Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Magnavox ZV450MW8A Remote Control Fix?

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:04:24 -0800, "Guv Bob"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

It is a real shame that such a fine device from a good manufacturer ...

FYI, it's made by Funai:
http://www.funai-corp.com/6pdf/om/ZV450MW8A.pdf

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have had this DVD/VCR combo unit for over 3 years now, and would like to find out if anyone has found a 3rd party remote control that can be used with it, or if the factory has a remote with upgraded software.

The device is top quality and the manual is excellent, but the remote is so complicated and non-intuitive that if you don't use it every day, you have to go back to the manual, even after this long time.

The manual does leave out some basic steps -- like how to set the record speed (which they call "mode"). I'm fairly good with electronics (servicing industrial electronics is my business) and took me a good year before I could make basic settings without looking it up.

Most of the features can't be done from the device and must be done via the remote control which is cryptic. It has way too many buttons, even for a combo unity, and has tiny labels that can't be read in a darkened room. If you hit a wrong button, sometimes it is impossible to figure out how to return the device to normal use without digging out the manual again. My manual is well worn and has many notes scribbled in it now.

One problem is that when you are using the timer, you have to turn the device off and on with a button other than the ON/OFF button. If your lovely wife comes in and used ON/OFF, it disables the timer, and must be reset again with the special non-ON/OFF button.

It is a real shame that such a fine device from a good manufacturer has such a poor user interface. A better designed remote would completely change the usability.

Bob