Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Disc tray won't open

Sharp Mini Component System (model CD-C420)

When I press the OPEN/CLOSE button, the disc tray doesn't open.

How can I open the tray?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Open the unit and inspect it carefully to see if anything is jamming the
tray. It's also possible there's a problem with the switch that indicates
whether the tray is open or closed.

It's also possible the open/close button is kaput.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 6, 10:18*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
Open the unit and inspect it carefully to see if anything is jamming the
tray. It's also possible there's a problem with the switch that indicates
whether the tray is open or closed.

It's also possible the open/close button is kaput.

gunked up lubricant, belts slipping too.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Aha! I took the top of the 3-disc player off and discovered 4 (!)
discs.

I took them all out and the tray now opens and closes!

I then put 3 discs back in the tray and closed the tray.

But now, when each disc is positioned over the read lens, the disk
doesn't spin (it moves only about 1/2 inch and stops) and "No Disk" is
displayed on the front panel.

Suggestions?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Check the laser. It might be dirty. (Considering you had too many disks in
the changer, heaven knows what else might be there!)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I cleaned the laser, let it dry, reset the microprocessor and turned
the unit on.

Now, the disc is picked up and it spins but slowly.

Then, the disc tray rotates and the above actions occur with the next
disc.

The disc tray rotates again and the above actions occur with the last
disc.

Finally, "No Disc" is displayed on the front panel.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GARY wrote:
I cleaned the laser, let it dry, reset the microprocessor and turned
the unit on.

Now, the disc is picked up and it spins but slowly.

Then, the disc tray rotates and the above actions occur with the next
disc.

The disc tray rotates again and the above actions occur with the last
disc.

Finally, "No Disc" is displayed on the front panel.

Some units have a magnetic locking hub to clamp the disc in the center
so that the drive can spin it. Maybe the magnetic isn't working? Broken
wire? And then, others just have a mechanical clamp in which, you may
have a broken drive or associated mechanisms..

Sounds like a slipping drive train to me.

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The CD disc drive raises the disc until it presses against a round
plastic plate. The disc is "hovering" over the read laser. However,
the disc spins very slowly or moves only about 1" and stops. How do I
check for a "slipping drive train"?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The disc drive raises the disc until it presses against a round
plastic plate so the disc "hovers" over the read laser.

However, the disc spins very slowly or moves only about 1" and then
stops.

Where is the "drive train" and how do I check it to see if it is
slipping? Is there a belt?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"GARY" wrote in message
The disc drive raises the disc until it presses against a round
plastic plate so the disc "hovers" over the read laser.

However, the disc spins very slowly or moves only about 1" and then
stops.

Where is the "drive train" and how do I check it to see if it is
slipping? Is there a belt?

I wouldn't worry yourself about "slipping drive trains". It is *very*
unlikely that there is anything wrong with the disc positioning and
clamping. You can check for certain by spinning the disc with a finger after
it has stopped trying to spin it up. You will soon feel if the disc is not
firmly clamped to the turntable. The symptoms you are describing are
absolutely classic for a dirty or defective laser. Since you say that you
have cleaned the laser - I'm assuming of course that you know how to do this
properly - and it hasn't improved the situation, then that leaves a faulty
or worn out laser as the most likely bet.

There are other things that it can be, such as a defective connection
between the optical block and the servo board, or a fault in the servo
circuit itself. It could also be down to a defective spindle motor. They do
give trouble in most makes and models. You can often prove that by giving
the disc a 'flick' in the normal direction of rotation with a fingertip,
during that short period when it is trying to spin the disc up. Often, a bad
motor will 'take off' if helped like this, and will at least spin the disc
up to the point where the TOC can be read. It probably won't then go on to
actually play the disc, though.

Arfa