Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anybody have a schematic for the SMPS for this laptop?

Anybody have a schematic for this simple SMPS?

AC to DC Adapter for the IBM Thinkpad T22
16V 3.36A

On the unit itself is
Battery Technology, Inc.
IB-PS365
09000000106991

from that I found:
Battery Technology, Inc.
16500 East Gale Avenue
City of Industry, CA 91745-1712
Tel: 626-336-6878
Fax: 626-336-5657
http://www.batterytech.com

but, they don't answer their phone, nor does their website 'find' any
refrence to this model?!
the 800 number from their own website comes up disontinued.

Anybody have a schematic? Especially interested in the input section
= AC mains up to the rectifiers and fusing.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
Anybody have a schematic for this simple SMPS?

AC to DC Adapter for the IBM Thinkpad T22
16V 3.36A

On the unit itself is
Battery Technology, Inc.
IB-PS365
09000000106991

from that I found:
Battery Technology, Inc.
16500 East Gale Avenue
City of Industry, CA 91745-1712
Tel: 626-336-6878
Fax: 626-336-5657
http://www.batterytech.com

but, they don't answer their phone, nor does their website 'find' any
refrence to this model?!
the 800 number from their own website comes up disontinued.

Anybody have a schematic? Especially interested in the input section
= AC mains up to the rectifiers and fusing.

Don't have the schematic, but tracing out the input part from the board
oughta be trivial.
Anything particular you're trying to determine?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 4, 11:05*am, mike wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

pigtail fuse size [can't read without removing]

any potential parts that may have zapped when the liquid hit it while
powered.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 4, 10:11*am, Robert Macy wrote:
Anybody have a schematic for this simple SMPS?

AC to DC Adapter for the IBM Thinkpad T22
* 16V 3.36A

This is a "fat snake" right? Can these be repaired? I always thought
they were completely potted with epoxy. I've never seen one that was
screwed together.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
On Nov 4, 11:05 am, mike wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Every thinkpad supply I've seen has been free of vent holes. You'd have
to drop in a puddle and leave it there to get much liquid in.

You gotta take out the fuse to replace it. If it's not marked, you can make
a guess based on the input current numbers on the sticker.

As for failure, when you fill it up with liquid, the input circuit
is not the weakest link. With a new fuse, you should measure continuity
between the input connector and the diodes. Check the diodes.
That's about all you can do.

More likely, liquid got into the switcher and smoked the main switch
transistor blowing the fuse. Check resistance source to drain on the
FET.

Depending on what liquid, how long before it got throughly neutralized
and thoroughly
dried, you may want to find a dumpster.

It's not extremely likely, but if some bit of corrosion grows and causes
the output voltage to increase to levels lethal to the thinkpad, you'll
be looking for a slightly bigger dumpster. If it catches fire and burns
down your house, you'll need a REALLY BIG dumpster.

The risk is critically dependent on whether the liquid was
clean water dried immediately or cat pee left for a month.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

spamtrap1888 wrote:
On Nov 4, 10:11 am, Robert Macy wrote:
Anybody have a schematic for this simple SMPS?

AC to DC Adapter for the IBM Thinkpad T22
16V 3.36A

This is a "fat snake" right? Can these be repaired? I always thought
they were completely potted with epoxy. I've never seen one that was
screwed together.

I've never seen one potted.
Clamp it in a vise and whack the seam with a wood chisel.
With practice, they snap apart relatively easily.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 11:36:26 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
wrote:

On Nov 4, 10:11*am, Robert Macy wrote:
Anybody have a schematic for this simple SMPS?

AC to DC Adapter for the IBM Thinkpad T22
* 16V 3.36A

This is a "fat snake" right? Can these be repaired? I always thought
they were completely potted with epoxy. I've never seen one that was
screwed together.

I've seen them glued together and held together with screws. Usually
they are a simple SMPS, and quite simple to troubleshoot.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 4, 11:36*am, spamtrap1888 wrote:
On Nov 4, 10:11*am, Robert Macy wrote:

Anybody have a schematic for this simple SMPS?

AC to DC Adapter for the IBM Thinkpad T22
* 16V 3.36A

This is a "fat snake" right? Can these be repaired? I always thought
they were completely potted with epoxy. I've never seen one that was
screwed together.

Actually, two cables and a plastic box. The box is a 'snap apart' by
gently inserting tool along the separation edges.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't recall ever seeing a typical clear glass fuse that wasn't
permanently marked with numbers pressed into the end cap.

Some old pigtails were often fitted with pressed-on "over" caps (to which
the leads were resistance welded), and removing the caps would reveal the
numbers in the underlying cap on the glass.
Flush-cutting wire cutters, or even a utility knife will cut the pressed-on
cap, it's only plated brass.

If the numbers are covered with solder, wick off the solder to reveal the
numbers.

--
Cheers,
WB