DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   UK source of these .6mm "Dremmel" thick cut off discs (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/330901-uk-source-these-6mm-dremmel-thick-cut-off-discs.html)

N_Cook October 23rd 11 03:37 PM

UK source of these .6mm "Dremmel" thick cut off discs

Tube Packaged Black and Decker RT1018 36 piece 15/16 inch Emery Cutoff
Wheels. These are very similar to Dremel 409 cut-off wheels. Use with 1/16
inch Screw Mandrel which is not included. 0.025 inch thick. Use with Dremel
rotary tools. Made in USA.
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...wheel/XST5-RT1
018

In-Excess had them for 0.80 GBP per tub but I did not buy enough tubs when
they were in stock. Or a similar product say 20 to 36 in a tub, not the
expensive half dozen and a mandrel which are commonly available in model
shops. To cut the steel of an equipment case for a larger pannel switch, or
whatever, takes 3 or 4 of them for one job.

Michael A. Terrell October 23rd 11 03:55 PM

N_Cook wrote:

Tube Packaged Black and Decker RT1018 36 piece 15/16 inch Emery Cutoff
Wheels. These are very similar to Dremel 409 cut-off wheels. Use with 1/16
inch Screw Mandrel which is not included. 0.025 inch thick. Use with Dremel
rotary tools. Made in USA.
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...wheel/XST5-RT1
018

In-Excess had them for 0.80 GBP per tub but I did not buy enough tubs when
they were in stock. Or a similar product say 20 to 36 in a tub, not the
expensive half dozen and a mandrel which are commonly available in model
shops. To cut the steel of an equipment case for a larger pannel switch, or
whatever, takes 3 or 4 of them for one job.

You're using the wrong tool, as usual.

Ron October 23rd 11 03:58 PM

On 23/10/2011 15:37, N_Cook wrote:
Tube Packaged Black and Decker RT1018 36 piece 15/16 inch Emery Cutoff
Wheels. These are very similar to Dremel 409 cut-off wheels. Use with 1/16
inch Screw Mandrel which is not included. 0.025 inch thick. Use with Dremel
rotary tools. Made in USA.
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...wheel/XST5-RT1
018

In-Excess had them for 0.80 GBP per tub but I did not buy enough tubs when
they were in stock. Or a similar product say 20 to 36 in a tub, not the
expensive half dozen and a mandrel which are commonly available in model
shops. To cut the steel of an equipment case for a larger pannel switch, or
whatever, takes 3 or 4 of them for one job.

wrong tool for the job...

N_Cook October 23rd 11 04:00 PM

UK source of these .6mm "Dremmel" thick cut off discs

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
m...

N_Cook wrote:

Tube Packaged Black and Decker RT1018 36 piece 15/16 inch Emery Cutoff
Wheels. These are very similar to Dremel 409 cut-off wheels. Use with

1/16
inch Screw Mandrel which is not included. 0.025 inch thick. Use with

Dremel
rotary tools. Made in USA.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...wheel/XST5-RT1
018

In-Excess had them for 0.80 GBP per tub but I did not buy enough tubs

when
they were in stock. Or a similar product say 20 to 36 in a tub, not the
expensive half dozen and a mandrel which are commonly available in model
shops. To cut the steel of an equipment case for a larger pannel switch,

or
whatever, takes 3 or 4 of them for one job.

You're using the wrong tool, as usual.

I don't own a nibbler, which of course is a one-job-type tool anyway, so
hard to justify for 5 times a year use

N_Cook October 23rd 11 06:14 PM

Ron wrote in message
[...]

Such a job a couple of months back with 2mm thick steel. It would take a
windy nibbler to attack that panel in place populated with everything else
around it - colateral damage from the vibration ?. An hour job each side ,
to clear the panel and then to mill out , alternatively, so a Dremmel and 4
discs expended is very much the tool of choice there.

