Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tripp Lite PR60 power supply problem

Someone gave me one of these that he says smoked. I found a small
burned diode, (looks like a 1N4000 series size) on the regulator
board.This diode was soldered accross C1 with the cathode connected to
the positive terminal of C1.This part looks like it must have been a
production change as all other parts are labled on the board but this
one the board is not labled for it and so it looks like it was a
factory modification. Tripp Lite won't help me at all with this
problem. So I was hoping that someone might have run into this before
who might have any information on this and/or perhaps a schematic that
they could share. Thanks for any help. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:54:20 -0800, klem kedidelhopper wrote:

Someone gave me one of these that he says smoked. I found a small burned
diode, (looks like a 1N4000 series size) on the regulator board.This
diode was soldered accross C1 with the cathode connected to the positive
terminal of C1.This part looks like it must have been a production
change as all other parts are labled on the board but this one the board
is not labled for it and so it looks like it was a factory modification.
Tripp Lite won't help me at all with this problem. So I was hoping that
someone might have run into this before who might have any information
on this and/or perhaps a schematic that they could share. Thanks for any
help. Lenny

What happens when you replace the diode?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 1, 3:11*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:54:20 -0800, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
Someone gave me one of these that he says smoked. I found a small burned
diode, *(looks like a 1N4000 series size) on the regulator board.This
diode was soldered accross C1 with the cathode connected to the positive
terminal of C1.This part looks like it must have been a production
change as all other parts are labled on the board but this one the board
is not labled for it and so it looks like it was a factory modification..
Tripp Lite won't help me at all with this problem. So I was hoping that
someone might have run into this before who might have any information
on this and/or perhaps a schematic that they could share. Thanks for any
help. Lenny

What happens when you replace the diode?

WelI I haven't replaced it as of yet because I don't know if it was
just a diode or a zener. And not knowing this and what else might be
wrong I wouldn't want to compound the problem. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:35:56 -0800, klem kedidelhopper wrote:

On Dec 1, 3:11Â*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:54:20 -0800, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
Someone gave me one of these that he says smoked. I found a small
burned diode, Â*(looks like a 1N4000 series size) on the regulator
board.This diode was soldered accross C1 with the cathode connected
to the positive terminal of C1.This part looks like it must have been
a production change as all other parts are labled on the board but
this one the board is not labled for it and so it looks like it was a
factory modification. Tripp Lite won't help me at all with this
problem. So I was hoping that someone might have run into this before
who might have any information on this and/or perhaps a schematic
that they could share. Thanks for any help. Lenny

What happens when you replace the diode?

WelI I haven't replaced it as of yet because I don't know if it was just
a diode or a zener. And not knowing this and what else might be wrong I
wouldn't want to compound the problem. Lenny

If it's a zener it would be clamping voltage on a reg circuit. Not
knowing what C1 is or does it's hard to say what its function is but
I would take an educated guess and say it's not a zener. I suppose you'll
need to figure out how C1 plays into the circuit. Personally I would ramp
the source up using a variac and watch what kind of voltage developed
where the cathode should be and take into consideration C1's rated
voltage and maybe develop a schematic in my head.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

--
Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I don't think that its a zener either. Its just that with the
cathode on + it doesn't seem like it could be forward biased so what
is it doing there? I haven't tried to draw it out but this otherwise
appears to be a straight forward 723 based linear regulator circuit.
The way this thing is built though its virtually impossible to reverse
engineer it. I do like your idea of using the variac for testing. I
have a small variac but with a small load on the PR60 ouput I don't
think it should be much of a problem. It ****es me off how
uncooperative most of these manufacturers have gotten in the past few
years. Back in the 60's when I started in electronics you could get
anything from most anyone. Today you would think I was asking for
state secrets.This is an obsolete model. What the hell difference
would it make to give me a schematic? Not like I'm going to try to
mass produce these things. I would just like to get it going for
myself. Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 13:28:11 -0800, klem kedidelhopper wrote:

On Dec 1, 3:53Â*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

rated voltage and maybe develop a Â*schematic in my head.

--
[...]

Years ago I bought a used Nady 201 that I wanted to switch channels.
Requiredan xtal change and some tweaking of the RF circuits for both the
xmitter and rxcvr. I finally got someone to talk to me at Nady. Even sent
me some schematics. I called back maybe 2 weeks later and that person was
no longer employed there. Seems at least back then it would take a
Wikileak to get any info from Nady. This guy probably got the boot for
giving me some tech literature. And Nady wanted back in around 1992 $69
+S/H to re-channel the 201. I had the info on the xtal parameters and
sent the data to Jan xtal. They made a new set of xtals for $14.99. Took
me 5 minutes to align. Still have the units.

Your diode might suppress some kind of transients in that config. May
help C1 live longer, hard to tell.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 20:11:33 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

What happens when you replace the diode?

My clit flicks.
--
Don't **** with me. I'm tuff. And stupid but don't dare **** with me.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:04:09 -0500, Nancy Norelli puked:

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 20:11:33 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

What happens when you replace the diode?

My clit flicks.

That's a horrific thought.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 1, 4:46*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

Maybee I'll replacethe diode with a 1N4004 lets say and plan on
possibly doingthe 723 as well. There are no shorted transistors on the
output so I guess we'll see. It can always go to the metal pile if
need be. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I saw a reference to the T-L PR-60 PSU schematic being available at this
website (in 2005)
http://www.cbtricks.com/

I don't see the schematic listed, but an email to someone at CB Tricks may
be worthwhile.

Otherwise, a voltage regulator circuit isn't extremely complicated, and many
examples can be found in the ARRL Handbooks (library) or various online
plans.

--
Cheers,
WB

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message
Someone gave me one of these that he says smoked. I found a small
burned diode, (looks like a 1N4000 series size) on the regulator
board.This diode was soldered accross C1 with the cathode connected to
the positive terminal of C1.This part looks like it must have been a
production change as all other parts are labled on the board but this
one the board is not labled for it and so it looks like it was a
factory modification. Tripp Lite won't help me at all with this
problem. So I was hoping that someone might have run into this before
who might have any information on this and/or perhaps a schematic that
they could share. Thanks for any help. Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I saw a reference to the T-L PR-60 PSU schematic being available at this
website (in 2005)
http://www.cbtricks.com/

Is there a crowbar scr in there? It could be a zener used as an overvoltage
protector.

tm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 1, 8:39*pm, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
[...]

they could share. Thanks for any help. Lenny- Hide quoted text -

I tried to register on their site but it was an excercise in
frustration. How would I contact anyone there?
Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:28:11 -0800 (PST) klem kedidelhopper
wrote in Message id:
:

Yeah I don't think that its a zener either. Its just that with the
cathode on + it doesn't seem like it could be forward biased so what
is it doing there?

Reverse voltage protection for the cap?
Junior Member

I have owned this Poor PR60 for years. I have repaired it more times that I can remember. Pass Transistors failed, Caps exploding and Regulator board etc. Here is one solution. Get the regulator board from Astron use Main Transformer, SCR and Pass Transistors.

I have one thats failed mode. I will revert to astron regulator board and single Capacitor. I will post more to follow. It wont be hard.

victor