Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default why Dc Adapter get faulty on UPS?

Can anyone please tell me that Why do DC Adapters get Faulty on UPS ??

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Two possibilities.

One is if it uses a standard power transformer. If the UPS puts out
square waves or "sine" waves that are full of harmonics it may cause
enough inefficiency in the transformer to overheat it.

Two, if it uses a switchmode convertor, it might not like square
waves. If a 120 V square wave is input you get 120V DC rectified. If
it's a sine wave it would be 160 V DC. If it only has 120 V DC it's
the same as only feeding it 85 V AC sine wave. It might not like less
than 90 V AC (effectively) because to remain in regulation the peak
current will be higher in the chopper output device(s).

UPSes are only supposed to be used for a short time. In fact at one
time I was thinking of connecting some big big truck batteries to one
and having a longer use time but thought about it for a minute and
decided it would be a bad idea. Not only do I think the UPS itself may
burn up, there is also the issue of what is plugged into it. If you
want to stay off the grid for a long time either get a generator

It converts to DC right ? Well just cut the cord, get a battery of the
proper voltage and set it up with a charging ballast resistor and a
diode to feed the thing when the power goes out. I have seriously been
considering doing this to cordless phones.

Faulty DI Gareth Magennis Electronic Schematics 6 December 18th 08 11:31 AM
Can I charge my laptop with a 60W adapter instead of a 90W adapter?! [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 January 7th 07 02:58 AM
Sell:Brass Male Adapter,Swivel Female Adapter,Flare Adapter,Tee,Connector,Barbed Tee,Elbow, valvetom Home Repair 0 November 27th 06 06:50 PM
Faulty LCD TV Ian N Electronics Repair 3 September 9th 05 07:41 AM
Faulty tv Larry Brasfield Electronics Repair 4 April 7th 05 01:53 PM