Jeff Layman[_2_] October 23rd 11 07:13 PM

UK source of these .6mm "Dremmel" thick cut off discs

On 23/10/2011 15:37, N_Cook wrote:
Tube Packaged Black and Decker RT1018 36 piece 15/16 inch Emery Cutoff
Wheels. These are very similar to Dremel 409 cut-off wheels. Use with 1/16
inch Screw Mandrel which is not included. 0.025 inch thick. Use with Dremel
rotary tools. Made in USA.
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...wheel/XST5-RT1
018

In-Excess had them for 0.80 GBP per tub but I did not buy enough tubs when
they were in stock. Or a similar product say 20 to 36 in a tub, not the
expensive half dozen and a mandrel which are commonly available in model
shops. To cut the steel of an equipment case for a larger pannel switch, or
whatever, takes 3 or 4 of them for one job.

Complete set of various wheels, polishers, sanders, etc he
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/1...rpose-Set.html

But you might want to consider spending a few quid on a tungsten carbide
cutting wheel. See here (watch the wrap!):
http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/prod...ith-arbor.aspx

--

Jeff

Michael A. Terrell October 23rd 11 07:23 PM

N_Cook wrote:

[...]

But you can justify wasting all those cutting disks, the metal dust
and rough cut holes? I've worn out four nibblers over the last 40
years. I currently own two hand nibblers, and an air powered nibbler.
They work fast and cut very neat holes if you know how to use them, but
you'd rather screw up every thing you touch.

N_Cook October 23rd 11 08:17 PM

Jeff Layman wrote in message
[...]

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/prod...2mm-rotary-dis
cs-with-arbor.aspx

--

Jeff

Other than sub-mm drill bits in my Dremel its really only the parting off
discs I use . I do own a diamond-dust edge and faced disc but have never
used it, leaving it for some job that requires .3mm cut that so far I've
never come across a requirement for. Its far too easy to snag such discs
with hand held apparatus, but snap a .6mm grinding disc is an
inconsequential loss.

William Sommerwerck October 23rd 11 08:48 PM

UK source of these .6mm "Dremmel" thick cut off discs

Other than sub-mm drill bits in my Dremel its really only the parting off
discs I use . I do own a diamond-dust edge and faced disc but have never
used it, leaving it for some job that requires .3mm cut that so far I've
never come across a requirement for. Its far too easy to snag such discs
with hand held apparatus, but snap a .6mm grinding disc is an
inconsequential loss.

This is meant sincerely.

Your writing is improving. Keep at it.

Baron[_4_] October 23rd 11 09:21 PM

UK source of these .6mm "Dremmel" thick cut off discs

Jeff Layman Inscribed thus:

[...]

£2.79 in "Boyes" shops !

I just bought one 50mm dia with mandrel.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

[email protected] October 23rd 11 10:57 PM

UK source of these .6mm "Dremmel" thick cut off discs

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:37:04 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

Tube Packaged Black and Decker RT1018 36 piece 15/16 inch Emery Cutoff
Wheels. These are very similar to Dremel 409 cut-off wheels. Use with 1/16
inch Screw Mandrel which is not included. 0.025 inch thick. Use with Dremel
rotary tools. Made in USA.
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...wheel/XST5-RT1
018

In-Excess had them for 0.80 GBP per tub but I did not buy enough tubs when
they were in stock. Or a similar product say 20 to 36 in a tub, not the
expensive half dozen and a mandrel which are commonly available in model
shops. To cut the steel of an equipment case for a larger pannel switch, or
whatever, takes 3 or 4 of them for one job.

That sounds like a job for an oscillating saw (Fein, Festool,
Craftsman, Harbor Freight, etc). Just buy good blades - the Harbor
Freight blades are OK on wood but their metal-cutting blades are wimpy
at best.

John

N_Cook October 24th 11 08:28 AM

wrote:

[...]

Its a long time since I used one but I seem to remember they require too
large an operational footprint for this sort of use on "populated" cases -
say an audio mixer panel with nearly all available space occupied by
something. And then chance of colateral damage from vibration ? .
Parting-off discs cause no vibration , they also give a clean safe cut edge
with just a little break out "swarf" that a chamfering run with the disc
soon rids.

N_Cook October 24th 11 10:30 AM

UK source of these .6mm "Dremmel" thick cut off discs

Looks as though I will have to buy 10 tubs , 360 discs, of these B&D from
the USA as not much different in price to one tub of the Dremel equivalent
bought in the UK. Had another Google for the B&D ones in the UK and still
nothing found