Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Default ibm laptop predesktop partition?

if you do not get an option to start it in the menu with options f1 go
to bios,f12 select temp boot device
does that mean it has been ran over(although with undelete program you
can see the pre desktop folders)
or perhaps inside thebios selecting secure, or disabled instead of
Normal for acess to the predesktop partition would change things?(what
do those terms mean anyway-bios says:secure=no change,normal=hidden
form os,changeok,disabled=not usable.not hidden(reclaimable)?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/11/2011 22:43, KORISNIK wrote:
if you do not get an option to start it in the menu with options f1 go
to bios,f12 select temp boot device
does that mean it has been ran over(although with undelete program you
can see the pre desktop folders)
or perhaps inside thebios selecting secure, or disabled instead of
Normal for acess to the predesktop partition would change things?(what
do those terms mean anyway-bios says:secure=no change,normal=hidden
form os,changeok,disabled=not usable.not hidden(reclaimable)?

What color is it? What voltage does it work on? Is there a fuse?

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 14:43:08 -0800 (PST), KORISNIK
wrote:

if you do not get an option to start it in the menu with options f1 go
to bios,f12 select temp boot device
does that mean it has been ran over(although with undelete program you
can see the pre desktop folders)
or perhaps inside thebios selecting secure, or disabled instead of
Normal for acess to the predesktop partition would change things?(what
do those terms mean anyway-bios says:secure=no change,normal=hidden
form os,changeok,disabled=not usable.not hidden(reclaimable)?

I think you might find it useful to disclose the exact model number of
your laptop. Not all IBM Thinkpads are the same. It might also be
helpful if you would disclose what you're trying to accomplish.
http://www.thinkwiki.org

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

wrote:

[...]

restore from t43 predesktop is the goal bur how do you start it
or at least make a bootable dvd out of it ;
also following bios predesktop settings are confusing
secure=no change,(AND HIDDEN?)
normal=hidden from os,changeOk(YOU NEED SOME SPECIAL PROG TO CHANGE
IT?)
disabled=not usable.visible and reclaimable(FIRST TIME BOOT TO OS WILL
START OVERWRITTING IT)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Jeff, I consider myself quite talented at converting badly written material
into something comprehensible. But if you understand what this guy is trying
to convey -- my hat's off to you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

wrote:

[...]

You can hide/unhide a partition with any partition manager. I use
GParted.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net

To recover your T43, see:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_recover_the_preloaded_OS
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Rescue_and_Recovery

If you wish to preserve the data on the hard disk, I would advise you
to make an IMAGE backup of your hard disk before proceeding. I use
Acronis True Image 2011, but there are free versions that should work.
If you make a mistake, restore the image and try again.

Also, it might be helpful if you would supply the name of the
operating system you're trying to recover.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 11:59:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Jeff, I consider myself quite talented at converting badly written material
into something comprehensible. But if you understand what this guy is trying
to convey -- my hat's off to you.

Thanks. I needed a challenge. Most usenet questions are easily
answered with a bit of Googling and some intelligent guesswork.
Decoding English as a second language type postings adds the necessary
challenge. If you do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address in the
header, it resolves to:
cable-188-2-16-188.dynamic.sbb.rs
which is near Belgrade, Serbia. SBB is Serbia BroadBand:
http://www.sbb.rs/SBB/2/Home+page.shtml

In this case, I think he's trying to recover the operating system on
an IBM T43 laptop, which was eaten by a virus. Not a big deal, but
he'll need a way to boot to the recovery partition before proceeding.