Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default home-brew Freon TF substitutes?

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 24/10/2011 13:33, Nomen Nescio wrote:
I last saw this in the mid 1990s. I knew a warehouse that still
had some drums hidden away...
Bloody best cleaner ever. Although some liked Genklene,
now also banned.
There are some commercial spray cleaners that claim to be
almost as good. I would like something in bulk for dipping
computer boards. Isopropyl alchohol is suggested by some,
but has 9% water usually.

Not sure where you are, but isopropyl alcohol is usually available 99.9%
pure, with a negligible water content.

--

Jeff

I'd go along with that. The stuff specified as 'electronics grade' is
typically at least 99.7% to get that rating

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 24/10/2011 13:33, Nomen Nescio wrote:
I last saw this in the mid 1990s. I knew a warehouse that still
had some drums hidden away...
Bloody best cleaner ever. Although some liked Genklene,
now also banned.
There are some commercial spray cleaners that claim to be
almost as good. I would like something in bulk for dipping
computer boards. Isopropyl alchohol is suggested by some,
but has 9% water usually.

Not sure where you are, but isopropyl alcohol is usually available
99.9% pure, with a negligible water content.

--

Jeff

I'd go along with that. The stuff specified as 'electronics grade' is
typically at least 99.7% to get that rating

Arfa

the IPA commonly available at drug stores is usually 90-91%,I believe,at
least in the US.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 26, 11:59*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote :

[...]

You usually need to get it from an industrial supply house. I buy it
by the 5 gallon pail. It is commonly known as
"Lab grade anhydrous isopropyl, 99%". This is one step below
pharmaceutical grade but it's still pretty pure. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

[...]

Probably the same here, which is why you have to go to an electronic parts
supplier to get the electronics grade one

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Arfa Daily" ? wrote in
:

?
?
? "Jeff Layman" ? wrote in message
? ...
?? On 24/10/2011 13:33, Nomen Nescio wrote:
??? I last saw this in the mid 1990s. I knew a warehouse that still
??? had some drums hidden away...
??? Bloody best cleaner ever. Although some liked Genklene,
??? now also banned.
??? There are some commercial spray cleaners that claim to be
??? almost as good. I would like something in bulk for dipping
??? computer boards. Isopropyl alchohol is suggested by some,
??? but has 9% water usually.
??
?? Not sure where you are, but isopropyl alcohol is usually available
?? 99.9% pure, with a negligible water content.
??
?? --
??
?? Jeff
?
? I'd go along with that. The stuff specified as 'electronics grade' is
? typically at least 99.7% to get that rating
?
? Arfa
?
?

the IPA commonly available at drug stores is usually 90-91%,I believe,at
least in the US.

50%, 70% and 90%. I have asked several drug stores about getting
purer IPA and was told 90% is the best they can get. I use a lot of 90%
to prep for insulin shots, so I try to keep three or four bottles on
hand. There are times that I can't find 90% for a couple months at a
time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

[...]

I don't know if US parts suppliers even carry IPA in any percentage.

besides,after you open your bottle of 99% IPA,it probably absorbs enough
moisture from the air to drop it to 91%..... ;-)

Hmm,IIRC,Everclear (grain alcohol from a liquor store) is 95% ethanol.
I believe it's the highest % of alcohol lawfully sold for drinking
purposes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

I don't know if US parts suppliers even carry IPA in any percentage.

besides,after you open your bottle of 99% IPA,it probably absorbs enough
moisture from the air to drop it to 91%..... ;-)

What Microdyne bought came in a 5 gallon can, and it had a valve to
dispense the IPA.

Hmm,IIRC,Everclear (grain alcohol from a liquor store) is 95% ethanol.
I believe it's the highest % of alcohol lawfully sold for drinking
purposes.

I found a bottle of 198 proof whiskey in the barn on a farm some
friends had just bought, along with spurs for cockfighting. That was
back in the '60s and the former owner had died so there was no reason to
call the police. We just threw the junk into their scrap pile.

There are Google hits for 198 proof Everclear & white lightning.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:13:57 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

[...]

Everclear is 95% because that's the azeotrope of the water and alcohol
mixture. This means that it boils at a lower temperature than pure
alcohol or pure water. So the 95/5 mixture boils before the pure
ethonal boils and that's what ends up in the bottle. When alloying
metals a similar thing happens and you get an alloy that melts at a
lower temperatute than either of the pure metals. In that case it is
the eutectic.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
wrote:

Everclear is 95% because that's the azeotrope of the water and alcohol
mixture. This means that it boils at a lower temperature than pure
alcohol or pure water. So the 95/5 mixture boils before the pure
ethonal boils and that's what ends up in the bottle. When alloying
metals a similar thing happens and you get an alloy that melts at a
lower temperatute than either of the pure metals. In that case it is
the eutectic.

As I understand it, in order to get a higher concentration of ethanol,
you have to remove the water through selective adsorbtion, or by
binding the water chemically.

Absolute ethanol is *not* something you want to try to drink (it'll
burn your tissues due to its very strong affinity to the water therein).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Everclear is 95% because that's the azeotrope of the water and alcohol
mixture. This means that it boils at a lower temperature than pure
alcohol or pure water. So the 95/5 mixture boils before the pure
ethonal boils and that's what ends up in the bottle. When alloying
metals a similar thing happens and you get an alloy that melts at a
lower temperatute than either of the pure metals. In that case it is
the eutectic.

As I understand it, in order to get a higher concentration of ethanol,
you have to remove the water through selective adsorbtion, or by
binding the water chemically.

Absolute ethanol is *not* something you want to try to drink (it'll
burn your tissues due to its very strong affinity to the water therein).

The dryers used to get higher than 95% are harmful to ingest. It's a small
percentage but bad stuff.

Greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

[...]

Probably similar to lab grade 95% higher grades cannot be drunk. They used
to use lab grade to spike the punch. Had some high purity isopropyl. By the
time the alcohol dries, there is water droplets on boards. Must be dried
with warm air.

99% turns to 100% water.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

gregz wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

[...]

Adding to the problem, the cooling effect from alcohol evaporation causes
condensation of water vapor.

Greg