Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Plugs but no jacks

Everybody sells 3.5mm plugs but nobody sells 3.5mm jack that you can
mount and solder wires to. Is there a source? Most dealers don't even
know the difference.

--
All is as it is.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fuddy Dud wrote:
Everybody sells 3.5mm plugs but nobody sells 3.5mm jack that you can
mount and solder wires to. Is there a source? Most dealers don't even
know the difference.

Search on "stereo headphone jack pcb" on eBay. You will find plenty of
people selling them "buy it now" (outright sale, not an auction).

In my experience the vendors from Hong Kong that include the postage
in the price sell decent quality and ship via registered mail.

Still it pays to look carefully at what is being sold, there are all kinds
of quality, mounting options, etc.

If you are in the US or UK, you might want to try Farnell. Farnell sells almost
everywhere in the world, but they have $35 mininum SHIPPING CHARGE in
some places. They sell many grades of quality, none are the out of spec
junk sold at DIY stores, flea markets, etc.

Note that shipping from EU countries (including the UK) is relatively cheap
and reliable. Shipping from the US to other countries is slow and unreliable.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 09:56:28 -0400, Fuddy Dud
wrote:

Everybody sells 3.5mm plugs but nobody sells 3.5mm jack that you can
mount and solder wires to. Is there a source? Most dealers don't even
know the difference.

The magic Google buzz word is "3.5mm panel mount jack". For example:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062450
You'll also need to specify 2, 3, or 4 (iPhone) conductors.

http://www.schurter.ch/var/schurter/storage/ilcatalogue/files/document/datasheet/en/pdf/typ_4832.1200.pdf
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It's likely that the naming of the jack is different when listed by
different suppliers. You don't say where you're located, or where you've
tried to find them.

In the U.S. that Shack store sells them.. I've bought both the 1/8" mini
(3.5mm) and the 3/32" submini (2.4?mm) sizes there in recent months.

The two styles of 1/8" size stereo phone jacks are p/n 274-0246 and 274-0249
(they might also have mono jacks).

The jacks can be described various ways..

Mini phone jack (not related to telephone)
Phone jack
Headphone/headset jack
Earphone jack
Audio jack, mini audio jack
1/8" mini jack
Mini TRS jack (stereo)

--
Cheers,
WB

"Fuddy Dud" wrote in message
Everybody sells 3.5mm plugs but nobody sells 3.5mm jack that you can mount
and solder wires to. Is there a source? Most dealers don't even know the
difference.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Fuddy Dud wrote:

Everybody sells 3.5mm plugs but nobody sells 3.5mm jack that you can
mount and solder wires to. Is there a source? Most dealers don't even
know the difference.

I buy these by the 100 and use them frequently. Not really esoteric.
Even have a customer-designed product that I had to source a jack with a
small-pattern mounting nut to fit a machined pocket. It was about .010"
smaller across the flats than the ones I'd been buying.

Your use of "everybody" and "nobody" seem a tad hyperbolic.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fuddy Dud Inscribed thus:

Everybody sells 3.5mm plugs but nobody sells 3.5mm jack that you can
mount and solder wires to. Is there a source? Most dealers don't even
know the difference.

Salvage some from old modems or PC sound cards !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:56:35 +0000, baron
wrote:

Fuddy Dud Inscribed thus:

Everybody sells 3.5mm plugs but nobody sells 3.5mm jack that you can
mount and solder wires to. Is there a source? Most dealers don't even
know the difference.

Salvage some from old modems or PC sound cards !

Wow. I'm still getting them from radios and portable tvs. I'm 3
ahead now of the number I've used.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 14, 8:10*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The magic Google buzz word is "3.5mm panel mount jack". *For example:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062450
You'll also need to specify 2, 3, or 4 (iPhone) conductors.

http://www.schurter.ch/var/schurter/storage/ilcatalogue/files/documen...

I see Schurter also makes inline jacks, which I haven't seen IRL for
years and years.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm Inscribed thus:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:56:35 +0000, baron
wrote:

Fuddy Dud Inscribed thus:

Everybody sells 3.5mm plugs but nobody sells 3.5mm jack that you can
mount and solder wires to. Is there a source? Most dealers don't
even know the difference.

Salvage some from old modems or PC sound cards !

Wow. I'm still getting them from radios and portable tvs. I'm 3
ahead now of the number I've used.

I've tins full of salvaged parts... The sad thing is that most if not
all of them will end up being thrown away as rubbish ! Probably by my
children after I pass on. :-(

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Wall speaker jacks Aaron Fude Home Repair 8 June 29th 09 06:35 AM
How important are jumping jacks? SteveB Home Repair 3 March 30th 08 12:08 AM
Old phone jacks miamicuse Home Repair 34 March 19th 07 02:22 PM
Do Lumber Jacks do it? [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 4th 07 10:22 PM
Rawl plugs / wall plugs - what's the secret? Peter Hucker UK diy 24 July 20th 05 02:45 AM