Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Any opinions, experiences with Best Buy store brand Dynex HDTV's?

There are some good prices on Dynex (Best Buy house brand) TV's right
now. They're at the bargain end, though I read they're made by LG. Are
they certifiable crap or decent? Not really concerned with esoteric
picture issues and don't care about onboard sound as I plan on using
other speakers, mostly interested in durability. The similarly priced
Emerson's from Walmart seem to have very hit and miss reliability, the
online reviews I've read for Dynex seem to be better. Hoping
electronics savvy folks here will have some insights as to the
components.

Is there a particular brand you regard as being as close to
bulletproof as you're going to get with an HDTV?

Thanks for any input.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 2, 6:45*pm, muzician21 wrote:
There are some good prices on Dynex (Best Buy house brand) TV's right
now. They're at the bargain end, though I read they're made by LG. Are
they certifiable crap or decent? Not really concerned with esoteric
picture issues and don't care about onboard sound as I plan on using
other speakers, mostly interested in durability. The similarly priced
Emerson's from Walmart seem to have very hit and miss reliability, the
online reviews I've read for Dynex seem to be better. Hoping
electronics savvy folks here will have some insights as to the
components.

Is there a particular brand you regard as being as close to
bulletproof as you're going to get with an HDTV?

Thanks for any input.

Does it matter? Do you really expect it to work more than a couple of
years at that price point? How long do cheap shoes, cheap tools,
cheap tires last? You get what you pay for. And I'm pretty sure LG
doesn't make them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you believe CU's statistics (and I'm inclined to), flat panel TVs from
any MAJOR manufacturer, are remarkably reliable. Dynex is not a major
manufacturer, and I doubt Dynex products are made by LG.

If you want something inexpensive and good, get Vizio. If you buy it from
Costco, you get an extra year's warranty.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 2, 8:17*pm, John-Del wrote:

Is there a particular brand you regard as being as close to
bulletproof as you're going to get with an HDTV?

Thanks for any input.

Does it matter? *

In this case, yes. I'm looking for information, insight from direct
experience dealing with this specific brand. Also, in case it wasn't
clear, when I ask if there's a particular brand that you regard as
being more bulletproof than others, I wasn't restricting that part of
the question to price.

Do you really expect it to work more than a couple of
years at that price point? *How long do cheap shoes, cheap tools,
cheap tires last? *

Not sure what a realistic expectation is. That's why I'm asking in a
forum where people deal with electronics. Sometimes "cheap" can last
remarkably long. I have a cheap Emerson CRT tv I got from WalMart
that's over 10 years old and still going strong. I have a cheap Mag
CRT monitor I got from Best Buy that's about as old that I only
replaced because I wanted a 16:9 monitor. In my experience cheap tires
seem to last about as long as the pricey brands. Aren't the ultra-
expensive tires on certain cars like Corvettes notorious for not
having a long lifespan?

I recognize you from rec.audio pro - I'm sure you're aware people get
great performance from inexpensive mics all the time.

Hoping to get input based on specific experience with the particular
brand.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 2, 11:33*pm, muzician21 wrote:

I recognize you from rec.audio pro

Scratch that, it's William Sommerwerck below that I recognize from
rec.audio.pro

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 15:45:42 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
wrote:

There are some good prices on Dynex (Best Buy house brand) TV's right
now. They're at the bargain end, though I read they're made by LG. Are
they certifiable crap or decent? Not really concerned with esoteric
picture issues and don't care about onboard sound as I plan on using
other speakers, mostly interested in durability. The similarly priced
Emerson's from Walmart seem to have very hit and miss reliability, the
online reviews I've read for Dynex seem to be better. Hoping
electronics savvy folks here will have some insights as to the
components.

Is there a particular brand you regard as being as close to
bulletproof as you're going to get with an HDTV?

Thanks for any input.

I can't vouch for Dynex. However, we use an Insignia (Best Buy's other
house brand) 32" monitor in an operation where it is on from 8 AM
until 10 PM every weekday for 2 years now. It hasn't had any problems
and has an very good picture. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Last I knew....Funai was a MAJOR manufacturer of house brands. I
believe all the Insignia stuff is Funai. My old Memorex DVD player
said Memocorp, which was reselling Funai brands.

Oh...and Emerson...is made by Funai. if the price points and features
are the same...that's likely who made the Dynex brand TV.