Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

Default Hello Kitty Toaster

This toaster:

http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/...ty-toaster.jpg

is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but
it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non-
Kitty side) of the bread burns. Is there any way to make it toast
more evenly?

All the heating coils are in series, so I can't cut the power to just
some of the coils by adding a diode.

The bread is held in baskets that clamp the bread on the sides when
it's lowered, and I tried making one side of the basket hold the toast
farther from the coils on the non-Kitty side, but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block
some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material (to
prevent shock hazard).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 26, 1:20*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
This toaster:

*http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/...lo-kitty-toast....

is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but
it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non-
Kitty side) of the bread burns. *Is there any way to make it toast
more evenly?

All the heating coils are in series, so I can't cut the power to just
some of the coils by adding a diode.

The bread is held in baskets that clamp the bread on the sides when
it's lowered, and I tried making one side of the basket hold the toast
farther from the coils on the non-Kitty side, but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block
some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material (to
prevent shock hazard).

Use bread that has little age on it. The problem is, your bread is
typical super market stuff, really high moisture content. It's made
that way because water content = higher profit. Or find someone to
make up a batch of real home made bread and odds are it will do much
better in the toaster.

Joe
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:20:05 -0700 (PDT), "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

This toaster:

http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/...ty-toaster.jpg

is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but
it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non-
Kitty side) of the bread burns. Is there any way to make it toast
more evenly?

All the heating coils are in series, so I can't cut the power to just
some of the coils by adding a diode.

The bread is held in baskets that clamp the bread on the sides when
it's lowered, and I tried making one side of the basket hold the toast
farther from the coils on the non-Kitty side, but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block
some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material (to
prevent shock hazard).

Sorry I can't help with electric stuff.
But if nobody else can solve your problem you might try a cat stencil.
Lay the stencil on the bread and brush some butter on before you put
the bread in a toaster made for sane people.
Not sure if the butter will catch on fire, but if it does move on to
marmalade and other things until you get it right.
Or see if somebody sells one-sided bread so there's no other side to
burn.

--Vic
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

This toaster:

http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/...ty-toaster.jpg

is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but
it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non-
Kitty side) of the bread burns. Is there any way to make it toast
more evenly?

All the heating coils are in series, so I can't cut the power to just
some of the coils by adding a diode.

The bread is held in baskets that clamp the bread on the sides when
it's lowered, and I tried making one side of the basket hold the toast
farther from the coils on the non-Kitty side, but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block
some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material (to
prevent shock hazard).

Just use aluminum foil. The basket that holds the bread to be toasted
is made out of metal, right? Just cut the foil to the exact size of the
bread and put it flat against the side that would burn. If you keep
the foil inside the basket, there should be very little shock hazard,
but don't let your local safety nazi find out. ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:07:56 -0700, Rich Grise wrote:

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

This toaster:

http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/...9/hello-kitty-

[...]

Or thin aluminum sheet, such as you may find making the tray in a toaster
oven.

Cut holes in it, or another "hello kitty" profile, or Bart Simson, or
maybe a "Hello Biker Kitty".

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

wrote:

This toaster:

http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/...ty-toaster.jpg

Sell the toaster and buy this, instead. A better Hello Kitty product
and it works

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hello%20kitty%20ar%2015/ForestSniper/hello-kitty-ar-15-rifle1.jpg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 7:20*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
This toaster:

*http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/...lo-kitty-toast....

is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but
it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non-
Kitty side) of the bread burns. *Is there any way to make it toast
more evenly?

All the heating coils are in series, so I can't cut the power to just
some of the coils by adding a diode.

The bread is held in baskets that clamp the bread on the sides when
it's lowered, and I tried making one side of the basket hold the toast
farther from the coils on the non-Kitty side, but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block
some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material (to
prevent shock hazard).

So you want less power on the plain side, relative to the stencil
side.
- capacitor across plain side. But this will increase Pout on other
side, so add a series choke to the toaster, or run it off a small
transformer to cut a bit of voltage off the supply
- snip some of the R wire out of the plain side, and wire it in on the
stencil side
- convert the lead to 3 wire, with a wire for the centre tap, and run
it off a CT transformer plus a small series tf on one side, so the 2
element sides get different votlage

etc etc. How do you want to do it?

