Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ion it USB turntable

Got this thing in for repair. It has no output from either the RCA
cables on line or phono out or the USB out. The interface board has a
great deal of smt circuitry on it and I'm thinking that this is
probably a waste of time but I had to ask. Anyone ever worked on one
of these? Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message
Got this thing in for repair. It has no output from either the RCA
cables on line or phono out or the USB out. The interface board has a
great deal of smt circuitry on it and I'm thinking that this is
probably a waste of time but I had to ask. Anyone ever worked on one
of these? Thanks, Lenny

My method would be first to measure the power supplies at the smt op-amp
pins to make sure they are there.

Second to make sure there is an output from the cartridge to the circuitry -
inject a signal into the circuitry to check this, or just your finger to
make a buzz.

If none of the above you are indeed probably wasting your time.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 16, 5:17*pm, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message

Got this thing in for repair. It has no output from either the RCA
cables on line or phono out or the USB out. The interface board has a
great deal of smt circuitry on it and I'm thinking that this is
probably a waste of time but I had to ask. Anyone ever worked on one
of these? Thanks, Lenny

My method would be first to measure the power supplies at the smt op-amp
pins to make sure they are there.

Second to make sure there is an output from the cartridge to the circuitry -
inject a signal into the circuitry to check this, or just your finger to
make a buzz.

If none of the above you are indeed probably wasting your time.

Gareth.

The power supply appears to be working. I'm not certain its putting
out the correct voltages, but I'll look at it again. I have a feeling
though that this pos is just another throw away. Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Yes, power supply is a likely candidate - find the regulators for the
digital stuff, there may be 2 or 3 different voltages required, unlike the
old days when everything ran off 5v.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Nov 16, 10:07*pm, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
Got this thing in for repair. It has no output from either the RCA
cables on line or phono out or the USB out. The interface board has a
great deal of smt circuitry on it and I'm thinking that this is
probably a waste of time but I had to ask. Anyone ever worked on one
of these? Thanks, Lenny

If all else fails, bypass the circuitry and just wire the cartridge up
to the RCA output sockets, then you can use the deck like a 'normal
'TT with any amp having a Phono input.

-b

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Got this thing in for repair. It has no output from either the RCA
cables on line or phono out or the USB out. The interface board has a
great deal of smt circuitry on it and I'm thinking that this is
probably a waste of time but I had to ask. Anyone ever worked on one
of these? Thanks, Lenny

If all else fails, bypass the circuitry and just wire the cartridge up
to the RCA output sockets, then you can use the deck like a 'normal
'TT with any amp having a Phono input.

-b

I would do it if it was mine but I don't think the customer has a
stereo system. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If all else fails, bypass the circuitry and just wire the cartridge up
to the RCA output sockets, then you can use the deck like a 'normal
'TT with any amp having a Phono input.

This unit probably has a ceramic pickup. If so, that won't work.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Got this thing in for repair. It has no output from either the RCA
cables on line or phono out or the USB out. The interface board has a
great deal of smt circuitry on it and I'm thinking that this is
probably a waste of time but I had to ask. Anyone ever worked on one
of these? Thanks, Lenny

If all else fails, bypass the circuitry and just wire the cartridge up
to the RCA output sockets, then you can use the deck like a 'normal
'TT with any amp having a Phono input.

-b

I would do it if it was mine but I don't think the customer has a
stereo system. Lenny

If they are making MP3s from vinyl they must have a computer to copy
the MP3s to a MP3 player.
It will have an audio input and sound recorder app.
So only need a codec to save the recorded input as an MP3. (which they
probably already have)
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:07:05 -0800 (PST), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

Got this thing in for repair. It has no output from either the RCA
cables on line or phono out or the USB out. The interface board has a
great deal of smt circuitry on it and I'm thinking that this is
probably a waste of time but I had to ask. Anyone ever worked on one
of these? Thanks, Lenny

Not sure it's worth the effort to repair. You can get a USB turntable
for $35US plus shipping:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=VS-2002-SPK
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Got this thing in for repair. It has no output from either the RCA
cables on line or phono out or the USB out. The interface board has a
great deal of smt circuitry on it and I'm thinking that this is
probably a waste of time but I had to ask. Anyone ever worked on one
of these? Thanks, Lenny

