Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default home-brew Freon TF substitutes?

Orson Cart wrote:

isw wrote:

At least some (perhaps not all) methylated hydrocarbons are completely

non-flammable, and also are heavier than water and will not mix with
it.
I am sure that is true of methylene chloride.

Be careful, though; it is a powerful solvent, removing, among other

things, *all* the oil from your skin, if you have much contact with
it.
It is absorbed through the skin, too, and hurts/burns.

It may also neatly soften or dissolve a lot of the plastics used in

electronics; I don't know.

Isaac

Methylene chloride is definitely not for electronic components.
It is used a paint stripper. I am sure it would require rinsing
off quickly with another solvent, otherwise your PCB would be
fuggered.
The sadly-missed chloro/fluoro-carbon cleaners would not damage the useful
stuff like plastics, rubber, lacquer, metal, paper et ecetera.

plus they didn't leave condensation- not really sure how they evporated
and took the water with them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote in
:

Orson Cart wrote:

isw wrote:

[...]

try CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner,#05110. no residue.
get it as Wal-Mart,or auto stores.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Methylene chloride is definitely not for electronic components.
It is used a paint stripper. I am sure it would require rinsing
off quickly with another solvent, otherwise your PCB would be
fuggered.

Burns like hell if it gets on your skin, too.

The sadly-missed chloro/fluoro-carbon cleaners would not damage the useful
stuff like plastics, rubber, lacquer, metal, paper et ecetera.

plus they didn't leave condensation- not really sure how they evporated
and took the water with them.

I'd guess that they had a low heat of vaporization... they didn't have
to "steal" much energy per volume in order to evaporate. This would
minimize the degree to which the surface is cooled, and thus reduce
the chance of dropping it to the dew point and causing condensation.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Not all CFCs are equally effective at destroying ozone. Is it possible there
are still cleaners using these "less-effective" Freons?