Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Problem with HDMI connection.

I am connecting my PC to my TV to use as second monitor using a hdmi
cable/connection.
The TV has 4 hdmi ports, however after a while one of them stopped working
properly, ie
I got 'noise' on the screen, a bit like lines of 'glitter' across the
screen.

Anyway I switched to a second port and that seemed to work fine....for a
while, then
that too developed the same kind of problem.

Anyway I try a third port and that works fine. However I am getting worried
now because
I have only had the TV about 3 months and the ports seem to only last a
about a month
and a half.

I connect a cable to the port almost every day and disconnect it after, so
the port
sees a lot of 'action' and I am wondering if I have damaged it.
It seems a delicate connection consideing the size and weight of the cable,
the metal
contacts/threads look about a millimetre of less wide, easy to damage I
would imagine.

Anyway I have a look at the ports and they appear fine as far as I can see
(not very
easy to see in though!!), however I notice on the cable one of the pins
appears to be
short.

According to this image it is a +5 volt pin
http://www.h-online.com/open/imgs/45...2cf765c641.jpg

However also note on the image the same pin seems to be short, as it does
he-
http://www.blogcdn.com/hd.engadget.c...cking-hdmi.jpg

So I expect it is not needed.

Actually that is disappointing as it appears to rule out a fault with the
cable, which
is easier to resolve.

It woudl be handy if you could have a look at your cables and tell me if
they all have this
'feature' (I only have one cable).

It does however make sense it is not the cable, because othersewise it would
not work
in any socket, and it works in the two I have very rarely used.

It is this TV by the way:-
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro...TACHI-L32VP03U

Maybe that is why it was so relatively cheap?

It will be a real pain if I have to return it, however it looks like I will,
should be
no problem as it's only 3 months old.

Also I expect a lot of other TV's will have the same problem as HDMI has a
lot of delicate
connections going to it.

It also has a VGA connector so maybe I should get a VGA cable instead?

Or I have been thinking of getting a short male to female connector and
leaving it in
the socket so it experience less stress.

Any thought? Anyone had similar problems?