DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Asus N7600GS (red dots and lines) (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/331021-asus-n7600gs-red-dots-lines.html)

Jack00 October 26th 11 09:45 PM

Asus N7600GS (red dots and lines)

I got this graphics card in my PC and the picture on the monitor
displays red dots and lines and sometimes goes away but returns
again. I had to disable the driver for this card as Windows XP wont
boot in normal mode ie shows a black screen but in safe mode XP boots
but with red spots and lines and the picture goes purple if you try to
browse on the internet. Is there any tests I can do with a
multimeter? Or maybe get hold of a circuit diagram?

Franc Zabkar October 28th 11 04:37 AM

Asus N7600GS (red dots and lines)

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:45:08 -0700 (PDT), Jack00
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I got this graphics card in my PC and the picture on the monitor
displays red dots and lines and sometimes goes away but returns
again. I had to disable the driver for this card as Windows XP wont
boot in normal mode ie shows a black screen but in safe mode XP boots
but with red spots and lines and the picture goes purple if you try to
browse on the internet. Is there any tests I can do with a
multimeter? Or maybe get hold of a circuit diagram?

Those symptoms are consistent with a fault in the card's RAM. By
switching to a different driver, you are accessing difference areas of
memory. Also, if you select a lower refresh rate, this may mitigate
any timing issue.

Did you check the fan and capacitors on the card?

- Franc Zabkar

Jack00 October 28th 11 03:45 PM

On Oct 28, 4:37*am, Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:45:08 -0700 (PDT), Jack00
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I got this graphics card in my PC and the picture on the monitor
displays red dots and lines and sometimes goes away but returns
again. *I had to disable the driver for this card as Windows XP wont
boot in normal mode ie shows a black screen but in safe mode XP boots
but with red spots and lines and the picture goes purple if you try to
browse on the internet. *Is there any tests I can do with a
multimeter? *Or maybe get hold of a circuit diagram?

Those symptoms are consistent with a fault in the card's RAM. By
switching to a different driver, you are accessing difference areas of
memory. Also, if you select a lower refresh rate, this may mitigate
any timing issue.

Did you check the fan and capacitors on the card?

- Franc Zabkar

I did check the capacitors and some were high with a capacitor meter
so I replaced them and the card worked for a few days but the symptoms
returned again. The power supply voltages going to the card seem
normal. Are there any tests I can do on the card?

Franc Zabkar October 29th 11 08:56 AM

Asus N7600GS (red dots and lines)

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 07:45:52 -0700 (PDT), Jack00
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I did check the capacitors and some were high with a capacitor meter
so I replaced them and the card worked for a few days but the symptoms
returned again. The power supply voltages going to the card seem
normal. Are there any tests I can do on the card?

I suspect that the card manufacturers would have their own
diagnostics, but I haven't seen anything like this on the Internet. I
don't know what you could do except to narrow down the fault with a
hair dryer and spray freezer. I would also choose the lowest possible
refresh rate in the properties for your card.

The only other thing I can think of, if you really are desperate to
save this card, would be to reduce its capacity from 256MB to 128MB,
assuming of course that yours is the former.

- Franc Zabkar

N_Cook October 29th 11 09:44 AM

Franc Zabkar wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 07:45:52 -0700 (PDT), Jack00
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I did check the capacitors and some were high with a capacitor meter
so I replaced them and the card worked for a few days but the symptoms
returned again. The power supply voltages going to the card seem
normal. Are there any tests I can do on the card?

I suspect that the card manufacturers would have their own
diagnostics, but I haven't seen anything like this on the Internet. I
don't know what you could do except to narrow down the fault with a
hair dryer and spray freezer. I would also choose the lowest possible
refresh rate in the properties for your card.

The only other thing I can think of, if you really are desperate to
save this card, would be to reduce its capacity from 256MB to 128MB,
assuming of course that yours is the former.

- Franc Zabkar

A last resort might be trying insulated jaw soft clamp over , in sequence,
some of the chippery in case of poor SMD/BGA solder somewhere. If that
improves things then maybe some sort of dedicated clamp , assuming
resoldering is out of the question