Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic inverter microwave repair

I have a very nice (read: expensive) Panasonic microwave oven in for
service. It will actually end up being mine, when it's completed. It uses a
SMPS and has some nice features. The display and control systems seem to
work just fine. Anyway, it throws the earth leakage detector switch when
attempting to cook. Once of the power transistors measures S/C, so my
intention is to replace both transistors (with OEM parts), along with the
bridge rectifier (which is suggested by the manufacturer). The question is
this:

If I replace the power supply parts, how likely is it that the magetron is
faulty and the power supply will, again, be destroyed on power up?

Should I replace the magetron on spec? I checked the terminals to earth and
there appears to be no leakage, but you can never tell with these critters.
I guess it's safe to Megger test the magnetron (500 Volts)?

I don't usually do microwave ovens, so this is new territory for me.

TIA

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:38:13 +1100, Trevor Wilson wrote:

[...]

My crystal ball is in for NIST certification so I can't conjure up an
answer for you.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

Don't waste your money. Those Japanese models are too small to get
decent accuracy. ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:38:13 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

[...]

FWIW, I repaired a Panasonic inverter microwave oven a couple of years
ago. After replacing the power transistors the oven worked fine.
However, I don't recall that it tripped the ELCB beforehand. Moreover,
I gave the oven away, so I don't know if it is still working.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

**Thanks Frank. I believe I'll take the chance.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au