DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Icom IC-7000 VHF/UHF Transceiver "Adjustment Mode" (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/311756-re-icom-ic-7000-vhf-uhf-transceiver-adjustment-mode.html)

[email protected] October 16th 10 01:12 PM

Icom IC-7000 VHF/UHF Transceiver "Adjustment Mode"

Hi Fred,

I should have said the UHF is set to "100%", but it is putting out
around 50 percent.

I am sorry Fred, I have no idea why you are having that issue with
the frequency adjustment. I am assuming, after you adjusted, you pressed "F-4
(SET).

Would you please tell me if you can change the value on the display
beyond the "Total Gain"? Simply rotate the main Dial and see if the
number changes. On my IC-7000, no change occurs.

Thank You in advance, John N3AOF

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 20:44:31 -0400, in sci.electronics.repair you wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I downloaded the service manual from
www.mods.dk and followed
the procedure to enter the "Adjustment" mode.

John-

If I understand, you are trying to increase power beyond 100%. My
thought is that you are getting all you can with the hardware you have.
The hardware may be defective and the computer can't compensate for that.

My problem is with frequency adjustment. When I enter the Adjustment
mode, I can set the oscillator frequency to exactly what it should be.
However, frequency returns to the previous value when I leave the
Adjustment mode. If I re-enter Adjustment mode, the oscillator
frequency goes back to the correct value, and again reverts when exiting
Adjustment mode.

Do you or anyone else know what I might be doing wrong? Is there a step
I'm missing that makes changes "take"?

Fred
K4DII

Fred McKenzie October 17th 10 12:05 AM

wrote:

Would you please tell me if you can change the value on the display
beyond the "Total Gain"? Simply rotate the main Dial and see if the
number changes. On my IC-7000, no change occurs.

John-

I don't have the ability to inject 3mV @ 1.5KHz into the microphone
connector. Therefore I get zero output unless I speak or whistle into
the microphone. Just rotating the main dial makes no difference. I
don't see a number, just the output scale that reads up to 100.

I see that for "TX Total Gain(430M)", the correct output setting is 17.5
Watts. It isn't until a later step that you set (Po Max(430M) for 35
Watts.

If you can't get the power up to either value, the UHF amplifier module
may have a problem. Since it isn't completely dead, you may decide to
keep it that way rather than pay the price for a replacement. I
wouldn't be surprised if you can buy a used IC-7000 for little more than
the price of the module!

I'm sure I pressed the "F-4 (SET)" button. I suppose there could be a
firmware upgrade needed.

Fred
K4DII

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---