Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How-To: Common Cause Of Flat Panel PS Failure

This is common to almost all flat panel power supplies. There are 4
electrolytic capacitors (same physical size) on the switching PS.
There are 2) 1000uF X 10V and 2) 470uF X 15V that usually bulge and/or
fail. You shouldn't pay more than .25to .50c for each. (I used higher
voltage on the replacements of 1000x15 and 470x25)
Symptoms of failure a slow power-up or totally dead.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 6, 7:35*am, Bob Villa wrote:
This is common to almost all flat panel power supplies. There are 4
electrolytic capacitors (same physical size) on the switching PS.
There are 2) 1000uF X 10V and 2) 470uF X 15V that usually bulge and/or
fail. You shouldn't pay more than .25to .50c for each. (I used higher
voltage on the replacements of 1000x15 and 470x25)
Symptoms of failure a slow power-up or totally dead.

Look for highest ripple current rating. Nichicon HZ, HN, Panasonic FM

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 6, 3:31*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:52:54 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Mar 6, 7:35 am, Bob Villa wrote:
This is common to almost all flat panel power supplies. There are 4
electrolytic capacitors (same physical size) on the switching PS.
There are 2) 1000uF X 10V and 2) 470uF X 15V that usually bulge and/or
fail. You shouldn't pay more than .25to .50c for each. (I used higher
voltage on the replacements of 1000x15 and 470x25)
Symptoms of failure a slow power-up or totally dead.

Look for highest ripple current rating. Nichicon HZ, HN, Panasonic FM

Correct. *'Bob Villa' apparently wants repeat business as his high ESR
caps will fail quickly. *Note, 'Bob', good quality low ESR caps aren't
real expensive - you just aren't going to buy them at Radio Shack or
Caps R Us.

PlainBill

Got them from Newark (Illinois Cap. and Rubycon)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

On Mar 6, 3:31 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:52:54 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Mar 6, 7:35 am, Bob Villa wrote:
This is common to almost all flat panel power supplies. There are 4
electrolytic capacitors (same physical size) on the switching PS.
There are 2) 1000uF X 10V and 2) 470uF X 15V that usually bulge and/or
fail. You shouldn't pay more than .25to .50c for each. (I used higher
voltage on the replacements of 1000x15 and 470x25)
Symptoms of failure a slow power-up or totally dead.

Look for highest ripple current rating. Nichicon HZ, HN, Panasonic FM

Correct. 'Bob Villa' apparently wants repeat business as his high ESR
caps will fail quickly. Note, 'Bob', good quality low ESR caps aren't
real expensive - you just aren't going to buy them at Radio Shack or
Caps R Us.

PlainBill

Got them from Newark (Illinois Cap. and Rubycon)

Which series? The brand tells you nothing about their
specifications.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 23:56:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

wrote:

On Mar 6, 7:35 am, Bob Villa wrote:
This is common to almost all flat panel power supplies. There are 4
electrolytic capacitors (same physical size) on the switching PS.
There are 2) 1000uF X 10V and 2) 470uF X 15V that usually bulge and/or
fail. You shouldn't pay more than .25to .50c for each. (I used higher
voltage on the replacements of 1000x15 and 470x25)
Symptoms of failure a slow power-up or totally dead.

Look for highest ripple current rating. Nichicon HZ, HN, Panasonic FM

Going to a higher voltage usually raises the initial ESR. That kind
of defeats the purpose of repairing the equipment.

Opposite, higher voltage rating usually lowers ESR Check the datasheets.

Grant.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 6, 10:57*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

On Mar 6, 3:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

I'll let you know when they fail...dip-****! (Original crap lasted 5
yrs)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 03:14:12 -0800, Bob Villa wrote:

On Mar 6, 10:57Â*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

On Mar 6, 3:31 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:52:54 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Mar 6, 7:35 am, Bob Villa wrote:
This is common to almost all flat panel power supplies. There
are 4 electrolytic capacitors (same physical size) on the
switching PS. There are 2) 1000uF X 10V and 2) 470uF X 15V that
usually bulge and/or fail. You shouldn't pay more than .25to
.50c for each. (I used higher voltage on the replacements of
1000x15 and 470x25) Symptoms of failure a slow power-up or
totally dead.