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:08:24 -0500, John S wrote:
Asbestos.

Magnets!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 26, 2:07*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

[...]

Rich- Hide quoted text -

My thoughts, exactly

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

What a waste!

I'd have made a toaster that prints an image of the Virgin Mary. I'd have
the believers lined up for a slice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4034787.stm

--
Paul Hovnanian
Every time Windows crashes, a devil gets his horns.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:45:20 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

What a waste!

I like my toast soft on the inside, and incinerated on the outside.
The best way to make that is with a propane torch.

I'd have made a toaster that prints an image of the Virgin Mary. I'd have
the believers lined up for a slice.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4034787.stm

You would also have the wannabe, clones, and also ran's making them.
http://virginmaryagain.com

As for the toast, what bugs me are wide mouth toasters designed to fit
a bagel or muffin. Mine seems to work fine for bagels and muffins,
but mangles thinly sliced bread in various ways depending on how the
bread is inserted. I was even able to create a "gradient" toast,
which was burnt on one end, and not toasted on the other. More on the
problem:
http://groups.google.com/group/ba.food/browse_thread/thread/8884de25c128fb1f/

Anyway, if the Kitty Toaster has some kind of design woven onto one
side, just rip apart the design, remove the nichrome wire, and re-wire
it in a more sensible manner. The rest is in setting the timing to
prevent incineration and centering the bread slice. I suspect the
most difficult part of this modification would be getting the case
open, which is probably solvent or ultrasonically welded. Good luck.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

Flop the bread halfway through the cycle. The image won't be as strong, but
at least the toasting will be even.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 2:20*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
This toaster:

*http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/...lo-kitty-toast....

is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but
it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non-
Kitty side) of the bread burns. *Is there any way to make it toast
more evenly?

Does it have a "bagel" setting?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

On 08/26/2011 01:20 PM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:
This toaster:

http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/...ty-toaster.jpg

is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but
it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non-
Kitty side) of the bread burns. Is there any way to make it toast
more evenly?

All the heating coils are in series, so I can't cut the power to just
some of the coils by adding a diode.

The bread is held in baskets that clamp the bread on the sides when
it's lowered, and I tried making one side of the basket hold the toast
farther from the coils on the non-Kitty side, but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block
some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material (to
prevent shock hazard).

Use an atomizer to apply a fine mist of water to the plain side before
toasting?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block
some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material
(to prevent shock hazard).

An asbestos pad?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We use the one sided bread in ours, works perfectly fine.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 14:33:45 -0500, amdx wrote:

[...]

Excellent.
I've looked through many boiler water level sight glasses which were
mica lined, but didn't think of it.
I see eBay has mica sheeting for sale, and elsewhere.

--Vic
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

In article ,
amdx wrote:

We use the one sided bread in ours, works perfectly fine.
Mikek

Is that the Mobius brand?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

Soaked in carbon tetrachloride, first?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
message ...
I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen
to block
some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal
material
(to prevent shock hazard).

An asbestos pad?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

Yeah, but you need to eat twice as much, to fill you up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"amdx" wrote in message

Or see if somebody sells one-sided bread so there's no
other side to
burn.
--Vic

We use the one sided bread in ours, works perfectly fine.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

Gee, didn't you read the Old Toastermant where it tells all
about Mica, and the sheets?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Vic Smith" wrote in
message news

Asbestos.

Mica sheets.

Excellent.
I've looked through many boiler water level sight glasses
which were
mica lined, but didn't think of it.
I see eBay has mica sheeting for sale, and elsewhere.

--Vic

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 16:32:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Gee, didn't you read the Old Toastermant where it tells all
about Mica, and the sheets?

Not bad, not bad at all.

--Vic
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but
it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non-
Kitty side) of the bread burns. Is there any way to make it toast
more evenly?

All the heating coils are in series, so I can't cut the power to just
some of the coils by adding a diode.

The bread is held in baskets that clamp the bread on the sides when
it's lowered, and I tried making one side of the basket hold the toast
farther from the coils on the non-Kitty side, but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block
some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material (to
prevent shock hazard).

Is it a 100 volt Japanese model you are trying to use on 120 Volts in the US?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

We use the one sided bread in ours, works perfectly fine.

