DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   caps for mobo (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/331376-caps-mobo.html)

Tom Del Rosso[_4_] November 4th 11 06:44 PM

caps for mobo

Of all the types of electrolytics at Digikey or Mouser, which do you favor
for replacement of bulging mobo caps?

zero, and remove the last word.

amdx November 4th 11 07:37 PM

caps for mobo

On 11/4/2011 12:44 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Of all the types of electrolytics at Digikey or Mouser, which do you favor
for replacement of bulging mobo caps?

I used Rubycon,

Here's where I got mine, He has other brands too.

http://badcaps.net/

I didn't get the kit, just replace the bulging caps.
The computer worked a couple years, then the HD died.

Just fired up a new computer build yesterday.
Mikek

spamtrap1888 November 4th 11 07:39 PM

caps for mobo

On Nov 4, 10:44*am, "Tom Del Rosso" wrote:
Of all the types of electrolytics at Digikey or Mouser, which do you favor
for replacement of bulging mobo caps?

This website is a gold mine of such information:

http://badcaps.net/forum/index.php

Michael A. Terrell November 4th 11 10:05 PM

caps for mobo

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Of all the types of electrolytics at Digikey or Mouser, which do you favor
for replacement of bulging mobo caps?

Digikey, Panasonic FM series is what I use.

[email protected] November 5th 11 05:35 AM

caps for mobo

On Nov 4, 2:05*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Of all the types of electrolytics at Digikey or Mouser, which do

you favor
for replacement of bulging mobo caps?

* *Digikey, Panasonic FM series is what I use.

FMs are good but sometimes not a size match. The Nichicon HM, HN ans
HZ series are even lower ESR than the FMs and are available in those
tall/skinny packages. Mouser carries a lot.

You want the lowest ESR and highest ripple current to reduce internal
heating of the cap to get longest life. My Gigabyte boards use organic
polymer caps that are sometimes an order of magnitude lower ESR.
Pricey but about as good as they get.

Stephen[_13_] November 5th 11 10:45 AM

caps for mobo

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message

Of all the types of electrolytics at Digikey or Mouser, which do you favor
for replacement of bulging mobo caps?

Panasonic FM or FC series......

Michael A. Terrell November 5th 11 04:21 PM

caps for mobo

wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Of all the types of electrolytics at Digikey or Mouser, which do

you favor
for replacement of bulging mobo caps?

Digikey, Panasonic FM series is what I use.

FMs are good but sometimes not a size match. The Nichicon HM, HN ans
HZ series are even lower ESR than the FMs and are available in those
tall/skinny packages. Mouser carries a lot.

I haven't run into a board where the FM didn't fit.

You want the lowest ESR and highest ripple current to reduce internal
heating of the cap to get longest life. My Gigabyte boards use organic
polymer caps that are sometimes an order of magnitude lower ESR.
Pricey but about as good as they get.

What I'm repairing isn't worth the extra expense. I no longer repair
$80,000 Telemetry receivers.

Tom Del Rosso[_4_] November 7th 11 12:55 AM

caps for mobo

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Of all the types of electrolytics at Digikey or Mouser, which do
you favor for replacement of bulging mobo caps?

Digikey, Panasonic FM series is what I use.

Thanks. There is no parts kit at badcaps.net for this model, so I would go
with that because Panasonic has a wide selection. Only question is, ESR is
not even spec'd. The Nichicon is a couple of ohms. Any idea what the FM
spec is?

zero, and remove the last word.

Michael A. Terrell November 7th 11 08:36 AM

caps for mobo

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Of all the types of electrolytics at Digikey or Mouser, which do
you favor for replacement of bulging mobo caps?

Digikey, Panasonic FM series is what I use.

Thanks. There is no parts kit at badcaps.net for this model, so I would go
with that because Panasonic has a wide selection. Only question is, ESR is
not even spec'd. The Nichicon is a couple of ohms. Any idea what the FM
spec is?

The 'Panasonic Industrial' website has the datasheets for all their
componets. The FM series datasheet lists the ESR for every part in that
line.

http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf/ABA0000/ABA0000CE108.pdf

larry moe 'n curly November 8th 11 12:43 PM

caps for mobo

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

ESR is not even spec'd. The Nichicon is a couple of ohms.
Any idea what the FM spec is?

I think a couple of ohms would be roughly 100x higher than normal,
unless the cap is small, like 10uF. For 1,000uF @ 10V, ESR is
probably around 0.02 ohm.

BadCaps.net has this thread about recommended cap brands and models:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Another thread linked to a big database of caps (278MB download):

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|850l33|4015592669|Datasheets.rar|278316 |R~28C904B8B6B913951D42F625FB45AB2C|0|0

I'm no expert, but I think for most caps on motherboards and video
cards, Panasonic FJ would be preferred to FM, but it seems FJ isn't
normally sold in the US, except from the only Ebay seller that doesn't
seem to sell counterfeit caps:

http://stores.ebay.com/PC-MotherBoard-Capacitors-Store

However they sell both good and bad brands. Prices aren't the lowest,
but shipping is cheap, so for small orders they can be the best
choice. Digi-Key shipping is also cheap for 8 oz. or less, about
$2.50.

In addition to Mouser, BadCaps.net, and Digi-Key, there's BDent.com,
which has mostly Sanyo (now labelled Suncon) but some Nichicon.

A friend of mine buys mostly Nichicon HN series, and apparently the
only better wet electrolytics for switching power supplies are
Nichicon HZ, which BadCaps may now be offering for the same price as
HN. I've been using mostly Sanyo WG, which are supposed to be between
Nichicon HN and HM in characteristics. The experts at BadCaps.net
generally recommend Japanese brands but warn against using United
Chemicon/Nippon Chemicon models KZG and KZJ (they say KZE is good),
and they don't like Toshin Kogyo (marked "TK"). I believe the only
non-Japanese or non-American caps they like are Samxon and Jamicon,
and Samxon is sometimes the only quality maker of certain narrow
diameter caps.

Tom Del Rosso[_4_] November 8th 11 06:49 PM

caps for mobo

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

ESR is not even spec'd. The Nichicon is a couple of ohms.
Any idea what the FM spec is?

I think a couple of ohms would be roughly 100x higher than normal,
unless the cap is small, like 10uF. For 1,000uF @ 10V, ESR is
probably around 0.02 ohm.

That sounds right, but oddly the mouser catalog has 1 to 3.5 ohms listed.

Thanks for all the info.

zero, and remove the last word.