Look for highest ripple current rating. Nichicon HZ, HN, Panasonic
FM

Correct. Â*'Bob Villa' apparently wants repeat business as his high
ESR caps will fail quickly. Â*Note, 'Bob', good quality low ESR caps
aren't real expensive - you just aren't going to buy them at Radio
Shack or Caps R Us.

PlainBill

Got them from Newark (Illinois Cap. and Rubycon)

Â* Â*Which series? Â*The brand tells you nothing about their
specifications.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

I'll let you know when they fail...dip-****! (Original crap lasted 5
yrs)

FAIL. You're out of your element here. Go back and troll alt.home.repair.
Your bull**** might be better told there where you don't have real repair
techs who did/do this kind of stuff for a living.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

On Mar 6, 3:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

I'm only relating what I did/or found to fix a problem I had...if you
****heads want to add to that...your purgative.
Sorry if it has been covered here before.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

On Mar 6, 3:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

Dip****? You don't even know how to snip a sig file, let alone
anything about real troubleshooting. I've been finding and replacing
bad electrolytics for over 45 years.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Mar 6, 7:35 am, Bob Villa wrote:
This is common to almost all flat panel power supplies. There are 4
electrolytic capacitors (same physical size) on the switching PS.
There are 2) 1000uF X 10V and 2) 470uF X 15V that usually bulge and/or
fail. You shouldn't pay more than .25to .50c for each. (I used higher
voltage on the replacements of 1000x15 and 470x25)
Symptoms of failure a slow power-up or totally dead.

Look for highest ripple current rating. Nichicon HZ, HN, Panasonic FM

Going to a higher voltage usually raises the initial ESR. That kind
of defeats the purpose of repairing the equipment.

Opposite, higher voltage rating usually lowers ESR Check the datasheets.

It depends on the construction ot the Electrolytic. Some larger size
cans have four identical capacitors in parallel, inside the can to lower
the ESR. A lot don't.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 7, 6:18*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I'll let you know when they fail...dip-****! (Original crap lasted 5
yrs)

* *Dip****? *You don't even know how to snip a sig file, let alone
anything about real troubleshooting. *I've been finding and replacing
bad electrolytics for over 45 years.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Do YOU even know how to read? I put this out there...if you want to
add to it from your experience go to it. There are people who are just
trying to save some money and fix things themselves. Lighten up...I
don't need to belong to your ****ing club!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

On Mar 6, 7:35 am, Bob Villa wrote:
This is common to almost all flat panel power supplies. There are 4
electrolytic capacitors (same physical size) on the switching PS.
There are 2) 1000uF X 10V and 2) 470uF X 15V that usually bulge and/or
fail. You shouldn't pay more than .25to .50c for each. (I used higher
voltage on the replacements of 1000x15 and 470x25)
Symptoms of failure a slow power-up or totally dead.

Look for highest ripple current rating. Nichicon HZ, HN, Panasonic FM

Going to a higher voltage usually raises the initial ESR. That kind
of defeats the purpose of repairing the equipment.

I'm not entirely sure that I go along with that, Michael. The chart of
'expected' ESRs on the front of Bob Parker's meter, would suggest that
increasing the working voltage for a given capacitance value, produces ever
lower ESR figures, until you get up to about 100v working, when the trend
reverses slightly, and small increases are then recorded ... I've always
found that chart of his a pretty good guide.

I've seen some brands that didn't follow that chart very well. The
cheaper brands seem more like they set the spec with a dartboard. I had
datasheets for over fifty brands t one time, and some so called low ESR
were no better than the lowest grade of standard electrolytics. Other
do follow Bob Parker's chart quite well.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I'll let you know when they fail...dip-****! (Original crap lasted 5
yrs)

Dip****? You don't even know how to snip a sig file, let alone
anything about real troubleshooting. I've been finding and replacing
bad electrolytics for over 45 years.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Do YOU even know how to read? I put this out there...if you want to
add to it from your experience go to it. There are people who are just
trying to save some money and fix things themselves. Lighten up...I
don't need to belong to your ****ing club!