Is that the Moebius brand?

It would be a lot easier to make a moebius bagel.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

We use the one sided bread in ours, works perfectly fine.

Is that the Moebius brand?

It would be a lot easier to make a moebius bagel.

Stay away from the Klein bagels. You have to put the toaster inside
to heat them. ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

We use the one sided bread in ours, works perfectly fine.

Is that the Moebius brand?

It would be a lot easier to make a moebius bagel.

Stay away from the Klein bagels. You have to put the toaster inside
to heat them. ;-)

I think one of those special toasters came as a built-in in Heinlein's
tesseract house.

--
aem sends...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

?
? William Sommerwerck wrote:
??
???? We use the one sided bread in ours, works perfectly fine.
??
??? Is that the Moebius brand?
??
?? It would be a lot easier to make a moebius bagel.
?
?
? Stay away from the Klein bagels. You have to put the toaster inside
? to heat them. ;-)
?
?
I think one of those special toasters came as a built-in in Heinlein's
tesseract house.

It didn't work, though. It was built for use in another universe.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Gee, didn't you read the Old Toastermant where it tells all
about Mica, and the sheets?

That reference is a little too ambiguous for those of us who don't know the
bible, like us Catholics.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

We use the one sided bread in ours, works perfectly fine.

Is that the Moebius brand?

It would be a lot easier to make a moebius bagel.

I once went to the department store to get a toaster, and all
they had was "bagel toasters." I had to ask the guy, "Will these
toast regular bread?" He assured me that they did.

Didn't have any "hello kitty" bagel toasters, AFAIK.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

A few Jews and Christians of various denomination might
understand. Of course, good Catholics (like good
Protestants, Jews, Methodists, Prebrytarians, Jehovas
Witnesses, Mormons, Episcopals, and others) read and study
the Old Toastermant.

15. Having been descended from the royal linage of David,
begat sons and daughters.
16. Toastmaster, being a son of David, invented the pop-up
toaster in the 1920s.
17. Toastmaster, having lived 476 years, begat sons and
daughters.
18. And it came to pass the sons and daughter of
Toastermaster were other venerable brands of toasters and
toaster ovens such as Black & Decker, Hamilton Beach, and
Sunbeam, plus players such as Cuisinart, DeLonghi, Kenmore
(Sears), KitchenAid, Krups, Rival, T-Fal, Proctor Silex, and
West Bend.
19. And it came to pass that some toasters followed in the
tradition of David. Dualit makes old-fashioned,
commercial-style, heavy-gauge stainless-steel toasters.
20. Others of the children of Toastmaster went the way of
society. Most brands manufacture two- and four-slice models
and a few now manufacture toasters with one long slot.
21. Use this information to compare toasters and toaster
ovens by brand.
22. The sons of Toastmaster lived to the days of old age.
The firsborn, even Black and Decker, raised up unto the Lord
a wild one named Hello Kitty, who was wont to put her image
on one side of the bread, deviating from the way of the Lord
to golden brown both sides.
23. And the father and mother of Hello Kitty were wroth, and
cried mightily unto the LORD for healing for their daughter
Hello Kitty.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Gee, didn't you read the Old Toastermant where it tells
all
about Mica, and the sheets?

That reference is a little too ambiguous for those of us who
don't know the
bible, like us Catholics.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

Did I mention that last week I bought a toaster and they gave me
this really nice bank?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Did I mention that last week I bought a toaster and they gave me
this really nice bank?

Just don't plug the bank in, or it'll burn all your money.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

Default XPOST Hello Kitty Toaster

On 8/27/2011 4:14 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but
it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non-
Kitty side) of the bread burns. Is there any way to make it toast
more evenly?

All the heating coils are in series, so I can't cut the power to just
some of the coils by adding a diode.

The bread is held in baskets that clamp the bread on the sides when
it's lowered, and I tried making one side of the basket hold the toast
farther from the coils on the non-Kitty side, but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block
some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material (to
prevent shock hazard).

Is it a 100 volt Japanese model you are trying to use on 120 Volts in the US?

Geoff.

The Japanese version is used to toast the Kitty then you put it on the
bread.

LdB