Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RJO RJO is offline

Default Sony ICF-SW7600 portable radio -- all static

I've had a great Sony SW7600 portable shortwave/AM/FM radio for years
and it has worked very well. It's probably been on for more than ten
thousand hours overall. This is the model:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...icfsw7600.html

A few months ago it started giving only loud static when turned on,
even when tuned to a standard station. If I left it on for an hour or
two it would usually snap back to normal operation and the station
would come in clear again. But now it's gotten to the point that it
never comes back: only loud static when turned on, and for all the
time it is left on. You can faintly detect the signal in the
background in most cases, but it's drowned out by the static. (These
are strong stations I've listened to for a long time; something
changed in the radio, not the environment.)

My mechanical intuition tells me the problem is simple, but I know
nothing about electronics. Is anyone familiar with these old workhorse
portables? If the repair is more complex than whacking it with a
hammer I probably couldn't do it myself, but perhaps it would be worth
sending it out for repair? Or should I toss it in the wastebasket?
Sell it for parts on eBay?

Many thanks.

Bob
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 23, 6:56*pm, RJO wrote:
[...]

From your description, it could be a failure of the solder. Sony has
been notorious for solder problems depending on the factory and
product as well as era it was made. If you can open the set and
operate it, then you could gently probe the components with a thin
insulated probe to see if a bit of pressure in an area restores
operation. One problem doing this is that if the defective joint is
actually moved, it can restore operation for hours, days or months
before it re-appears, If prodding does restore operation, then it is
often effective to simply resolder every joint that looks even
slightly suspect with a suitable small iron and top quality rosin
solder. If the radio is not RoHS compliant, then use tin-lead 63-37
solder.
If prodding around has no effect, the problem might be a defective
semi-conductor. You might also consider replacing all the electrolytic
caps since they are prone to going high ESR with age, again depending
on the date and make.

Neil S.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

RJO wrote in message
[...]

What voltage source keeps the stations in memory ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RJO RJO is offline

Thanks very much for these detailed insights. Perhaps if I get
adventurous (I'm not an electronics person) I'll open the case and
poke around with a toothpick to see if it changes anything. It may
well be from my amateur position that this will turn out to be more
expensive to repair than would be worth it. It has been a great radio
though, and if anyone gets the chance to acquire one in good condition
they should take it. If the toothpick treatment doesn't work maybe
someone will want it for parts, since 90% of it is still in good
shape.

Bob

On Apr 23, 10:40*pm, nesesu wrote:

From your description, it could be a failure of the solder. Sony has
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

C126 is double layer capacitor that keeps memory channels for near 30 minutes. It is primarily just backup while you change batteries.

On Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 11:24:27 AM UTC-5, N_Cook wrote:
RJO wrote in message
[...]

Sony ICF-SW7600 no AM and FM reception Frank-Stefan Müller Electronics Repair 3 October 6th 09 11:54 AM
Static Sound in Radio Volume Control Michael Electronics Repair 25 January 4th 09 08:59 PM
radio static zirath Electronics Repair 5 September 30th 08 02:53 PM
Car radio static...AM w/key on or running [email protected] Electronics Repair 17 September 20th 05 06:16 PM
GFCI & radio static Jim Elbrecht Home Repair 2 January 1st 05 04:10 PM