Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Using substitute Ink Cartridges in HP PSC 1315

I have a HP PSC 1315 printer, scanner, copier. The instruction manual
and the printer itself say to use 27 or 56 black, and 28 or 57 color
cartridges. I have a couple of 21 black and one 22 color cartridges
that are unopened. The pins and physical mounting appear to be
identical to the newer cartridges. I know that I can just put the
cartridges in and see what happens, but does anyone know for sure if
these older cartridges can definitely be used?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 20:29:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have a HP PSC 1315 printer, scanner, copier. The instruction manual
and the printer itself say to use 27 or 56 black, and 28 or 57 color
cartridges. I have a couple of 21 black and one 22 color cartridges
that are unopened. The pins and physical mounting appear to be
identical to the newer cartridges. I know that I can just put the
cartridges in and see what happens, but does anyone know for sure if
these older cartridges can definitely be used?

The carts have chips inside that will complain that you have the wrong
cart. I have the identical printer in the office but have not tried
swapping carts. When I tried it with other printers and almost
interchangable ink and toner carts, it usually fails.

I suggest you look into refilling the carts. I've had really good
luck with refilling black ink carts and almost no luck with the color
carts. Bulk black ink is cheap at 1000ml for about $30. At 10ml ink
for the HP27 cart, that's 100 refills.

Since my customers that have such printers don't do much color
printing, I set their printer driver to print everything in black and
white. The almost empty color cart just sits in the printer doing
nothing. When possible, I try to sell them on a laser printer
replacement (HP LJ2300dn this week) and using the AOI inkjet printer
as a small scanner.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

HI Jeff:

I appreciate your comments, I'm going to try the swap later today and
will report results.

I already refill cartridges with ink from Stratitec. I have refilled
some cartridges more than 15 times, eventually they start to streak
because some of the jets get tiredg. Had good luck with color also,
I never put in enough to fully fill the limited color volume, maybe
2/3 of what is claimed to be the refill amount, that way there is no
slopping over or out. I usually just drill the vent hole a little
larger to inject, and cover it with tape when finished.

The only problem is the "print" command always tells me the cartridge
is almost empty and you have to hit the "continue" command to keep on
going. But for the $$ saved, it is worthwhile. A little bleach on
the hands for 5 seconds gets any spilled ink stains off of me.

Bob H
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:05:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I already refill cartridges with ink from Stratitec. I have refilled
some cartridges more than 15 times, eventually they start to streak
because some of the jets get tiredg.

Did you buy their "auto reset" cartridge?
https://secure.datatekusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=285&products_id=2100&osCsid =c7p0443pf5kqpep97catoqjvn1
or, you could go through this exercise to reset the cart:
http://tricks-collections.com/ink-level-reset-for-hp-cartridge-21-27-56-58/
http://tricks-collections.com/alternate-ink-level-reset-for-cartridges-hp-21-hp-27-hp-56-hp-58-hp-22-hp28-and-hp-57/

Streaking is not a common problem. Usually, it's a clogged jet that
causes a white gap in the printing. Whenever I get streaking, it's
usually a semi-hardened blob on ink on the edge of the cart. Cleaning
it with soapy water or ammonia cleaner usually fixes it.

Had good luck with color also,

Not me. I get about a 1/3 yield from my color refills.

I never put in enough to fully fill the limited color volume, maybe
2/3 of what is claimed to be the refill amount, that way there is no
slopping over or out. I usually just drill the vent hole a little
larger to inject, and cover it with tape when finished.

My syringes don't have markers, so I have to guess on the refill
amount. However, slopping ink is not the problem. It's clogged jets.

The only problem is the "print" command always tells me the cartridge
is almost empty and you have to hit the "continue" command to keep on
going. But for the $$ saved, it is worthwhile.

Try the cart reset procedure listed above.

A little bleach on
the hands for 5 seconds gets any spilled ink stains off of me.

I use maximum odoriferous ammonia cleaner. It cleans the dried ink
and also helps eject the crowd of visitors that often infest my
palatial office. If I have a clogged head, I use a small ultrasonic
cleaner for a few seconds.

This might be of interest:
"Wholesale - ink cartridge converter-hp27/28 /56/57 to hp21/22"
http://www.dhgate.com/ink-cartridge-converter-hp27-28-56-57-to/p-ff80808122c3cedc0122c488ff847115.html
The "conversion" is in the wrong direction, but it shows that
substitution can be done. However, the $435 price tag might make it
uneconomical.

Let us know if you're able to use the substitute carts.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I tried a 21 Black and a 22 Color cartridge yesterday, they worked
fine. On the HP machine, inside, it said 27, 56 for Black, and 28, 57
for color, don't know why they didn't list the older cartridges.

Gripfill Cartridges Stuart B UK diy 3 September 24th 07 09:29 PM
Cartridges david lang UK diy 8 January 1st 06 06:23 PM
Damned ink jet cartridges [email protected] Electronics Repair 15 April 16th 05 12:23 AM
Moen Cartridges Patch Home Repair 9 February 12th 05 07:36 AM
WTB: cub cadet 1315 mower deck craig callinan Home Ownership 0 August 11th 04 11:11 PM