DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Compaq Presario 1230 Laptop Accessing BIOS Setup (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/321144-re-compaq-presario-1230-laptop-accessing-bios-setup.html)

[email protected] April 1st 11 03:57 PM

Compaq Presario 1230 Laptop Accessing BIOS Setup

Hi Geoff,

I downloaded the SM (THANKS), but that procedure on page 21 has to do
with the power on password.

My issue is the BIOS Settings password. However, I tried that procedure,
but waited longer than 30 seconds to be sure of the "clear". Unfortunately,
it did not work. I am still faced with the BIOS settings PW prompt.

I searched the .PDF for every occurrence of "password", but the only ones
I found relates to power on password. I also checked "Computer Setup"
(press F10), but there was no information regarding a password, only
power management, etc.

The screen I see after I press F10 is: "PhoenixBios Setup Utility".
Below that is the slot for a password.

I also searched the .PDF for "Phoenix" (not found), "Bios" (found, but
no information on a password).

Apparently the PW is stored in the BIOS which no doubt is a "flash" BIOS.

Again, thank you for the SM link, John

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:14:03 +0000 (UTC), in sci.electronics.repair you wrote:

wrote:

If I can change the boot sequence, I can do without the floppy drive,
but to get into the settings by pressing F10, I have to enter a password.
I don't have the phone number of the person I bought it from who lives
out of town.

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/edwin/laptops/compaq/Compaq%20Presario/Compaq%20Presario%201230%201232.pdf

Page 21.

Geoff.