Not sure it's worth the effort to repair. *You can get a USB turntable
for $35US plus shipping:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=VS-2002-SPK

I copy my albums to cassette. With my hearing I'd never realize any
benefit going to the computer. If I was personally interested in
copying my LP's to digital though I don't think I'd buy one of these
cheapie turntables in the first place. In my opinion you're just
asking to have your records ruined. Rather to preserve my records, I
would want to use my nice Thorens turntable with a magnetic cartridge
that tracks at less than a gram, with with anti skating, etc along
with some kind of an analog to digital converter. There must be some
type of "black box" converter that will take either an RIAA phono
signal direct from the cartridge, or a line level signal perhaps from
the tape out of an amp and convert it to digital. Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"klem kedidelhopper"
wrote in message

I copy my albums to cassette. With my hearing I'd never realize any
benefit going to the computer. If I was personally interested in
copying my LP's to digital though I don't think I'd buy one of these
cheapie turntables in the first place. In my opinion you're just
asking to have your records ruined. Rather to preserve my records, I
would want to use my nice Thorens turntable with a magnetic cartridge
that tracks at less than a gram, with with anti skating, etc along
with some kind of an analog to digital converter. There must be some
type of "black box" converter that will take either an RIAA phono
signal direct from the cartridge, or a line level signal perhaps from
the tape out of an amp and convert it to digital.

Try this.

http://www.parasound.com/ParasoundZ/zphonoUSB.php

Disclaimer: Except for my Vendetta head amp, my tuner, controller, and power
amps are Parasound. I'm very friendly with the company, and John Curl, who
designed my head amp and power amps. I have no hesitation recommending
Parasound products.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"klem kedidelhopper"
wrote in message

I copy my albums to cassette. With my hearing I'd never realize any
benefit going to the computer. If I was personally interested in
copying my LP's to digital though I don't think I'd buy one of these
cheapie turntables in the first place. In my opinion you're just
asking to have your records ruined. Rather to preserve my records, I
would want to use my nice Thorens turntable with a magnetic cartridge
that tracks at less than a gram, with with anti skating, etc along
with some kind of an analog to digital converter. There must be some
type of "black box" converter that will take either an RIAA phono
signal direct from the cartridge, or a line level signal perhaps from
the tape out of an amp and convert it to digital.

Try this.

http://www.parasound.com/ParasoundZ/zphonoUSB.php

Or perhaps this if the Parasound is a little O.T.T.

http://www.studiospares.com/audio-in...FUEb4QodOniRpg

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Nelson" wrote in message
.com...
On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:58:54 -0500, klem kedidelhopper wrote
(in article
):

In my opinion you're just
asking to have your records ruined.

You know, I see that comment all the time and I wonder what the basis
for it is. I know about the tracking pressure, how good the needle is,
etc. But you are just playing it _once_ for crikey's sake. And if you are
converting them to digital, you probably don't have any more use for the
vinyl, anyway.

Which is all the more reason for making a really good transfer. Record
damage or not, a cheap ceramic pickup is not going to give the sound quality
of a decent magnetic pickup. The catch, of course, is that a good 'table,
pickup, preamp, ADC, etc, aren't cheap.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

[...]

That's expensive. OK it's got a pre-amp so you don't have to use line
and an output (like what computer with USB doesn't have sound built
in?) but I think it's the copy of Audacity vinyl restoration that
costs.

Video + audio capture £4.60.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...19JPPGH9MN8D3F

Anyone know of freeware click remover etc?
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Can of worms - what every fisherman wants.
Can of worms - what every PC owner gets!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

[...]

As far as I can tell, that Amazon unit is not a phono pre-amp, it is a line
amp, and will not work at all well with a turntable.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hill wrote:

Anyone know of freeware click remover etc?

Older versions of 'Cool Edit', from before Adobe bought it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

It is likely not to be mp3 coming down the USB but wav, raw 16 bit 44.1
kHz sampling, the rest done on the PC.

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 18:05:35 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

If all else fails, bypass the circuitry and just wire the cartridge up
to the RCA output sockets, then you can use the deck like a 'normal
'TT with any amp having a Phono input.

