DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Speaker voice coil windings (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/327581-speaker-voice-coil-windings.html)

N_Cook August 23rd 11 02:14 PM

Speaker voice coil windings

What is the difference between N turns of wire of cross-sectional area A and
2 parallel coils of N turns and wire area A/2 ?

Jeffrey Angus[_2_] August 23rd 11 02:34 PM

On 8/23/2011 8:14 AM, N_Cook wrote:
What is the difference between N turns of wire of cross-sectional area A and
2 parallel coils of N turns and wire area A/2 ?

The ability of marketing to carry on about the reduced "skin effect"
and how it enhances to sound of the speaker.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"

N_Cook August 23rd 11 02:53 PM

Jeffrey Angus wrote in message
On 8/23/2011 8:14 AM, N_Cook wrote:
What is the difference between N turns of wire of cross-sectional area A

and
2 parallel coils of N turns and wire area A/2 ?

The ability of marketing to carry on about the reduced "skin effect"
and how it enhances to sound of the speaker.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"

I have one in front of me burnt out in a small section not overlying an
obvious stress point,ie not lead-in , lead-out or bend. I was just wondering
if finer wire could make a VC more vulnerable to failure due to microscopic
grit or swarf or something.

Jeffrey Angus[_2_] August 23rd 11 02:55 PM

On 8/23/2011 8:53 AM, N_Cook wrote:
Jeffrey wrote in message
On 8/23/2011 8:14 AM, N_Cook wrote:
What is the difference between N turns of wire of cross-sectional area A

and
2 parallel coils of N turns and wire area A/2 ?

The ability of marketing to carry on about the reduced "skin effect"
and how it enhances to sound of the speaker.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"

I have one in front of me burnt out in a small section not overlying an
obvious stress point,ie not lead-in , lead-out or bend. I was just wondering
if finer wire could make a VC more vulnerable to failure due to microscopic
grit or swarf or something.

Actually, I would think that method would allow a thinner gap.
Higher flux density in the gap then.

Probably a good reason nobody else is doing it.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"

gregz August 23rd 11 11:44 PM

"N_Cook" wrote:
What is the difference between N turns of wire of cross-sectional area A and
2 parallel coils of N turns and wire area A/2 ?

Not sure about description, but seems like the layers would snuggle each
other better? Is that what your asking? Square wire is the best for keeping
air gaps out or flat edge wound.

Greg

N_Cook August 24th 11 08:22 AM

gregz wrote in message
.
"N_Cook" wrote:
What is the difference between N turns of wire of cross-sectional area A

and
2 parallel coils of N turns and wire area A/2 ?

Not sure about description, but seems like the layers would snuggle each
other better? Is that what your asking? Square wire is the best for

keeping
air gaps out or flat edge wound.

Greg

As far as i can see under x30 and feel, this coubled up fine wire is round
in section. I can see finer wire requires less intrusion into the former to
carry the fist axial run , before the first turn proper. Also able to make a
tighter bend perhaps with less localised stressing than the single wire
option.