DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   TV sucks (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/319857-tv-sucks.html)

LSMFT[_2_] March 7th 11 12:05 AM

TV sucks

I haven't seen one program tonight that somebody didn't **** up the
sound or screw up the picture or both. This country is going in the ****
tank.

--
LSMFT

Force ****s upon the Back of Reason...
Ben Franklin-

cjt March 7th 11 04:33 AM

TV sucks

On 3/6/2011 5:05 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I haven't seen one program tonight that somebody didn't **** up the
sound or screw up the picture or both. This country is going in the ****
tank.

Then you didn't watch Les Mis on PBS -- absolutely fantastic.

Sylvia Else[_2_] March 7th 11 04:35 AM

TV sucks

On 7/03/2011 10:05 AM, LSMFT wrote:
I haven't seen one program tonight that somebody didn't **** up the
sound or screw up the picture or both. This country is going in the ****
tank.

Which country?

Sylvia.

Boris Mohar[_3_] March 7th 11 02:58 PM

TV sucks

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:05:21 -0500, LSMFT wrote:

I haven't seen one program tonight that somebody didn't **** up the
sound or screw up the picture or both. This country is going in the ****
tank.

I agree. I am in Canada with Rogers Cable. Sound is all over the place
from channel to channel and it also varies on the same channel. I am not
talking about loud commercials.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

(PeteCresswell) March 7th 11 06:50 PM

TV sucks

Per Boris Mohar:
Sound is all over the place
from channel to channel and it also varies on the same channel.

Can anybody comment on lip synch?

Seems like it was especially egregious in the months after
analog-digital cutover and has been slowly improving.

Or am I just wishing?
--
PeteCresswell

William Sommerwerck March 7th 11 07:48 PM

TV sucks

Can anybody comment on lip sync?

On Comcast a few channels have imperfect lip sync. As to why -- I don't
know.

Jeff Liebermann March 7th 11 08:41 PM

TV sucks

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 10:48:00 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Can anybody comment on lip sync?

On Comcast a few channels have imperfect lip sync. As to why -- I don't
know.

Probably the political channels. It's difficult to talk through both
sides of the mouth and get it right. However, it's most likely an
artifact of multiple transcoding.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Meat Plow[_5_] March 7th 11 08:57 PM

TV sucks

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:48:00 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Can anybody comment on lip sync?

On Comcast a few channels have imperfect lip sync. As to why -- I don't
know.

I've only had a small problem with Discovery HD. Once in a while I get
some pixelation. Something you would expect with a less than adequate
signal. But that's not the case. And the cable company can't explain it.

Jeff Liebermann March 8th 11 01:31 AM

TV sucks

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:57:03 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:48:00 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Can anybody comment on lip sync?

On Comcast a few channels have imperfect lip sync. As to why -- I don't
know.

I've only had a small problem with Discovery HD. Once in a while I get
some pixelation. Something you would expect with a less than adequate
signal. But that's not the case. And the cable company can't explain it.

This might add fuel to the fire. Note that this is from a cable
industry insider, published in a CATV industry journal:

http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/2011/02/ciciora-corner-can-you-hear-me.aspx
Digital television has brought the scourge of “lip sync” errors.
Video signals and aural signals require vastly different
processing, which results in different amounts of processing time.
Unless appropriate additional artificial delay is added, the sound
and the video will end up out of synchronization. This difference
can accumulate if multiple conversions take place in the path from
the original source to the final display site. I’ve seen lip sync
discrepancies that were so bad, it appeared that the characters
were speaking another language and that the speech I was hearing
was dubbed in. The problem is so pervasive that my sound system
comes with a delay adjustment so that I can manually compensate at
home. That would be a reasonable solution if the delay was
constant from channel to channel, or even from program to program
on the same channel. But it is not.

On the home front, I've seen sound sync fall apart when ripping and
transcoding content from a DVD to some other video protocol. There
are tweaks for the problem, such as VLC which allows you to speed up
or slow down the audio using the "f" and "g" keys. You can also
"desync" the video and audio for a fixed user settable delay. The
problem is that controlling the sync seems to be too much of challenge
for broadcasters and cable companies. To make things worse, it seems
(to me) that different ATSC decoders have varying delays. It's
suppose to be controlled to between +15 and -45 msec but I'm beginning
to have my doubts:
http://www.pixelinstruments.tv/articles.htm
http://www.pixelinstruments.tv/articles5.htm
(Lots more on audio sync on the above URL).

Incidentally, if you also happen to notice that cable video doth suck,
you might find this article, from the same issue, rather illuminating:
http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/2011/02/transcoding-presto-change-o.aspx

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

Meat Plow[_5_] March 8th 11 01:38 AM

TV sucks

http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/...orner-can-you-

hear-me.aspx
Digital television has brought the scourge of “lip sync” errors.
Video signals and aural signals require vastly different processing,
which results in different amounts of processing time. Unless
appropriate additional artificial delay is added, the sound and the
video will end up out of synchronization. This difference can
accumulate if multiple conversions take place in the path from the
original source to the final display site. IÂ’ve seen lip sync
[...]

http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/...presto-change-

o.aspx

Bookmarked for perusal tomorrow morning after coffee.

JR North March 8th 11 04:54 AM

TV sucks

It's not just sound synch. Digital programming is littered with
digital artifacts in the display, and frequent LOS, even on hard
cable.
JR

Boris Mohar[_3_] March 8th 11 02:31 PM

TV sucks

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:50:59 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Boris Mohar:
Sound is all over the place
from channel to channel and it also varies on the same channel.

Can anybody comment on lip synch?

Seems like it was especially egregious in the months after
analog-digital cutover and has been slowly improving.

Or am I just wishing?

Yeah, that sucks too.
--
Boris

(PeteCresswell) March 8th 11 03:07 PM

TV sucks

Per Jeff Liebermann:
Video signals and aural signals require vastly different
processing, which results in different amounts of processing time.
Unless appropriate additional artificial delay is added...

Sounds like the digital TV standard(s) didn't include any means
for ensuring audio/video synch.
--
PeteCresswell

William Sommerwerck March 8th 11 03:26 PM

TV sucks

Sounds like the digital TV standard(s) didn't include
any means for ensuring audio/video sync.

I don't know if that's true, but many system controllers have the ability to
change the image/dialog offset.

Meat Plow[_5_] March 8th 11 06:51 PM

TV sucks

wrote:

[...]

the original source to the final display site. IÂ’ve seen lip sync
[...]

All a very good read. I've been around digital video since 1998. I've
worked with encoding/transcoding/etc.. for a decade. Current streaming
of popularity seems to be done in a TS (transport stream) container.
In order to get to that TS container obviously the raw video has to go
through several processes. Obviously there are not enough checks in place
to ensure the video and audio are sync'd.