Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ping Jim Yanik Tek 365

Hey, Jim.

Long story short my 465 quit a while back. No trace at all, even with the
beam finder. I got tired of looking at it sitting there, and decided to poke
around and see if I got lucky. Well, I found a missing -8v line which, when
jumpered in, seems to restore normal function. That line draws about 600mA.
Cannot readily access the bridge rectifier CR1569 to remove and test out of
circuit - I suspect it is (partially) open.

Is this a common problem? Seem like I'm on the right track?

Thanks!

Mark Z.

--
"I can't die until the government finds a safe place to bury my liver."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in
.com:

Hey, Jim.

Long story short my 465 quit a while back. No trace at all, even with
the beam finder. I got tired of looking at it sitting there, and
decided to poke around and see if I got lucky. Well, I found a missing
-8v line which, when jumpered in, seems to restore normal function.
That line draws about 600mA. Cannot readily access the bridge
rectifier CR1569 to remove and test out of circuit - I suspect it is
(partially) open.

Is this a common problem? Seem like I'm on the right track?

Thanks!

Mark Z.

I had to replace many bridge rectifiers in the power supplies.
152-0488-00,IIRC,and 152-0462-00;the bigger bridges.

my shortcut;
flex the old bridge back and forth til the leads broke,then use a
soldersucker to remove the leads remaining in the holes.
then stand the new bridge off the board about 1/4 to 3/8" so you can solder
the leads without having to remove the MB. watch polarity!
I'd often bend the bridge leads 90deg then trim to length and solder into
the PCB,for case clearance,particularly on the big bridges.

another worry is filter caps leaking electrolyte and eating through PCB
traces on the back side of the mainboard. I used to have to do a lot of
big eyelet setting(for big filter caps) and track repairs;
One boss preferred to not replace PCB's if avoidable;he'd rather a tech put
in many hours filling in holes with epoxy,setting eyelets and track
repairs.

One note;some filter caps in the PS used the can (the 3 or 4 negative pins)
to connect parts of the circuit,IOW,you had to solder ALL the cap pads,or
if substituting an axial leaded cap(many customers would sub in any old cap
from their junkbox),bridge the can pads for continuity.

BTW,I figured you were talking about the 465,not a "365"(no such animal).
8-)
No problemo!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
[...]

Thanks Jim. I figured you'd know what was up with these. That bridge is
nestled down pretty flush with the board; I might opt to just get the board
lifted up some for access, especially in view of the possibility of corroded
trace(s).

Thanks again!

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Mark Zacharias" wrote in
.com:

Hey, Jim.

snip

Long story short my 465 quit a while back. No trace at all, even with

snip

No problemo!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

When the 465 failed for the second time I felt somewhat betrayed.

I developed this "theory" that Tek's were a lot like Harley Davidson
motorcycles...

If you love them, if you can fix them, and don't mind the oil stains on your
living room floor, go for it!

Otherwise get a B&K or something that just works. :-)

Mark Z.

Ping TMH The Wanderer[_2_] UK diy 5 February 1st 09 02:10 AM
Paging Jim Yanik - 7000 series plugin question msg Electronics Repair 4 November 20th 08 09:02 PM
Ping RAM³ Wayne Metalworking 1 June 23rd 08 05:42 PM
Ping Leo Van Der Loo JD Woodturning 2 March 2nd 08 08:26 PM
Fly by night PING PING Shopdog Woodworking 6 May 18th 06 05:08 AM