Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default First Marshall use of PbF ? / Test for PbF

Just found 4 PbF faults on a 2003 AS50R, no mention of RoHS/PbF on the pcb
as pre-2006. Distortion after an hour of normal use
Appearance probably but not definitively PbF, shallow cones rather than
domes but no pastey/crackle-finish or white blotchiness. Anyone have any
precise knowledge about their first using date?

I'm thinking of using my never used thermocouple monitored variable temp OK
soldering iron set up for a tester, if it will go that low.
185C/365F for SnPb and 217C/422F for production PbF seems about the
temperatures. Olive oil in a heated bath (with flammability precautions in
place) will go up to 210 deg C without smoking or boiling. Would adjusting
down the preset range and setting the tip for 200 deg C / 400 deg F make a
Go/No-go test to discriminate , as long as IC pad size solder blobs, ie
little heatsinking. Anyone any input on heat-transfer/heatsinking/elevated
temp requirement to differentiate the 2 types of solder ? or just suck it
and see around 200 deg C with both types of definitely known pieces of
solder wire off the reel

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote in message
[...]

I calibrated the iron tip in an oil bath with a 250 deg C glass
thermometer, to a known 200 deg C with the heater LED slow intermittent.
Tried distinguishing known 60/40 leaded solder and known silver solder
95.5/4/.5 and had to drop the set point down to 188 C to melt leaded solder
wire on the tip and not melt silver solder wire. More than just the test
part of the tip in the oil so perhaps explains the lower set point. Swathed
the tip with tallow-looking conventional solder flux over the tip to assist
action. So distinguishing Pb/Sn and production PbF should be more
straightforward with this "test iron" . Testing on IC/small transistor
pad/joints and then by inference the same solder used in the usual suspect
areas, ie larger pads, larger leads but PbF not up to the job.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"N_Cook" wrote in -
september.org:

N_Cook wrote in message
Just found 4 PbF faults on a 2003 AS50R, no mention of RoHS/PbF on the pcb
as pre-2006. Distortion after an hour of normal use
Appearance probably but not definitively PbF, shallow cones rather than
domes but no pastey/crackle-finish or white blotchiness. Anyone have any
precise knowledge about their first using date?

I'm thinking of using my never used thermocouple monitored variable temp

OK

I think I would use a hot air gun with digital temp control such as
http://www.web-tronics.com/hotairgunwdi.html

I have one of these and find it to be quite useful for soldering and
desoldering.

You may find the following table useful:

[quote]
C F
183 361.4 63/37 It has the lowest melting point (183 °C or 361.4 °F)
of all the tin/lead alloys; and
220 428 SnAg3.0Cu0.5, tin with 3% silver and 0.5% copper, has a
melting point of 217 to 220 °C
218 424.4 SnAg3.5Cu0.7 is another commonly used alloy, with melting
point of 217-218 °C.
217 422.6 SnAg3.5Cu0.9, with melting point of 217 °C, is determined
by NIST to be truly eutectic.
218 424.4 SnAg3.8Cu0.7, with melting point 217-218 °C, is preferred
by the European IDEALS consortium for reflow soldering.
223 433.4 SnAg3.8Cu0.7Sb0.25 is preferred by the European IDEALS
consortium for wave soldering.
32 SnAg3.9Cu0.6, with melting point 217-223 °C, is recommended by
the US NEMI consortium for reflow soldering.
32
227 440.6 SnCu0.7, with melting point of 227 °C, is a cheap
alternative for wave soldering, recommended by the US NEMI consortium.
199 390.2 SnZn9, with melting point of 199 °C, is a cheaper alloy but
is prone to corrosion and oxidation.
198 388.4 SnZn8Bi3, with melting point of 191-198 °C, is also prone
to corrosion and oxidation due to its zinc content.
240 464 SnSb5, tin with 5% of antimony, is the US plumbing industry
standard. Its melting point is 232-240 °C. It displays good resistance to
thermal fatigue and good shear strength.
225 437 SnAg2.5Cu0.8Sb0.5 melts at 217-225 °C and is patented by AIM
alliance.
208 406.4 SnIn8.0Ag3.5Bi0.5 melts at 197 to 208 °C and is patented by
Matsu****a/Panasonic.
139 282.2 SnBi57Ag1 melts at 137-139 °C and is patented by Motorola.
138 280.4 SnBi58 melts at 138 °C.
118 244.4 SnIn52 melts at 118 °C and is suitable for the cases where
low-temperature soldering is needed.
[unquote]

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bz wrote in message
98.139...
"N_Cook" wrote in -
september.org:

N_Cook wrote in message
[...]

Which would be likely most common PbF in consumer goods ? presumably the 227
°C cheap one