This unit probably has a ceramic pickup. If so, that won't work.

Really? Has anybody made those in the past 50 years?

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Both forms are readily available in a wide variety of price and in quality
(which do not track).

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:42:33 -0500, Nelson wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:58:54 -0500, klem kedidelhopper wrote
(in article
):

In my opinion you're just
asking to have your records ruined.

You know, I see that comment all the time and I wonder what the basis
for it is. I know about the tracking pressure, how good the needle is,
etc. But you are just playing it _once_ for crikey's sake. And, if
you are converting them to digital, you probably don't have an more use
for the vinyl anyway.

Pretty much true, but there is always resale value. Original vinyl in
very good condition gets a much better price. And sometimes i have to do
a second capture due to a gonk or other problem in the first one. Decent
equipment always does the job better than crap.

?-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

josephkk wrote:

Pretty much true, but there is always resale value. Original vinyl in
very good condition gets a much better price. And sometimes i have to do
a second capture due to a gonk or other problem in the first one. Decent
equipment always does the job better than crap.

About 10 years ago a gradute student did a project (I assume for a master's
thesis) where he developed software to "read" the music from a disk
by scanning it using a desktop scanner and processing the raw scanned file.

From what I remember researching it a few years ago, it never went any farther.

IMHO it would bear revisiting because of the improved scanners we have today
(although there are very few ones that can accomodate a 12 inch LP) and
the improved computers. There also has been more research in such things,
but not this one application.

Considering that even with good equipment there is a small amount of wear
caused by the stylus reading the disk and an optical scanner causes none,
one could scan the disk 10 or even 100 times and combine them to improve
accuracy.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

If all else fails, bypass the circuitry and just wire the cartridge up
to the RCA output sockets, then you can use the deck like a 'normal
'TT with any amp having a Phono input.

This unit probably has a ceramic pickup. If so, that won't work.

Really? Has anybody made those in the past 50 years?

99% of all stereo consoles used ceramic pickups. Almost all USB turntables
use ceramic pickups.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

It is usually better to track at above 1 gram. I have found that
setting tracking to less than a gram damages a record more than using
a higher setting. (The stylus has a tendency to lose contact with the
record and when the stylus lands it gouges out pieces of vinyl.) Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Audacity as i know it, comes free with Linux. Which one are you talking
about?

Video + audio capture £4.60.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...19JPPGH9MN8D3F

Anyone know of freeware click remover etc?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

If all else fails, bypass the circuitry and just wire the cartridge up
to the RCA output sockets, then you can use the deck like a 'normal
'TT with any amp having a Phono input.

This unit probably has a ceramic pickup. If so, that won't work.

Really? Has anybody made those in the past 50 years?

99% of all stereo consoles used ceramic pickups. Almost all USB turntables
use ceramic pickups.

There is no need for a preamp if it's ceramic, even if the cartridge output
goes into a built-in DAC. If there's a switch for a built-in phono preamp,
it's a magnetic cartridge. I've seen a lot of Audio Technica (or clone)
cheapies used for this, but I've not seen the Ion.

Problem is, the newer plastic tables are utter crap, even to the point of
resonating audibly as the record plays.

My recomendation is to refurbish an older (REAL) turntable and run it
through a USB preamp, but I realize that these days, many people are simply
wanting a simple, "Plug-n-Play" solution.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Nov 21, 7:19*pm, chuck wrote:

* It is usually better to track at above 1 gram.

....or even better, track at the cartridge manufacturer's recommended
weight! The specs for most carts are available online.

Most magnetic carts track somewhere between 1-5 - 3.5g.
The damage caused by tracking weight set too low comes from the tip
rattling about in the upper part of the 'groove' and bouncing off the
groove walls, instead of following a proper path in good contact with
each side.

-B

to those that helped with my turntable Vass[_7_] UK diy 10 July 29th 09 10:40 AM
OT--USB turntable Pdk Pdk Home Repair 26 July 1st 09 01:28 PM
Pioneer PL-600 Turntable Oddjob Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 06 04:57 PM
TURNTABLE TO BOOM BOX Victor Glock Electronics 0 July 12th 04 12:24 AM
Turntable Help Josh Nightingale Electronics Repair 15 March 9th 04 04:29 PM