Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Paint peeled in Microwave

Hi all

In my microwave, under the turntable paint has peeled off in some
areas and the underlying metal is starting to rust.

Is there any hazard in using the Microwave in this condition?

If I wanted to repair it what sort of paint I should use?

The Microwave is about 3 years old and is out of warranty

--
Thanks for any help

ClueLess
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 20:11:41 +0530, Clueless
wrote:

In my microwave, under the turntable paint has peeled off in some
areas and the underlying metal is starting to rust.

Is there any hazard in using the Microwave in this condition?

You're fine, as long as the paint doesn't vaporize and end up in the
food. Clean up any flakes with sandpaper. Also, look for signs of
arcing as that may have caused the paint to peel.

If I wanted to repair it what sort of paint I should use?

Appliance enamel or appliance epoxy paint. If you're down to bare
metal, you'll need a primer coat. I use epoxy because it's harder.
I'm not sure which is the correct paint. Most vendors offer touch up
paint.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7617498_repair-microwave-oven-paint.html

The Microwave is about 3 years old and is out of warranty

So much for quality.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Clueless" wrote in message
Hi all

In my microwave, under the turntable paint has peeled off in some
areas and the underlying metal is starting to rust.

Is there any hazard in using the Microwave in this condition?

The only real danger is letting it rust through so the microwaves can leak
out and cook you.

Sand it down to clean metal and slap somr Hammerite paint on it.

My last microwave was rusting through the bottom so I kept a leakage warning
meter close at hand - the door mechanism/safety interlock failed before the
corroded case became dangerous.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gs gs is offline

On Jul 26, 10:41*am, Clueless wrote:
Hi all

In my microwave, under the turntable paint has peeled off in some
areas and the underlying metal is starting to rust.

Is there any hazard in using the Microwave in this condition?

If I wanted to repair it what sort of paint I should use?

The Microwave is about 3 years old and is out of warranty

--
Thanks for any help

ClueLess

Just today I tried repairing a bathtub, or at least for the short
term. Used rust converter, then appliance epoxy spray paint. I used to
repair leaking stainless tanks with strips of aluminum glued down. It
would work in a microwave with the strip capacitively coupled to the
container.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 20:11:41 +0530, Clueless
put finger to keyboard and composed:

In my microwave, under the turntable paint has peeled off in some
areas and the underlying metal is starting to rust.

Is there any hazard in using the Microwave in this condition?

If I wanted to repair it what sort of paint I should use?

See page 10-6 of the following catalogue:
http://www.wagner.net.au/catalogue/10_Microwave.pdf

There are plenty of sources for "Microwave Oven Cavity Touch-Up
Paint":
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22to...e+paint+cavity

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:55:35 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

In my microwave, under the turntable paint has peeled off in some
areas and the underlying metal is starting to rust.

Is there any hazard in using the Microwave in this condition?

You're fine, as long as the paint doesn't vaporize and end up in the
food. Clean up any flakes with sandpaper. Also, look for signs of
arcing as that may have caused the paint to peel.

Many thanks to all of you for helping me out.

I will try the methods suggested.
--
Thanks again
ClueLess