Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Jeantech JN120-450-AP, ATX PSU.

A relative donated this, said it was sparking when switched on.

On opening the case I found a group of electrolytics behind the bunch of
output wires had vented.

Does anyone know of a specific component failure that causes the regulation
to go haywire?

There's brown glue on the sub-panel on the primary side, this was a common
cause of problems with CRT monitors.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Quite a few people will repair computer PSUs, but new replacements are
readily available and not very expensive.
Almost any new PSU will be much more reliable than a repaired used one.

The actual value of a used, failed, then repaired PSU is very low.. both
monitarily and from a reliability perspective, IMO.

I'll generally save the wire leads and the AC cord receptacle, screws, and
little else.

The capacitors may have failed because they were very low quality parts..
I'd expect that the other parts would be of approximately the same quality.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Ian Field" wrote in message
A relative donated this, said it was sparking when switched on.

On opening the case I found a group of electrolytics behind the bunch of
output wires had vented.

Does anyone know of a specific component failure that causes the
regulation to go haywire?

There's brown glue on the sub-panel on the primary side, this was a common
cause of problems with CRT monitors.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:16:01 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

A relative donated this, said it was sparking when switched on.

On opening the case I found a group of electrolytics behind the bunch of
output wires had vented.

Does anyone know of a specific component failure that causes the regulation
to go haywire?

There's brown glue on the sub-panel on the primary side, this was a common
cause of problems with CRT monitors.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Vented electrolytics are a likely cause of poor requlation. The caps
didn't vent because the output voltage was too high, they vented
because they were poorly manufactured.

One intelligent approach would be to replace every cap on the
secondary side with name brand low ESR caps of the original voltage
and capacity. Also replace any small (100 µF) caps on the primary
side, as well as any high voltage electrolytics on the primary side
that look in any way suspicious. My preferred capacitor for use in
teh secondary of a SMPS is Panasonic FM or FC series. Rubycon,
Nichicon, United Chemicon also make high quality caps.

Another equally valid approach is to buy a new good quality power
supply. Not only are the cheap power supplies built with crap caps,
the fans are garbage also.

PlainBill