Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Electric dog fence installation trouble

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for your help with a problem I’m having with my
electric dog fence. I recently purchased Innotek’s IUC 5100:

http://www.amazon.com/Innotek-IUC510...3776943&sr=8-3

It would appear that the way in which I want to install the system is
atypical and not recommended by Innotek. I live in a 2 story house
with a basement. My house sits in the center of my plot of land. I
would like to keep the dog (Sadie) out of the back yard and contain
her only in the front. The transmitter is mounted in the center of the
wall on the longside of the concrete foundation. One side of the loop
starts at the transmitter, drops to the floor, runs out of the sill to
the yard, completes the loop and enters the house through the sill on
the opposite side and runs back to the transmitter. The issue with
this is that because the antenna runs along floor of the basement of
the house, Sadie can get shocked while leaving and entering. It is
spotty at times but if she gets shocked when trying to leave the house
my fear is that she will never want to go outside again. To combat
this issue I decided to splice in a piece of copper stranded shielded
wire in the hopes that this would shield incoming and outgoing signal.
At the entry points into the basement, I spliced both the shielded
cable and the single strand. At the transmitter I stripped approx 6”
of the shielded cable (on both left and right sides) and pulled the
center solid wire through the braid. I then connected both of these to
building ground. Much to my surprise, the shielded cable behaved the
same as the single copper wire loop I ran outside; it acted like an
antenna setting of the collar. The transmitter has 2 terminals that
connect to a separate surge protector box via a twisted cable. The
surge protector box has 4 terminals total, two that connect to the
transmitter and two that connect to the loop. The transmitter has a
non grounded power supply that plugs into the surge protector which is
grounded. I called Innotek and described what I was trying to do and
the best solution they could give me was to essentially splice on an
additional 1000’ and double back to the starting point. While I do not
want to incur the expense of the additional wire, I am also stubborn
and would like to know the theory behind this and why it will not
work. Innotek informed me that the fence operates at 8.192 kHz while
the remote control operates at 27 MHz(not sure if remote is
important). If anyone has any suggestions I would be most
appreciative. Our dog needs more outside time and I do not want to
constantly have to worry that she is going to run off. Thank you in
advance for your help.

Jesse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://www.amazon.com/Innotek-IUC510...round/dp/B004Q...

It would appear that the way in which I want to install the system is
atypical and not recommended by Innotek. I live in a 2 story house
with a basement. My house sits in the center of my plot of land. I
would like to keep the dog (Sadie) out of the back yard and contain
her only in the front.

Realizing that no "invisible" electric fence will prevent aggressive
stray dogs from attacking Sadie, the best solution is to build a chain
link or picket fence around your front yard.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 26, 6:45*pm, spamtrap1888 wrote:
On Apr 25, 5:50*pm, Jstein wrote:

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for your help with a problem I’m having with my
electric dog fence. I recently purchased Innotek’s IUC 5100:

http://www.amazon.com/Innotek-IUC510...round/dp/B004Q...

It would appear that the way in which I want to install the system is
atypical and not recommended by Innotek. I live in a 2 story house
with a basement. My house sits in the center of my plot of land. I
would like to keep the dog (Sadie) out of the back yard and contain
her only in the front.

Realizing that no "invisible" electric fence will prevent aggressive
stray dogs from attacking Sadie, the best solution is to build a chain
link or picket fence around your front yard.

With all due respect, this does not answer my question. That aside, I
have never encountered overly aggressive dogs in my neighborhood, nor
is she left alone for long periods of time.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 25, 5:50*pm, Jstein wrote:

[...]

Barry had already pointed out another pitfall: that if she ignored the
shock to chase, say, a squirrel, she'd not want to return. Did you
skip over the part where he had a physical fence as well as the wire?

But she's only a dog, and getting another one is easy enough, I
suppose. And you have some $300 invested in the underground wire
system that you'd hate to waste. I understand.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:50:55 -0700 (PDT), Jstein
wrote:

[...]

I turn the system off for Shadow to cross the boundry.

John Ferrell

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

While this thought had occured to me, it is not ideal for me because
we sometimes keep the collar on her when she is in the house. She
likes to grab random items around the house and not drop them on
command. This is a habit we have been trying to break since day one
and she is now starting to understand the consequences of this
behavior. As I mentioned above, the collar can pick up the fence wire
in the basement and she can get shocked while freely roaming the house
which is not practical.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Relocate transmitter to rear wall and reroute loop so that all areas
she is allowed including the house are inside the loop perimeter and
she will not cross this perimeter entering and leaving basement.
--
Mr.E