, 3:34*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
b wrote in message

[...]

It really sounds like dirty heads to me. You mentioned "rubbing
alcohol". This product typically has 70 percent alcohol and 30 percent
water. This is not a good choice for cleaning video heads. I use a
product called "printers alcohol" This is known as "99 percent
anhydrous isopropyl". This is lab grade alcohol, which is one step
below pharmaceutical however we also medicinally as well. You can get
it from a chemical supply house. This would be a much better choice. I
never heard of using any type of acid and I wouldn't do that anyway.
Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

One way to clean VCR heads is to wet a foam swab with solvent (such as the
99% isopropyl suggested), then roll it over the head gap, rather than
dragging it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

One way to clean VCR heads is to wet a foam swab with solvent (such as the
99% isopropyl suggested), then roll it over the head gap, rather than
dragging it.

VCRs? What are those ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 28, 6:45*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
One way to clean VCR heads is to wet a foam swab with solvent (such as the
99% isopropyl suggested), then roll it over the head gap, rather than
dragging it.

Well I have taken everyone's advice and it doesn't seem to have
actually done much: whatever head cleaner I use should have at least
SOME effect and beyond that first time when I saw a phantom image
fleetingly across the screen,I have seen not the slightest
improvement??

Even with 70% alcohol, surely I should have seen at least some
improvement, even if not really clean? But there is n o image
whatsoever. So little that the TV's input cant even recognise those
horizontal bands of noise as an image and it cuts to 'no input signal'
within a few seconds. I dont think it is legal to buy CCL4 where I am
nor 99% alcohol. Any idea what I can try next? Is the too-much-water
in the cleaning solution really not making any dent in the crud on the
heads, even with a hard business card side rubbing against the heads?
The situation is that the card starts out white and ends white as
well, - where do I go from here?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

+++++

The barrel of a plastic kid's microscope and lighting to look at the heads
(may have to grind into the barrel , up to the objective) to get in close
enough ,with deck stuff in the way

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

One way to clean VCR heads is to wet a foam swab with solvent (such as the
99% isopropyl suggested), then roll it over the head gap, rather than
dragging it.

VCRs? What are those ?

They are too complex for your small mind to comprehend, Maynard. Go
troll somewhere else.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Nov 29, 5:24*am, myfathersson wrote:

Even with 70% alcohol, surely I should have seen at least some
improvement, even if not *really clean? But there is n o image
whatsoever. So little that the TV's input cant even recognise those
horizontal bands of noise as an image and it cuts to 'no input signal'
within a few seconds.

try leaving a known good/new 3 or 4 hour tape in the machine, running
in play.
Often, dirt can work itself out of the heads over time.
if still no good, maybe you can buy tape head cleaner fluid online -
even if it comes with one of those cassettes, you can dump the
cassette and just keep the fluid.
-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 30, 9:39*pm, b wrote:
On Nov 29, 5:24*am, myfathersson wrote:

Even with 70% alcohol, surely I should have seen at least some
improvement, even if not *really clean? But there is n o image
whatsoever. So little that the TV's input cant even recognise those
horizontal bands of noise as an image and it cuts to 'no input signal'
within a few seconds.

try leaving a known good/new 3 or 4 hour tape in the machine, running
in play.
Often, dirt can work itself out of the heads over time.
if still no good, maybe you can buy tape head cleaner fluid online -
even if it comes with one of those cassettes, you can dump the
cassette and just keep the fluid.
-B

You are obviously some kind of genius: It has done something! I had
used this method before but only when a head gave a terrible picture
to get it to give a slightly better one for a short while. This time
running a 6 hour third-speed tape through it a few times has turned
the screen of noise lines into a picture (of sorts)!

Do I now assume that the heads are REALLY dirty and need the strongest
possible cleaner? I now BELIEVE that the heads are just covered in
encrudded dirt: If so, what is needed please? CCL4? Or has the tape
passing over it got rid of the crud and left only a normal film which
can be got off with a normal cleaner? The 70% alcohol with a careful q-
tip or definitely something stronger?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:42:11 -0800 (PST), myfathersson
wrote:

On Nov 30, 9:39*pm, b wrote:
[...]

I would suggest obaining a new TDK tape and letting it play to the
end. For whatever reason, TDK tapes would do a better job of clearing
the heads than the other brands we tried. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Dec 2, 4:42*pm, myfathersson wrote:

You are obviously some kind of genius: It has done something! I had
used this method before but only when a head gave a terrible picture
to get it to give a slightly better one for a short while. *This time
running a 6 hour third-speed *tape through it a few times has turned
the screen of noise lines into a picture (of sorts)!

Do I now assume that the heads are REALLY dirty and need the strongest
possible cleaner? I now BELIEVE that the heads are *just covered in
encrudded dirt: * If so, what is needed please? CCL4? Or has the tape
passing over it got rid of the crud and left only a normal film which
can be got off with a normal cleaner? The 70% alcohol with a careful q-
tip *or definitely something stronger?

well, thanks for the praise! glad things seem to be moving forward
(pardon the pun).
I'd order some chamois sticks or a piece of chamois leather you can
cut down to size, and some decent isopropyl alcohol, and make a
professional job of it. Wait until you have the right tools before
going inside,and don't use Q tips as the fibres can snag the heads and
break the edges off - *not* something you want to happen!

Incidentally, there was one Panasonic case I had where it looked like
bad heads but turned out to be a bad capacitor in the power supply.
found it:

NVJ30(G-DECK) POOR PB PIC, STREAKS,C1122 IN PSU
also found that:
NVJ40 PB PIC BAD/ E2E PATTERNING C27(330UF10V) IN PSU
NVJ45 PB LIKE BAD HEADS 680UF/390UF IN PSU
NVL20 POOR PB PIC,ALL PSU ELECTROLYTICS

might be worth considering. Try leaving the machine plugged in and
powered up for a day or two, see if things improve. Often bad
capacitors work worse when cold.
-B