Posting half assed information helps no one, and bad electrolytics in
power supplies have been a problem since the '20s. Also, no one needs
your childish rants. There are enough crybabies who pop into the group
and think they are a genius, without you.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Arfa

Even Bob P. isn't very happy with the chart - it is only a guideline,
not a code sheet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6kgS_AwuH0

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 7, 9:13*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

Do YOU even know how to read? I put this out there...if you want to
add to it from your experience go to it. There are people who are just
trying to save some money and fix things themselves. Lighten up...I
don't need to belong to your ****ing club!

* *Posting half assed information helps no one, and bad electrolytics in
power supplies have been a problem since the '20s. *Also, no one needs
your childish rants. *There are enough crybabies who pop into the group
and think they are a genius, without you.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Hey Mike when can I expect this PSU to fail...a few years from now?
Thanks for your gracious responses.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

Do YOU even know how to read? I put this out there...if you want to
add to it from your experience go to it. There are people who are just
trying to save some money and fix things themselves. Lighten up...I
don't need to belong to your ****ing club!

Posting half assed information helps no one, and bad electrolytics in
power supplies have been a problem since the '20s. Also, no one needs
your childish rants. There are enough crybabies who pop into the group
and think they are a genius, without you.

Hey Mike when can I expect this PSU to fail...a few years from now?
Thanks for your gracious responses.

When can you post a real question?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 31, 6:20*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Hey Mike when can I expect this PSU to fail...a few years from now?
Thanks for your gracious responses.

* *When can you post a real question?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Alas, the mastertech doesn't understand sarcasm.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hey Mike when can I expect this PSU to fail...a few years from now?
Thanks for your gracious responses.

When can you post a real question?

Alas, the mastertech doesn't understand sarcasm.

You can't even do sarcasm well, and I'm not being sarcastic.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hey Mike when can I expect this PSU to fail...a few years from now?
Thanks for your gracious responses.

* *When can you post a real question?

Alas, the mastertech doesn't understand sarcasm.

* *You can't even do sarcasm well, and I'm not being sarcastic.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

The only thing you do well...other than being a critic...is please
yourself.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hey Mike when can I expect this PSU to fail...a few years from now?
Thanks for your gracious responses.

When can you post a real question?

Alas, the mastertech doesn't understand sarcasm.

You can't even do sarcasm well, and I'm not being sarcastic.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

The only thing you do well...other than being a critic...is please
yourself.

Yawn. I built KU band communications equiment that is aboard the
ISS, and all you do is whine.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hey Mike when can I expect this PSU to fail...a few years from now?
Thanks for your gracious responses.

* *When can you post a real question?

Alas, the mastertech doesn't understand sarcasm.

* *You can't even do sarcasm well, and I'm not being sarcastic.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

The only thing you do well...other than being a critic...is please
yourself.

* *Yawn. *I built KU band communications equiment that is aboard the
ISS, and all you do is whine.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Holy Crap! I must have cut you deep...now you need to brag. I am so
impressed...especially how you belittle people instead of helping
them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sigh. You don't want help. You were bragging about your 'fix'. I
have helped thousands of people over the last 45 years, but only those
that wanted help.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I researched the cause of common failures and related what I
found...all you needed to do was suggest using better/more appropriate
capacitors. Instead you and "Meatball" chose to belittle my effort.
My only thought in posting was that someone else might fix their flat
panel and save it from the trash.
Good Day Sir!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Villa is a troll. He trolls alt.home.repair with the same bull****.
Probably a few others too.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your illuminating supposition.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

He's not even a decent troll.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I only used "troll" because it was the closest thing to what he does I
could think of. I think the whole story was made up.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, he is just a low grade troll. He tried to email me more of his
childish insults, but they bounced because he isn't white listed.

If he really did replace the caps, he would have used lead free
plumbing solder with 'Ruby flux', and WD40 to wet the mess.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

LOL Luzer.

If he really did replace the caps, he would have used lead free
plumbing solder with 'Ruby flux', and WD40 to wet the mess.

nods

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I can't fix stupid. I can't even put a Band-Aid™ on myself, because I'm
Teflon coated.

Who is childish here? And you know there were insults...but you didn't
see them?
And your sig is much improved!