Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CM7000PAL vs MDR513H/F7

Since my VCR is so old and now has broken an internal part, I
decided to upgrade to a recorder with a hard disk drive and was
close to buying a CM7000PAL for OTA recording, until until CM
customer service informed me that the hard disk drive runs 24 hours
a day, even if the unit is turned off.

I next looked at the Magnavox MDR513H/F7 recorder and the
Funia customer service (by phone) informed me that the hard disk
drive shuts down when the unit is turned off. I'm unsure of the
quality of the customer service person's technical background
on this particular unit.

Does anyone here have experience with either of these units?
I am energy conscious, and do not want to buy such a recorder
with a hard disk drive does not shut down, after a period of
non-use, such as a computer's hard disk drive.

Does a TIVO recorder's hard disk drive run 24 hours a day?