DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Brown magnet material ? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/302130-brown-magnet-material.html)

N_Cook April 26th 10 05:08 PM

Brown magnet material ?

What is it called? I just used some to repair a broken springline pickup, as
it is easily cut with a razor to make 2 parts to go over the wire suspension
and through the anchor assembly , required to be about 2mm diameter and 4mm
long . Came from a 4 pole multipole motor from a scrapped early VCR, before
rare earth magnets came in. This one a ring about 85mm diameter. Also what
is the generic name for those multipole, spoked former for the coils and
rotating magnets type of motors ?

William Sommerwerck April 26th 10 07:01 PM

Brown magnet material ?

What is it called?

Ferrite?

There are flexible ferrites (magnetic material mixed with polymers) than can
be easily cut.

David Nebenzahl April 26th 10 07:39 PM

Brown magnet material ?

On 4/26/2010 11:01 AM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

N_Cook expostulated:

What is it called?

Ferrite?

There are flexible ferrites (magnetic material mixed with polymers) than can
be easily cut.

Like the stuff used to keep refrigerator doors closed worldwide.

Phil Allison[_2_] April 26th 10 11:40 PM

Brown magnet material ?

"Nutcase Kook "

What is it called? I just used some to repair a broken springline pickup,
as
it is easily cut with a razor

** Only plastic or rubber magnets can be easily cut, ie fridge magnets.

to make 2 parts to go over the wire suspension
and through the anchor assembly , required to be about 2mm diameter and
4mm
long .

** Funny way to describe a reverb tank's miniature tube magnet.

Came from a 4 pole multipole motor from a scrapped early VCR, before
rare earth magnets came in. This one a ring about 85mm diameter.

** Normally they use hard ferrite magnets.

Also what
is the generic name for those multipole, spoked former for the coils and
rotating magnets type of motors ?

** Brushless DC.

Yaawwnnnnnnn....

..... Phil

N_Cook April 27th 10 09:00 AM

Brown magnet material ?

David Nebenzahl wrote in message
.com...
On 4/26/2010 11:01 AM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

N_Cook expostulated:

What is it called?

Ferrite?

There are flexible ferrites (magnetic material mixed with polymers) than

can
be easily cut.

Like the stuff used to keep refrigerator doors closed worldwide.

Not looked behind any of those but I had forgotten about those flexible
sheets for metal noticeboard anchors which are brown and weak.
But the black hard material of inductive tuning slugs are also called
ferrite.

About 4 times the mV response on my remade spring line compared to the
unbroken original one of the pair for same input. Will await any verbal
feedback on strength or tone of the new reverb tank